It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures, Images, Media and File Sizes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I've gone through the search engines and numerous threads before to try and find out if there's any rules in the forum on file sizes and if there's any limitations to the number of pictures-images that can be uploaded and I'm not finding any answers.

So my specific questions on images-pictures are ....

1. Is there a limitation to the number of images-pictures that can be added to a post and if so, what is the limitation? Is the limitation based off the number of stars a person has earned as a member? Is the limitation with regards to file sizes of each picture-image?

I've noticed that ATS automatically downsizes the width of any picture-image posted in a thread to 600 pixels wide but doesn't automatically downsize the actual file size in KB.

2. If a user like myself downsizes their own file sizes in width (like each image-pic between 300-550 pixels) and KB (like each image between 20KB to 60KB) can they post more images-pics in a post just as long as the total for the post is below 1MB? 1.5MB? 2MB? What's the limitation?

Cause some of the video uploaded is well more than 2MB, so what's the limitations on images-pics (in jpg or gif format)?

I'm asking because I wanted to do an original educational thread on coastlines of sunken islands. Stuff that isn't on the net anywhere with mini-maps of each island. Along with information about above ground and underwater archeological discoveries for each island. It will probably be around 40 small maps when I'm done for the one thread. Right now I'm at 23 maps and I've already downsized all of them between 300-550 pixels in width and the total for 23 combined is 949KB (individually 20KB to 60KB) downsizing the KB size.

And then I thought about it...what if I get all the rest of them downsized and what if ATS has limitations that I don't know about? So what are the limitations if any?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MapMistress

If you click the tool's tab in the top of page and then Upload's tab, there is some guide lines there that might help you.

2'nd line

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

[color=FFC45E]Warning: I may not know too much, but I will give it a try.

I am wondering if maybe you don't frequent this site daily, or maybe just for a shorter time than many of the ATS addicts?

The reason I ask is because to me, this seems like terrible timing. Not intentional I am sure, but maybe you are not aware that there is a new uploading system, that was just released(*?) to us, during this past week? It is still in the beta trial(*?) mode.

*Not sure if 'released' and 'trial' are the appropriate terms, but as far as I know, they are close enough.

SO first posted this↓ thread 4 days ago, on 9/21/11
New, Fully Integrated, ATS Member Upload utility (UPDATED: and more info)

I'm asking because I wanted to do an original educational thread on coastlines of sunken islands. Stuff that isn't on the net anywhere with mini-maps of each island. Along with information about above ground and underwater archeological discoveries for each island. It will probably be around 40 small maps when I'm done for the one thread. Right now I'm at 23 maps and I've already downsized all of them between 300-550 pixels in width and the total for 23 combined is 949KB (individually 20KB to 60KB) downsizing the KB size.

This does sound very interesting. The fact that I personally know nothing about the particular subject, just makes it that much more intriguing. If I was you, I would probably think about holding off on shrinking down any more pics, until after the BETA run of this new system, and until finding out for sure, if there actually are any limitations. As of right now, there is a limitation of 500 kb/pic, but that is during the BETA period, and is not per post.

One thing to keep in mind about limiting the amount that you put into a post, or a thread, is to remember that some people have crappy computers and/or crappy internet. For example: too many youtube videos, on a single page of a thread, may cause some people major problems, and they may not actually be able to load everything.

I've noticed that ATS automatically downsizes the width of any picture-image posted in a thread to 600 pixels wide but doesn't automatically downsize the actual file size in KB.

I know that some pics are posted, that are far too big, which actually makes them difficult to see. Sometimes they will have a scroll bar attached to the bottom of each image. Also, I can always right click them, and 'view image' to view a new tab that is nothing but that image. I can with Firefox anyways. I'm not sure if that works with other browsers also. But because of that, I am fairly certain that whatever the file size is when it is uploaded, it will stay that same size. As far as I know, ATS does not actually alter any images that are uploaded by members.

2. If a user like myself downsizes their own file sizes in width (like each image-pic between 300-550 pixels) and KB (like each image between 20KB to 60KB) can they post more images-pics in a post just as long as the total for the post is below 1MB? 1.5MB? 2MB? What's the limitation?

This is just a little test for me. This is one of the first images I uploaded to my ATS Media, and it is larger than I prefer.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00135591a679.jpg[/atsimg]
[color=2BFF6B]ETA: I am going to remove this pic from my media later, but I will leave it for now, just to show the difference. To me, there is no scroll bar on this image↑, and it has not been re-sized smaller. It has simply just been chopped off, on the right side, which causes it to not visible within the post. However, the image file is all still there. I can 'Right Click' ~> 'View Image' and see it in a new tab. So just because it cannot be seen within the post, that does not actually mean that it is not all still there. Personally, I never embed/post pics that are that big though. I would just do this↓, and alter it with codes.

and teeny tiny. (the same file, & a guess on dimensions)

I apologize if any of that came out confusing, which is a likely possibility.

edit on 9/25/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

The opening statement from my previous post, remains true.

I just went over to the announcement thread, for the new uploading system, to see what updates I may have missed. Your comment slightly confused me.

I thought that beta was just a term that is used to describe the initial release; test run; or trial period. A widespread release so that many people will be able to try it out, and any 'bugs' that may present themselves can be corrected. Also to get it to a larger audience in order to receive feedback from regular users. Many minor adjustments are made, and then when it finally becomes satisfactory, it is released as the complete and finished product.

Am I wrong on that?

If you can't use it now, then yes that would still suck, but if your issue lies within the beta period itself, then shouldn't you be able to use it after it is released in it official form?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I am wondering if maybe you don't frequent this site daily, or maybe just for a shorter time than many of the ATS addicts?

The reason I ask is because to me, this seems like terrible timing. Not intentional I am sure, but maybe you are not aware that there is a new uploading system, that was just released(*?) to us, during this past week? It is still in the beta trial(*?) mode.

One thing to keep in mind about limiting the amount that you put into a post, or a thread, is to remember that some people have crappy computers and/or crappy internet. For example: too many youtube videos, on a single page of a thread, may cause some people major problems, and they may not actually be able to load everything

I've been logged in longer than usual today and yes, I did find the thread on the new beta upload changes. But I always try to downsize the file size (in KB) of images so that the youtube problem doesn't happen. I'm one of those that has vids blocked because the file sizes are just plain too large. So I don't want anyone else to have to wait long periods of time just to view a page...I downsize using image compression software to make each viewer be able to see it quick and easy.

This is just a little test for me. This is one of the first images I uploaded to my ATS Media, and it is larger than I prefer.

That was pretty. :-) Thanks. I've got a post in another forum because my browser doesn't seem to be able to upload on the new beta...still monitoring the other thread to see if there's any answers as to how to go around it. But as of yet, I'm unable to upload anything in the new beta. I have the problem on other beta pages (Yahoo, ImageShack). But the other sites offer a link somewhere so that I can either upload non-beta or change my preferences for non-beta. I have no idea why my browser (Firefox) seems to have a blank screen for beta.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I just went over to the announcement thread, for the new uploading system, to see what updates I may have missed. Your comment slightly confused me.

I thought that beta was just a term that is used to describe the initial release; test run; or trial period. A widespread release so that many people will be able to try it out, and any 'bugs' that may present themselves can be corrected. Also to get it to a larger audience in order to receive feedback from regular users. Many minor adjustments are made, and then when it finally becomes satisfactory, it is released as the complete and finished product.

Well...having a browser (Firefox) that for some odd reason gives a blank screen for any website that uses beta..I'd have to say that beta is some alternate form of computer html programming that cannot be seen on older OS's and older browsers. Not sure why but that seems to be the case. And it's not my firewall.

I did see the file SIZE limitations on the beta because it was html text and not beta. Which says 500KB per image. To which I'd have no problem since I downsize my images to 20KB to 60 KB. But to the right of the text..there's no buttons in my browsers. It's a blank screen. ??? You've got me on that one.

Which still doesn't answer the question...is there a limitation on the number of images-pics that can be used in a thread or uploaded in a day? And if there is a limitation...does it depend on the number of stars a member receives? The number of points a member has? Is there limitations on file sizes PER THREAD or PER TOTAL file size in a thread?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MapMistress
Which still doesn't answer the question...is there a limitation on the number of images-pics that can be used in a thread or uploaded in a day? And if there is a limitation...does it depend on the number of stars a member receives? The number of points a member has? Is there limitations on file sizes PER THREAD or PER TOTAL file size in a thread?

Being a noob and all, I was wondering about the same thing as well. It's better to know those things as early as possible, since I don't want to step on toes and get banned, cause that would suck big time.

top topics

join