It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Shows 75% of TX Job Growth filled by Non US Citizens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
cis.org...

Of jobs created in Texas since 2007, 81 percent were taken by newly arrived immigrant workers (legal and illegal).

In terms of numbers, between the second quarter of 2007, right before the recession began, and the second quarter of 2011, total employment in Texas increased by 279,000. Of this, 225,000 jobs went to immigrants (legal and illegal) who arrived in the United States in 2007 or later.

Of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas, 93 percent were not U.S. citizens. Thus government data show that more than three-fourths of net job growth in Texas were taken by newly arrived non-citizens (legal and illegal).

The large share of job growth that went to immigrants is surprising because the native-born accounted for 69 percent of the growth in Texas’ working-age population (16 to 65). Thus, even though natives made up most of the growth in potential workers, most of the job growth went to immigrants.

The share of working-age natives holding a job in Texas declined significantly, from 71 percent in 2007 to 67 percent in 2011. This decline is very similar to the decline for natives in the United States as a whole and is an indication that the situation for native-born workers in Texas is very similar to the overall situation in the country despite the state’s job growth.

Of newly arrived immigrants who took jobs in Texas since 2007, we estimate that 50 percent (113,000) were illegal immigrants. Thus, about 40 percent of all the job growth in Texas since 2007 went to newly arrived illegal immigrants and 40 percent went to newly arrived legal immigrants.

WOW! If this doesn't bury his campaign I don't know what will... What do you thik about Perry's Job creation record now?
edit on 23-9-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: add

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

I live in Texas.... Luminant hasn't hired a single Illegal and they've spurred ALL the jobs in my local area.

www.luminant.com...

Politically motivated article maybe?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Perry may have his problems and deserve some dumping on, but how do they continually figure this is the subject to do it on?

Unemployment numbers break-down

One could dig through the county by county to get some real wild numbers, but then every state can be cherry picked the same way. Generally speaking and going by the Government's own numbers, Texas seems about average or leaning a little better than average on employment. Not bad for a state of that size and diverse set of challenges. Continuing this specific line of attack against Perry is likely to really backfire. Someone might just look at Illinois and ask about that number.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It's not an article it's a study... the link breaks down exactly how they did the study... seems pretty comprehensive and on the up and up to me...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The number is too high throughout the country. But the fact that Perry is running for a Federal office does in my opinion put him on the hot plate as far as his job and immigration policies.

I'm all for responsible immigration policies.....something we do not have at the moment.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm no Perry supporter, but how does this reflect on him? Other than he can't send raids on businesses that hire illegals because our federal government won't let him. Remember, it isn't Americans that are the poor and down trodden, it's the visitors.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

It should be noted that no estimate of illegal immigration is exact. It is possible that somewhat fewer or somewhat more of the newly arrived are illegal immigrants.

cis.org...

In my neck of the woods, we have had an influx of immigrants with legal status getting jobs. Most are former refugees from countries such as Somalia, Burma. We also getting more people from India.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Because one company in one city created legal jobs?

No ..

The article is FACT .. and no surprise, no hidden secret, we all knew -- perhaps not the extent..

Perry is disgusting, the people of Texas are imbeciles and ANYONE who supports this tool for President is a damned fool!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Surely the real question should be why people are hiring immigrants. Could it simply be that Americans see those jobs as being "beneath them"?
We have the same problem in the UK. There are jobs out there, and people continued to complain about others in Europe coming to take those jobs, but when you talk to people who are unemployed they either just don't want to work or their expectations are unreasonable. They'll say "there are no jobs!" but when you show them one they'll say it isn't for them.

If American citizens don't want those jobs, there will be someone else to take it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by thesungod

Because one company in one city created legal jobs?

No ..

The article is FACT .. and no surprise, no hidden secret, we all knew -- perhaps not the extent..

Perry is disgusting, the people of Texas are imbeciles and ANYONE who supports this tool for President is a damned fool!

Ha Ha

You are my kind conservative, hats off to you, REAL conservative

link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The article is FACT .

Numbers based on estimates are not facts.

the people of Texas are imbeciles

Whatever!!!!!!!!

link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Why are the people of Texas imbeciles exactly?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Surely the real question should be why people are hiring immigrants.

Could it be because the the US government has given these immigrants legal status and permission to work in the US.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Here's the thing: Employers aren't required to check and see if the documentation provided by said "illegals" is real. It's not like you get some shady Mexican and pay him cash under the table, knowing full well that they don't have documents... Someone comes in, they have an ID and SS card, and you hire them...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Texas is being over run by illegals. I live in Austin at the moment and have spent much time over the past several years here. I own a business and have many friends that have their own. I won't employ immigrant workers but many prefer undocumented workers,they are easy and cheap.

There are many employers in Texas that take advantage of these folks. It is just wrong to exploit the circumstances of poverty stricken frightened folks over legals that have earned the job through experience and being a law abiding tax payer.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

That is not entirely true. Ever visit the hidden little spots for day laborers in Texas?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

the people of Texas are imbeciles

The people of Portland are morons.

Generalities are awesome...amirite?

/TOA

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Surely the real question should be why people are hiring immigrants.

Could it be because the the US government has given these immigrants legal status and permission to work in the US.

That doesn't answer why those employers have "chosen" them over a US citizen.
Are they more qualified?
Will they work for less?
Do they make fewer demands?
Do they work harder?

In my experience of managing Polish citizens coming to the UK, the work ethic of Polish staff compared to British staff were vastly different. We could take two of the same age (usually they were in their early 20's), and the Polish guy would be more reliable, more professional, wouldn't complain about where they were or what they were doing, they didn't gossip, they didn't spend their entire shift on their mobile phone, they didn't repeatedly come in hungover...

From my experience, an employer hires an immigrant because they will work for less (not the case with us in the UK), they'll appreciate their job more (meaning they'll do it right), they're willing to be more flexible and they don't make unreasonable demands and fight you at every opportunity.

Ultimately, I think people have become unreasonable in their expectations. People all want the well paid job with all the benefits, and they're not willing to work for it. They'd rather claim benefits and spend their time complaining about all the foreigners stealing their jobs than actually make some sacrifices to get their themselves back into some kind of employment.

I would rather work for $5 an hour than not work at all, and plenty of others wouldn't because they think society owes them.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Most of the time they are less qualified, cheaper and make no demands. Illegals are at the bottom of the slave labor barrel.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

It should be noted that no estimate of illegal immigration is exact. It is possible that somewhat fewer or somewhat more of the newly arrived are illegal immigrants.

cis.org...

In my neck of the woods, we have had an influx of immigrants with legal status getting jobs. Most are former refugees from countries such as Somalia, Burma. We also getting more people from India.

Okay so maybe it's 30% and maybe 50% illegal... The fact still remains that it's more than 75% non US citizens...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join