It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is a wealth of knowledge on social manipulation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm sure there are numerous threads on how this forum itself is some kind of conspiracy, though I haven't read many of them, on the contrary I'm not exactly the biggest fan of this website and its corresponding company. I'm not making this thread to try and hurt the site, just to make some aware if anyone hasn't thought of this yet. As with 50% of threads on here, I'm not sure about what section this goes into so I chose "general conspiracies" even though its not exactly a conspiracy. I would say feel free to move it, but someone will anyways if it belongs somewhere else.

Now for the meat and bones of what I am trying to say:

As you browse and post on here you've probably noticed that more than most any other place on the web, people are encouraged (by peers are the staff) to remain rational and peaceful. This is great of course, and makes for good discussions and not everyone abides by it one hundred percent, however, you can literally see the gears moving in peoples heads as they try to rationalize certain things and discuss them with others.

People are attempting to influence others right here with their opinions, you can see the cases in which it works and those that it doesn't. You can tell exactly what it takes to change any given individuals mind, where they draw the line and what kind of person they are. That's not all, profiles are provided so you further make someones thoughts and words into a statistic to plug into a certain demographic.

You could say the same thing about oh... say... topics or any other web forum, but only here do we get down to the nitty gritty sometimes, the base beliefs and concepts that make an individual who they are and the techniques employed to change them. No where else does a collection of web users attempt to remain so rational and intellectually correct, its an open book on the crowd mentality concept. Worthless posts are discouraged, coincidentally these extensive thoughtful posts also give a good glimpse into the mind of that individual, much like art or any intelligent creation.

I'm not trying to imply this site itself is supported by any agency(etc), only that if they observe the users here, it saves however many gazillion dollars on paying people to do the same thing. I'm not saying this site is inherently bad or created to be manipulative, only that is a treasure trove of knowledge for anyone who wishes to do so.

ATS is a good place for discussion among people, but that is in turn a double edged sword. After all there is a wealth of knowledge here on many things, not just this. For some this all might be common knowledge that was understood at the moment of signing up and posting, but maybe there is someone that hasn't thought of it yet, either way I guess you could consider it a helpful reminder. Be aware that when write or post anything, pretty much anywhere, you are putting yourself and your thoughts out there for the entire world to see... forever. You can especially thank Google for this, seeing as they take a nice fat portion of energy to retain everything that is ever posted on the web.

Now for the most hypocritical word in this post:

Discuss.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yea, of all the nutty topics on ATS this gets no attention.

Figures.
edit on 23-9-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

So , what is the Point you are making here ? This Thread seems to Lack Substance . Could you please go on a bit more about what you are trying to convey ? ......

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
You have multiple things going on here on ATS at the same time. Free thinkers, people who wish change, those who are desperate for answers and people that are just flat out ignorant or crazy.

With the sheer number of hits it receives every week, there is going to also be government sponsored dis info agents, this is not paranoia and something the government actively invests in and practices.

The word sometimes is indeed mightier than the sword and there is a war going on for your mind, never mind Alex Jones. Perhaps the majority of mass opinion and the will of human consciousness is the mold of our current reality at any given time. When the will of the majority reaches critical mass with there thoughts, needs and wan'ts, society changes at accommodate those feelings.

Never underestimate the power of speech nor the right to speak it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Okay, now take a step past that and apply it as if you were trying to understand how to change peoples opinions.

Would this not be the perfect training ground?

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by RSF77

So , what is the Point you are making here ? This Thread seems to Lack Substance . Could you please go on a bit more about what you are trying to convey ? ......

No, go away. If you can't bother understanding anything then don't bother posting.
edit on 24-9-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

No , I choose not to " Go Away " as you put it . Make a Case here to Change my Mind . Like I said before , Please Explain your Point .

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

reply to post by RSF77

No , I choose not to " Go Away " as you put it . Make a Case here to Change my Mind . Like I said before , Please Explain your Point .

Scroll up a few times, you might find it.

Just a note: this is about the most useless crap of a post I've ever seen from anyone on ATS.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Helious

Okay, now take a step past that and apply it as if you were trying to understand how to change peoples opinions.

Would this not be the perfect training ground?

reply to post by RSF77

No, go away. If you can't bother understanding anything then don't bother posting.

I am not good at many things in this world, I often say I only know one thing and that one thing is people. That simple thing, the only thing I am good at is why I have been so prosperous my whole life. To change anyone's opinion, to change there way of thinking, to manipulate them to feel a certain way is all too easy in todays world because honestly people have been taught to act like sheep since childhood already by our own government.

Manipulation is easy, bending week minds to favor your perspective is easy, drawing a crowd of insignificant people to hear you speak or to entertain is easy. Coaxing those same people to do or act outside of there own self perceived comfort zone is another matter, once you burst there bubble and interject real truth, they want to be inserted back into the "matrix".

Your average person of normal intelligence can see passed some of the bull#, trust me..... That said, they also realize life is too short to worry about it and just continue on with there life if it is bearable. How many people do you know that ask themselves on a daily basis, the big questions? I can answer that for you.......... Almost none.

edit on 24-9-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

So you hold yourself on a pedestal above most other people?

Because you are rather arrogant and believe you are more intelligent than them?

You think it is easy to manipulate them?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Helious

So you hold yourself on a pedestal above most other people?

Because you are rather arrogant and believe you are more intelligent than them?

You think it is easy to manipulate them?

Quite simply...... Yes. Not because of arrogance though, but because of long experience. I have spent my life manipulating and have found that with the majority of people I have come into contact with, it is almost effortless.

There is no smugness nor ego in my statements, only my revelation on statistical fact as it relates to my own life. I am also not saying that I go around doing this immorally for my own enjoyment or entertainment nor do I do so to hurt or injure people.

I have a very sorted child hood and was out of my house and left to fend for myself at 17, I have been a bartender my entire adult life and as such have had intimate contact with people, strange and familiar for longer than I care to remember. That said, I back my previous statements and I do not do so in revelry and in point of fact, my ability to impact others the way I can is sometimes depressing.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I am not seeing the point you are trying to make. I am not saying that you don't have a point, I am just having trouble understanding what it is.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
arent most things in life a double edged sword?

is shopping on ebay a convenient resource or is it an encouragement to splurge?

is informing more admirable than listening or vice versa?

oh, and is ignorance really bliss?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Okay, thanks for the good response.

The reality is though that no matter if we want to or not, we are always influencing others around us. Every moment we communicate with others we are changing them, any intelligent person realizes this of course. We give off a certain "sphere of persuasion" if you could call it that.

I have found satisfaction in trying to be honorable, assuming the arrogant role just as I was talking about in the last post, trying to influence others for the good of the community as a whole. Like you say, I have been somewhat successful, though I try to be humble.

Ego also, I completely disregard. This would be a prime example of what I am talking about, catalyzed by my very own words. I am showing myself on the internet, a little bit of who I am, though I am not afraid because I believe I am an honorable person. I follow a code of sorts, how bout you?

Let's call it a code of intelligent, progressive life.

I guess there is no fear anymore in who I am, not sure if there was any reason in the first place. I am comfortable now as I was always. As the idiot above was trying to figure out, the point of this thread is making people aware that whatever they say on the internet about themselves sticks. I have found comfort in the fact that I try and influence the world for the better, this is who I am, come get me.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It kind of surprises me how many posters on ATS so far aren't able to follow this one bit.

Then again...

Be aware, as you know who I am, I see you exactly. So which of you are being true and which of you are false?

It's frightening, the capability of the human mind.

But... people would rather talk about comets and aliens huh? Hell I would too.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I guess if there is nothing to argue about there is nothing to talk about huh?

I wonder how that complements my OP. Of course, no one bothers to try and understand.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Well, for me personally, I subscribe to the theory of one. I think quantum physics have taught us this is the way of things and also just enforced what I have already felt. Ego has no place in the future of Mankind, trying to change things outside of ourselves is not the way.

Collective consciousness is what drives our reality, at least that is what I believe. Take a look at this short video to see what I mean, I could give you a million examples but I think for the time and effect, this would be the best in a 4 minute snippet.

edit on 24-9-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

top topics

join