It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grave Encounters: An Online Horror Flick - Is It Safe To Watch?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
OK, so I'm taking a quick break from the mind-numbing research I'm conducting for my next project. I was just watching some movie trailers on Youtube when I came across this:

Looks like a pretty cool movie, the premise being "found" footage along the lines of Blair Witch. In the description under the trailers, it says that the movie is available to watch for FREE online. So I did a quick Google search for "Grave Encounters online" and it gave me a list of links where I can either stream the movie or download it.

I'm extremely wary of downloading anything from a site that I don't know. The top link leads you to Cinemaden.com - through 10starmovies.com - where users are told that a credit card is required to verify their address as the movie is only licensed for distribution in the US and Canukland. Supposedly, there will be no charge to watch or download any of their movies unless the user wishes to upgrade to a "premium membership."

Have any of you good people ever seen this movie or used Cinemaden before? To quote Dustin Hoffman's Nazi dentist, "Is it safe?"
edit on 9/23/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
wouldn't waste my time on some film student project that's already filled with lies from the trailer...

6 years hidden footage :'( such load of bull they wear this years fashion.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
wouldn't waste my time on some film student project that's already filled with lies from the trailer...

The Blair Witch Project:

The Blair Witch Project was shown at the 1999 Sundance Film Festival, and released by Artisan on 30 July 1999 after months of publicity, including a ground-breaking campaign by the studio to use the Internet and suggest that the film was a record of real events. The distribution strategy for The Blair Witch Project was created and implemented by Artisan studio executive Steven Rothenberg.

The initial investment by the three University of Central Florida filmmakers was about US$35,000. Artisan acquired the film for US$1.1 million but spent US$25 million to market it. The movie was positively received by critics and went on to gross over US$248 million worldwide.

I wouldn't discount the movie just because it wasn't made by Steven Spielberg or Roland Emmerich. I've seen some really good movies that didn't have a big budget or "stars" in the cast; conversely, I've also seen Hollywood "blockbusters" that really did go bust despite being backed by huge sums of cash or star power.

Thanks for your input though.

ETA: I was always under the impression that ALL movies, unless they were documentaries, were "lies." It's called storytelling.
edit on 9/23/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'd not enter my details into that site.

I'd not risk it, there are probably better link out there.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Movie is slow and doesn't make sense, Characters are pissing off. Listen to the other members and use another site to stream, Don't enter any of your details.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

the first paranormal activity movie cost 10k to make for a film festival and went on to make millions...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
reply to post by OldCorp

Movie is slow and doesn't make sense, Characters are pissing off. Listen to the other members and use another site to stream, Don't enter any of your details.

Where did you see it?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Hi OC,

There is an option to view it through Amazon.com.....(I think free if you are Prime)

It might have some historically interesting bits in it seeings how Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital was:

Collingwood became infamous for unusual experimental patient control techniques including shock therapy, lobotomies, and sensory deprivation. By 1930 Collingwood had performed more lobotomies than any other facility in the country.

Grave Encounters Offical Site

Seems the descriptions are somewhat inconsistent with some describing it as a television show and others as a film.

I hadn't seen anything about it before now, so thanks for bringing it up!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Did you actually believe that this was real or something? Did you storm out of Blade Runner when you realized that replicants weren't real? Were you sad when you realized Bruce Willis wasn't really traveling trough time in 12 Monkeys? I'm surprised you can operate a keyboard.

To the OP: Either torrent it or search it on a site like filestube. I watched it and found it pretty good but I've never been scared of low budgets. Don't know why the guy above is saying it made no sense it as a pretty simple plot and was actually paced pretty well. Then again some people can't seem to understand that movies aren't real. What is wrong with people these days? Beats me. What is wrong with this movie? Nothing it's pretty good considering they probably had zero budget.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I downloaded this movie last night and have to say... I thought it was pretty scary. It is much scarier than the blair witch, just try not to think about everything too much and enjoy it for what it is.

Just watch it at night, with the lights off, alone for the full effect. I was surprised at how spooked I was even after trying to fall asleep, with residual images of the movie flickering through my mind. Thank you for sharing this, I really liked it!
edit on 23-9-2011 by Kevinquisitor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join