It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

uTorrent optimization wizard. (pirates, please stay away!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Alright, I know the internet community ousts people who openly use torrents because of the people who use it for illegal means, but I use it mostly for just large files that I don't want to download through my browser, like mods and etc.

uTorrent Optimization

We all know (we as people who use torrents) that closing certain tasks, manipulating IP Ports, peers, trackers, etc, changes your Down speed. My down speed usually ranges from anywhere from 50 kb/s (PLEASE SEED MOAR) up to about 1.5mb/s

We also know that there are guides online that are easily found that guide you through some minor tweaks and advanced ones, but usually they're written by teenagers who don't care if they screw your system up.

Now, I've began to think;

Is there a way to make a single exe that can tweak uTorrent's settings, and computer settings as a faux trojan, to attain the highest possible down speed?

What about a tracker-finder; which scans the interbutts to find trackers for the same torrent, so you can have more peers/seeds?

There might be something I'm missing, because I've always been about computers and tech, but I still have problems getting my bittorrents to download fast.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
YARR

Also, PEBKAC, PICNIC, and ID10-T all apply here.
edit on 22/9/11 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Iconic

What about a tracker-finder; which scans the interbutts to find trackers for the same torrent, so you can have more peers/seeds?

there are a few sites that offer that service, they scan for the content and provide you with trackers to add into the torrent client. Of course, the file has to be exact with the hash check or it will be wasting your time.

Something to note, don't go overboard adding more trackers, more peers theoretically is a good thing, too many means wasted bandwidth on making connections to many peers.

As well, if you have windows 7, you'll want to google and find the "windows 7 tcpip tweak" to ensure you are allowing the most connections possible.

The problem with a stand alone exe doing this is everybody has different variables at play, a certain peer limit and bandwidth cap might be perfect for me, but might completely slow yours down.

I still have problems getting my bittorrents to download fast.

Here's my tips for speed, work for me, might not for you:

Windows 7 tcpip fix set at 150 connections
Utorrent max peers peers at 150
No global download or upload cap
Cap at 80% of your upload speed on each individual torrent, nothing too low or it suffers, I find 10% gives me maxed downloads then it switches to seeding until it reaches whatever goal I set.
Add in other public trackers that have your torrent into the torrent client tracker section, but don't go overboard
I have utorrent set to randomize it's port at start up, but this really depends on your network setup/isp
Upnp seems to work great with mine, others have issues and disabled it.

Since you are not straying into the grey area with your downloads, you can also set the encryption off instead of forced.

but usually they're written by teenagers who don't care if they screw your system up.

Well first, no they aren't, at least not the good ones. Second, you shouldn't be blindly following guides to tweak anything if you don't have enough knowledge as to what not to do.

edit on 22-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Iconic

Windows 7 tcpip fix set at 150 connections

Screw any windows after XP, what about XP settings?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Make sure DHT and Peer Exchange are enabled.

Be aware that there are no "magic settings" for fast speeds as you rely heavily on the upload speed of the file sharers and a lot of those sharers cap their upload speed as much as possible.

The tcp/ip setting mentioned in a pevious post doesn't do al that much anymore in my experience.

In the bandwidth tab set: maximum number of connections: 200; maximum number of connected peers per torrent:50; number of upload slots per torrent : 4

These settings get me a maximum speed of 10MB/s but again, only if there are sufficient uploaders at a good speed.

new topics

top topics

join