It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it that NASA property seems to be worth more than human lives?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

The US space agency (Nasa) says that its out-of-control climate satellite is expected to crash to Earth sometime on Friday evening (GMT).

Given that some 70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water, a splash-down for the debris seems most likely. But there remains a real possibility that some debris could fall on land.

UARS could land anywhere between 57 degrees north and 57 degrees south of the equator - most of the populated world.

The 1 in 3,200 risk to public safety is higher than the 1 in 10,000 limit that Nasa aims for.

Read more

So basically, this "out of control" satellite (the size of a bus) has been taking quite a long time to crash on Earth.

Now first of all, this is the first time I have ever heard of a satellite taking more than a WEEK to crash on Earth, especially when its supposed to be in free fall after a while. I don't know what the heck is so special about this satellite that it decided to delay its impact -by more than two weeks.

I am just amazed at how NASA is playing statistics with human life at risk from the falling UARS satellite - which apparently has a 1/3200 chance of killing someone.

Why can't they just fire a couple of missiles and blow that thing up incase it crashes on land and kills a few people?

Why is it that NASA property seems to be worth more than human lives?

Rant Over.
edit on 22-9-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranzeand if it falls on you you cant keep it either its against the law. Probably cant sue them either. That thing should be destroyed as you say.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sd211212

You gotta love the law.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Now first of all, this is the first time I have ever heard of a satellite taking more than a WEEK to crash on Earth

can someone explain the above...one week? is it gliding down or something?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

This is the only explanation I could find from the article:

But other conditions could see the satellite stay in space for longer than anticipated.

What are the "other mysterious conditions"? The article fails to explain this and I haven't found a reasonable explanation anywhere so far...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

no its still in the atmospere but coming down
why they cant destroy its baffeling theres more than enough countries with the tech to blow it up,,
i find it its going on ebay
edit on 22-9-2011 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well if you blow it up in orbit then that would result in even more space junk orbiting our planet, putting further space missions in jeopardy

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Because people in general are selfish, as long as it's not them they don't care if someone gets killed they just sit back and watch that really annoy's me

top topics

join