It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World on verge of ‘mini ice age’ ? Geophysicist rejects global warming theory

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Watch and learn, people:

WE WON'T SEE ANOTHER ICE-AGE FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS:

Are we heading into a new Ice Age?

DO YOUR HOMEWORK, MY FRIENDS.
edit on 15-9-2011 by NoHierarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Want to know the truth about Victor the "climate expert"?

Here you go then:

www.desmogblog.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow12

Well you won't be getting one, as the planet is heating up - not cooling down.

Time to invest is some swimwear and shades, and ditch the scarf - along with Victor's "theory".

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

No, they fell in a bog. You should read the actual literature on the subject.

Try starting with Frozen Fauna of the Mammoth Steppe by Dale Guthrie

Unfortunately the site that hosted my article on the subject no longer exists or I'd refer you to that.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
The potential effects of a Maunder Minimum on our present climate trend by 2100 would be a decrease in global temperature of 0.1°C . With all uncertainties taken into account, the estimated maximum decrease in global temperature is 0.3°C. In other words it would be totaly negligible. Looks like you deniers need another straw to grasp, your flogging a dead horse on this one

Where did you get your 0.1C prediction? You can't take uncertainties into account and estimate a maximum decrease--that's nonsensical. By definition, it would be uncertain and no prediction is possible.

But I do love how you try to minimize the effect of a prolonged solar minimum, yet think that an increase in temps of a few tenths of a degree would be the end of the world.
Global average temperature is meaningless anyway, and trying to claim they can know within tenths of a degree what that number is, is just plain dumb. Have you never heard of significant digits?
edit on 9/15/2011 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaTime
reply to post by mugger

As far as I can determine, the solar magnetic reversals could possibly trigger an Earth magnetic reversal, but I'm guessing intensity would be a factor. If the solar reversals are 'mild' reversals, and our own magnetic field is at full strength, then we could sustain our polarity. If the sun did undergo a strong and turbulent reversal, and our heliosphere was weak, then it would possibly influence our alignment. Our own magnetic reversals tend to work in cycles of approximately 12,000 year cycles (depending on which stream of academics you paddle in
), and occassionally we only have magnetic excursions instead of reversals. Excursions are a wandering of magnetic north over an undetermined distance, and then realigns itself to 'proper magnetic north'.
When the sun flips and we dont (North/south vs South/North), then we get a magnetic flux between us and the sun that resembles the number 0. When our magnetic north is the same as the sun the field resembles the number 8 turned sideways.

I'm not sure this is true, but I could be wrong. The Earth's magnetic field is generated in the outer core and has nothing to do with the sun.

The Earth does not reverse polarity every 11 years. The time spans between reversals is randomly distributed and can't be predicted. The last one was 780,000 years ago.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Surely you mean eric the yellow !

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Another great article on climate change.
tucsoncitizen.com...

The real drivers of climate are the Sun’s insolation (light and heat), its magnetic flux, and the relative position and orientation of the Earth to the Sun.The variations in the Sun’s magnetic flux controls the amount of cosmic rays impinging on the atmosphere. Cosmic rays produce ionizations and the ions form nuclei for cloud formation. Cloud cover has a great effect on global temperature, but this area is still poorly understood and not addressed in climate models

edit on 7-10-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
[I was going to begin a new topic, this covers well, so here is post]

hi all.

while I live in tallahassee, florida, I feel that there is Something Very Wrong with the weather this year!
the air all of the time feels like it is coming directly off of the snowfields! Now March 26th and all week long they tell us, "low of 32, high of 58"!
I just got a letter today from my Friend in Asheville, North carolina, she writes that for all of march the temperature has been 20 degrees below normal. Tis snowing there now.

the air feels different, even the thunder sounds different. different from the air of me living here for nearly 50 years!

Something is Very Wrong.
Something Has changed.
Something is Here for good.
something, I think, has changed permanently and the "slope" has only begun, onto its "destination"!
the Destination? yet colder and snowier and for longer time, each year, year after year.

clues.
iceagenow.info...

Russian Scientist — New Little Ice Age Near

By Robert On November 13, 2012
Dr Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in St. Petersburg, Russia, is suggesting the next Grand Minimum in this paper: Bicentennial Decrease of the Total Solar Irradiance Leads to Unbalanced Thermal Budget of the Earth.
From the early 90s, Dr Abdussamatov has observed bicentennial decrease in both the TSI and the portion of its energy absorbed by the Earth, which, he says, will result in a temperature drop in approximately 2014.

Then, due to the ensuing increase of albedo and decrease in greenhouse gases, the absorbed portion of solar energy and the influence of the greenhouse effect will additionally decline.

He expects the onset of a deep bicentennial minimum of TSI in 2042±11, and the beginning of a Little Ice Age – the 19th Little Ice Age in the past 7500 years – in 2055±11.

[the real ice age is 30+ years away, many of us will be dead of old age. our children will not miss the vanished palm trees nor the absence of Oranges or of a June when once the temperature rose above 40 degrees!
our children will have to love potatoes and cabbage and apples.

ooops!
I recall a Scientific American magazine article where a group of scientists claimed that it was only man-made global warming that kept the next ice age at bay!

I wonder if the winters from hell, in Europe, now indicate that this global warming cannot hold the Greater cycles at bay any longer?!

I ponder some of the Implications, people.
---Northern hemisphere winters that every year get ever the colder with more snow.
---winter in Europe begins in september and lasts until may.
---wholescale crop failures and policy collapses, in affected countries.

this here Freestone begins to imagine even more dire futures for the years ahead!
---Canada could be absolved as a country as most of its people have to leave!
---the american southeast will host several megalopolis as most of the east coast people move there.
---the rainforests of Brazil Amazon basin will be removed to make this area the "new China", as this country, after it annexes most of the rest of the south American countries, will become the center of civilization for the next 1000....5000 years!
---Russia will immigrate 90% of its people to Brazil.
[is this why they are now "cuddling" up to Brazil?!] China maybe to its cities in Africa deserts.
it will be the mega-corporations, with their Deep Pockets, who will institute social changes.
the world goes into radical right survival mode except for the families where now the family will come first, in all life-choices.
few people live north of the mason Dixon line, in the usa, and few live in Europe. the alps will be all ice.

but for the next few years?
learn to love *Cold*. learn to love snow. learn how to live in it, to drive in it.
plan your home for a nine-month winter. take up winter sports. try planting cold climate fruit trees, in the deep south and florida! Mobile, New Orleans, Jacsonville, may need to have a snow removal budget, for their city streets; how about you with your driveway and sidewalks and roof, do you have snow removal tools for this?
have a garden. live like the german peoples: the Teutonic race Knows that if you are not picky, time-driven, compulsive "do it now" thinkings, winter may well ruin everything that you own!

freestone

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
from where i'm sitting (manchester UK) we're already IN an ice age. so cold i literally can't believe it. awful. i can't remember the last time i was warm.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join