It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Nina is coming back - Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
For the Australian ATS members out there.....you will remember how very wet and humid it was last Summer here on the Eastern States of Australia. We had record breaking floods that ended a 10 or so year dry spell in some areas brought on by the second strongest la Nina event on record.

Well, La Nina looks set to return this coming summer, albeit not as strong as last years but she's coming back non the less.

Australia's Summer Forecast

Last year was one of the strongest La Niña’s on record, with Australia recorded its second wettest year since 1900.Mr Saunders said that apart from the blazes in Western Australia, there were few notable bushfires last summer; he expects this to change this summer.

Heavy rainfall in January and February has increased vegetation growth, meaning there will be more fuel on the ground for bushfires.

Grant Beard, senior climatologist at the National Climate Centre, agreed, saying there was an increased risk of grass fires across the east of Australia.

Tom Saunders, senior meteorologist for the Weather Channel, said: "If ocean temperatures continue to cool through the Pacific over the coming months, causing the La Niña to become stronger, then Australia can expect a very wet summer with frequent flood events."

The last thing Queenslanders need is more flooding....many have not yet recovered from the disasters from last summer.

Ozweatherman, be good to get your first hand input on this topic

Personally, here in Melbourne down south, I enjoyed last summers cooler and wetter conditions compared to the extereme dryness and heats of the preceeding few years culminating in the disastrous Black Saturday Busfires that killed a couple hundred people and ravaged large areas of countryside and towns. Thou La Nina can keep her humidity....dislike that personally but one does come with the other.

Mr Saunders said that daytime temperatures in Sydney and Brisbane should be lower than usual - relief for some but a bad summer "if you live in the city and you want to go to the beach every day".

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
....My location says it all

But really as long as there is no major flooding and cyclones again I would be happy, because it was crap being cut off for a few weeks last time.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
crazy weather...we go from a major drought to last summers rain...lol we will probabely flood for another 7 years before we go back to drought....

peace

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I hope for the best for Y'all!!!

S&F

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yeah I live on the east coast OZ and preparing for a wild summer. I at this very minute I am having my roof resurfaced with a membrane coating and all tiles checked and wired down. I predict a wild rain and storm season this summer as the rest of the world has experienced over the year. Earths weather is changing and unpredictable so I say expect and prepare for the worst ! Hold on for the ride folks here in Queensland be safe and stay safe !!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
This is nothing but fear mongoring by the media. They couldn't predict last summers disasters until it the tsunami had already hit Toowoomba and until Brisbane was already underwater.
Or it could be they are preparing us for something much more devastating, perhaps the entire east coast?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AussiePatriot

From memory that huge flash flood (forgot the name of the queensland town) the weatherbearue saw the intense storm cell but didnt warn the locals because the readings they were getting weren't that bad.....

Not 100% sure on the exactreasoning for it, but also part of it had to do with the geography of the area since it was in a valley and the massive downpour further north all got funneled into that one area.

correct me if Im wrong here folks but something along those lines -a combination of factors.

I dont know if we have ever had 2 years in a row with a La Nina event?

I know Queenslands dams are at 100%. we could use a little more rain here down south in Victoria.....

like previously mentioned, expect a stormy summer.....

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

wow and i thought we were going to have a super hot and dry summer to make up for our last summer that was actually a winter haha
we have the best of weather and the worst..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

True mate.
Our dams aren't all at 100% full since they released much of the water to stop the dams from collapsing but if it is true and this summer will be the same as the last one then I say Queenslanders brace yourselves.
It only took the dams at 15% full last summer a few hours to fill up before they were overflowing. If the dams are at about 75% now and with summer just a couple of months away we could end up worse.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussiePatriot
This is nothing but fear mongoring by the media. They couldn't predict last summers disasters until it the tsunami had already hit Toowoomba and until Brisbane was already underwater.
Or it could be they are preparing us for something much more devastating, perhaps the entire east coast?

I reckon its much more like the authorities are now warning everybody just in case.

This way no one can criticise them for not warning them like the last time.

They're just trying to limit any potential liability, that way they can't be sued for damages.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
im in QLD up in gladstone, not only do i have to put up with frakking from the new LNG plant we now have floods to look forward to FCK

top topics

join