It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering the 'other' victims of 9/11

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Today, being the anniversary of the attacks on 9/11, much attention is being given to the 2996 people who died either in the plane explosions, or when the various towers fell. While it is very important that these people are remembered, I would also like to take a moment to reflect on the deaths that have occurred since the War on Terror was announced in response to these heinous attacks.

Since 2001 an estimated 116,000 civilians have died due to either Western or 'Terrorist' military activity. Here's a breakdown of the numbers:

The War on Terror in Numbers

The 9/11 attacks resulted in 2,996 casualties, which included 343 firefighters and 59 police officers who were in trying to save victims inside the World Trade Center. The War on Terror launched by George W. Bush Jr. has led to at least 227,000 people (more than 300,000 according to other estimates). This includes 116,657 civilians (51%) between 76 - 108,000 insurgents or Taliban Islamists (34% to 36%), 25,297 Iraqi and Afghan soldiers (11%), and 8,975 American, British, and other coalition forces (3.9%).

According to this estimate, 51% of the total number of deaths in the War on Terror have been civilian. While other sources can state slightly different estimates, all of them are well over the 100,000 mark.

I am not, in any way shape or form, attempting to detract from the importance of remembering the 2996 people who died on 9/11, but I also feel that if we are going to remember civilian deaths it is only fair that we see the whole picture.

In remembrance of the 116,000 civilians who have died since 2001 in the War on Terror

[color=gold]Lest We Forget.

edit on 11/9/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Thank you for reminding us of ALL the victims of this tragedy...

I will certainly remember them today as well..when we are having our moment of silence.

edit on 11-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
War is a terrible thing. Especially a war that's more of an invasion for all the wrong reasons.
www.iraqbodycount.org... - has the body count at around 105,000 and say that wikileaks could prove to add 15,000 to this amount.

I hope peace reigns over asap.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's this more than anything else that makes David Icke's theory
about reptilians plausible to me. There is just nothing out there
more evil than war and I just don't believe the human race wants
its or could ever want it except through manipulation.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

I'm not entirely sure that this thread is the time nor the place to be discussing 'reptilian' theories - but thank you for your contribution just the same!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
While I agree with your sentiments, I must point out that the statistics you posted for the Iraq war casualties is from coalition sources, and should be viewed as conservative at best, and outright lies at worse. Other independent sources say the death toll in Iraq alone could far exceed 1 million people.

A study published in The Lancet medical journal estimated that there were 654,965 deaths between 2003 and 2006 – representing 2.5% of the Iraqi population. This would suggest that today the statistic would be updated to about 1,455,590 casualties.

edit on 11-9-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Oh yes, I know about the greater estimates but I wanted to keep controversy out of this thread and devote it entirely to remembering the civilians themselves. I figured even the low estimate of 116 000 is still an insanely large number so I went with it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
"Thank you to all the servicemen serving overseas and fighting for our freedom".

Thus spake a little girl at the NYC memorial ceremony. Utter schmaltz. And a total lie.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Shameless bump so that this thread does not get lost in the flood of threads today.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I feel for the innocent Iraqi or Afghanistani who has lost their lives as I do those who died on 9/11.

It is the innocent who suffer in all wars, invasions etc.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Any website that refers to George W. Bush as "Jr." is not a reliable website.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I'm not entirely sure that this thread is the time nor the place to be discussing 'reptilian' theories - but thank you for your contribution just the same!
reply to post by Kryties

Sorry! Wasn't trying to derail your thread. Just trying to point out the "inhumaness"
of it all.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Typo perhaps?

It's not like it's hard to verify these figures - just Google "War on Terror civilian deaths" and you'll get many more sources all saying the same thing.

But you won't, because you would prefer not to think about the tens of thousands of deaths that have occurred in favour of hunting the nasty terrorists. As long as you kill a few terrorists, who gives a stuff about the innocents who die in the process eh?

What do the words 'collateral damage' mean to you anyways?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

No worries mate
I was just ensuring the thread stayed on-topic is all!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
One last bumpskies before I toddle off to bed.

I hope this thread does not get lost in the flood, it's message should be heard regardless of anyones thoughts on who perpetrated 9/11.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is sickening. I think WW3 is in progress as we speak and we don't even realize it yet. America vs. 5 or 6 (I lost count) countries is a World War, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It's good to know at least 19 people so far can see the bigger picture! I would have thought more people than that but I guess it's a start.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Before i say what i am going to say I want to make it absolutely clear that we should never forget the 2996 people who died in those attacks and we should honour their memory. What follows is not an attempt to belittle or marginalise the tragic event of that day...

Here it goes...

I can’t help but feel that the media are squeezing every last drop of sympathy and emotion they can get out of people. To the point where it is nothing more than voyeuristic exploitative manipulation of the masses. Earlier this week there was a programme on TV called "twins of the twin towers" (or something like that) this program was about twins who had lost twins in the attacks... I mean, really? Come on... is that not a little too far?? I just all seems so exploitative!

I can’t help it but I just find this whole media circus of self indulgent pity rather sickening...

Maybe it’s the British "stiff upper lip" in me... Maybe it’s a cultural thing! I dunno!!

But, I really do appreciate this thread...

Hundreds of thousands have lost their lives in the wars that have been raging since these attacks...

Two countries smashed to oblivion... Afghanistan, who's connection to this was a few training camps... And Iraq, who had absolutely nothing to do with 911.

Yet out of the 19 hijackers, 15 of them were from Saudi Arabia. 1 was from Egypt another from Lebanon and two from UAE. NONE from Iraq and Afghanistan.

So, the country that helped fund Al-Qaeda, provided the bulk of the terrorists and is the birthplace of Osama Bin Laden... is completely ignored while Iraq and Afghanistan is smashed.

Hmm... I wonder why the US government wanted to ignore this little detail when it went on it vengeance whirlwind?

But, we must not think about this!! instead we have think about "Twins who have lost twins" and watch looped footage of the towers collapsing...

Today I had a moment of quite reflection for the people who died in those attacks back in 2001. But, as the author of this thread has rightly highlighted, I also thought about the people of Iraq and Afghanistan who have lost their lives in the hundreds of thousands.
I have also avoided the TV because I really do not want to be spoon fed an emotionally charged propaganda message.

I know what I have said will be somewhat controversial for some... But please bear in mind that my intention is not to offend anyone... I would just like a more balanced approach to this whole subject.

S+F OP

Peace

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I just want to make a note somewhere about other victims whose deaths raised the terror level even higher to dizzying heights, and that's the victims of the anthrax attacks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join