It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sin, What is it, and is it Anything We Need to be Concerned About?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ephesians 2: 1 & 2
And although you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you formerly lived according to this world’s present path, according to the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the ruler of the spirit that is now energizing the sons of disobedience,
NETBible version.

Here are two words in these two verses which seem to be related to the subject of this thread, sin.
The two words are, transgressions, and, disobedience.
I will take a look at them to see if anything can be made of these two words.
paraptōmasin is the first word, translated as, transgressions. Sounds like, par. .TO ma sin.
The word is a noun.
The root is, parapíptō, think, parapet, is what I am doing right now. If you do not know what that is, it is a railing along a roof top so you don't fall off and get killed or severely injured.
So if you are someone Paul is talking about, in a metaphorical way, you just fell off the roof.

apeitheias is the second word, translated as, disobedience, in the version I quoted.
For the sound, think, Bon Appetit with a slightly different ending.
This is also a noun and it is one that defines the other noun, sons.
The meaning is, the opposite of belief.

The first word, transgressions, is only used in this grammatical case in the Greek when talking about being dead in them. So in my metaphorical example, we are as a result of our falling off the roof, dead.
There is this word in a different Greek case, in the direct object usage, in Mark 6:15 where Jesus says if we can not forgive others of what they do, then we cal not be forgiven of our falling off.
In Romans 5:15, the word is used as the subject talking about what Adam did that caused those after him to do the same sort of thing, ending up also dead.
My comment is that trespasses is something everyone does, at one time or another.

The second word, disobedience, is used by the writer of Hebrews to describe the people who died at Sinai for not doing what they were told, and so the translation we find for the word, in the Bible versions.

edit on 15-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
My Comment: Looks like John is contrasting all these admonitions to "do" something but not just anything, but what you need to do for salvation; with someone who instead, "does" exactly the opposite. So it is not just a single act but a lifestyle, what he meant in this verse by "practices", you make it a practice to do what makes you not be saved.

You cannot "do" anything for salvation.

First, you are saved by grace. Then, you do these good acts automatically, as they are the manifestations that you have been saved. The words are only there to help us identify [ by their acts they are known ] who is saved and who is not saved so far.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DRAZIW

You cannot "do" anything for salvation.

First, you are saved by grace. Then, you do these good acts automatically, as they are the manifestations that you have been saved. The words are only there to help us identify [ by their acts they are known ] who is saved and who is not saved so far
Probably some people would disagree with that, and consider faith as doing something to be saved. Also repentance baptism and conversion are things done.
"Do these things and be saved" would be the missionary thing to say to the heathen.
None of those would be "automatic" but willed by the person to do. The will would of course be a gift from God and not something you could lay claim on for which to boast of.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join