It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turned in my Cable Box - Now how will I ever get the "News"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
After a heated "discussion" with the GF, I turned in my cable box anyway. The sacred HD DVR cable box along with Excalibur (what I call the remote) is no more.

One of her "points" was "How are we going to get any news?", right as she said it we looked at each other and burst out laughing. We both realized it's just so useless to us, we would watch the "news" flipping between Fox, CNN and MSNBC and either laugh at the complete lack of substance or get angry over just how twisted and manufactured it all is.

She's not as heavy a user online as I am, so I'm the designated "media gatherer", which means I download all her TV shows and when she's ready, we watch them. Of course, I also get to control which shows are not available, "sorry "Ghost whisperer" wasn't on there again honey" is a common utterance.

But what about news. Anyone know of a decent TV news stream that isn't a complete waste of time? Honestly I find the Daily Show is still more useful than anything Fox or CNN has to offer. I read most news but sometimes it's nice just to have some background noise while working and I do like to watch something when eating dinner.

Lastly, FOOTBALL season is starting this week, this is the ONLY thing that gave me pause. But I notice people posting the games in HD within an hour or two of ending so I'm going to give it shot, other than that, I much prefer watching our shows without all the time wasting nauseating commercials.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
But you still have your TV no?

You are still NOT a free thinker if you have the TV.

What we need is a country wide boycott of TV's and news.

The government would PANIC, and probably make TV's practically free in order to get back that control lol.

Hollywood would go under, newscorp would go under.

The world would be a better place.

The rise of the truely independant reporter will happen.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

Great on you!! Football is the only thing keeping me in the duldrums of cable! If you could do a pay by channel deal, count me in - I'd have three and NONE of them would be "news". I forgot there is news on the tv...GOOD MOVE and I am one to congratulate you.

CJ

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

While I might disagree with the TV=NON FREE THINKER, I get your point. Weak minded people will always be susceptible to any kind of media, from religious books thousands of years old to next generations 3D halo implants, your mind is yours to protect or give away in the end.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Congrats! You're on your way to saving some big bucks!

I did the same thing 2 or 3 years ago, got rid of "the dish", which of course got rid of "the Dish Bill" as well.

Since then we get our TV for free (in HD even), there's about a dozen good channels broadcast over the air where I'm at. We supplemented that with the cheapest Netflix streaming service, there's a TON of cool television shows available, commercial free!

I have 2 middle-school aged children that assure me they're not missing anything, and I've saved over $3000 since going "antenna only" for broadcast television.

Next you can ditch your telephone land line, get a dry-loop DSL, go VOIP, and save even more!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Great on you!! Football is the only thing keeping me in the duldrums of cable! If you could do a pay by channel deal, count me in - I'd have three and NONE of them would be "news". I forgot there is news on the tv...GOOD MOVE and I am one to congratulate you.

CJ

I asked the Time Warner counter rep about that when I was turning in the box and she smiled and told me not only is it not available a la cart, but soon you'll need a "preferred" package to get HD football. She said it's their busiest time of the year for signups next to the superbowl.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I doubt you will miss it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Justin.tv to watch shows you still might like. ESPN3 on XBox 360 or iPad (if your internet provider supports it) for watching football. On the XBox 360 it is far superior to the cable box.

Edit to add there is a 24/7 stream on Justin.tv for 9/11 Truth and one for aliens and such (down the rabbit hole).
edit on 9/6/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

That's silly. You can't be a free-thinker and have a TV? Quite the claim.

I have a TV. I use it for Netflix, etc.

So being a free thinker means you can't have a TV, but you can have the internet? There's more garbage online than there is on TV.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Russia Today. Always good to get both directions in a spin cycle. Plus their world news tends to be far less biased towards western agendas which ain't a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You might want to look into Roku. One-time payment for the box, they provide some free services (looks like Fox News at least is probably included with that), and beyond that you just pay for whatever additional subscription services you might want like Netflix, Hulu, and the rest.

I'm planning to cancel my DirecTV soon and will probably be picking up a Roku for my non-Xbox TV.

Take care.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
Justin.tv to watch shows you still might like. ESPN3 on XBox 360 or iPad (if your internet provider supports it) for watching football. On the XBox 360 it is far superior to the cable box.

Edit to add there is a 24/7 stream on Justin.tv for 9/11 Truth and one for aliens and such (down the rabbit hole).
edit on 9/6/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

Just checked out JUSTIN.TV, looks to have a lot of content, can't believe I haven't heard of it before. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

You might want to look into Roku. One-time payment for the box, they provide some free services (looks like Fox News at least is probably included with that), and beyond that you just pay for whatever additional subscription services you might want like Netflix, Hulu, and the rest.

I'm planning to cancel my DirecTV soon and will probably be picking up a Roku for my non-Xbox TV.

Take care.

This looks like something that could work, especially for the GF. I like the idea of just paying once for the hardware. Nice.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Haha, I find it hilarious that people get rid of their TV, yet keep the internet.
The internet is a superTV. You can watch TV, get the news, play games, and a whole list of things that you can't do with the TV. The internet is the ultimate distraction tool, even more so than the TV.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Hey Pas,

Go check out this link I bookmarked, plenty of links to popular shows that are / have been on TV. You can Download episodes in Firefox with the downloadhelper

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Just an FYI - my parents love their Roku and have long-since cancelled their cable as well.

They're tiny, too!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Congrats to you. You made a wise decision. if you ever do find yourself, missing it, well, that's what the internet is for.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Good for you!

I have not had cable or satelitte for over 4 years an I haven't missed it one bit because I find that 75%-85% of the programming they offer is nothing more than immoral crap. I started getting all my news and programming on the net when I was still working as a Sat diver and spending 40-60 days in chamber as my laptop was all I had to pass the time when I wasn't working. I have long said that the television is the biggest brainwashing tool used by TPTB and does nothing but promote the acceptance of deviant behavior and immorality. I still have my T.V for watching movies and such with the family I just have it hooked up to my PC.

I use the net to get all of my news from many different agencies such as Russia Television, Reuter's, Al Jazeera, Fox, Cnn, Sky News, etc. I find the best way to get news is to take it in from a variety of sources and then try to figure out the truth. I use Netflix, Hulu, Justin.tv, as well as the websites of the networks such as History.com, Discovery.com, etc to watch what I want to watch.

There is a new item out like Riku called Boxee that I am thinking of getting as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

I see you did not list it, and perhaps you don't care or are not interested, but may I ask? In your discovery of all the places to draw from tv through the internet, have you seen somewhere where I can get sports? AMerican football? Thanks!

CJ

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Roku is a neat little device they even have a free movie channel, sure you get 1 15 second commercial every 20 mins or so but for free can't complain. Also the roku box is about the size of a pack of smokes with built in wifi, just velcro to the back of the tele and your all set.
Might wanna look into mythtv as well especially if you have an old computer laying around and some free time along with an off air antenna. Whats cool about that is you can network all your recorded shows through the house. And compile all your movies into one database as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join