It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric motor made from a single molecule

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Electric motor made from a single molecule

www.bbc.co.uk

Researchers have created the smallest electric motor ever devised.

The motor, made from a single molecule just a billionth of a metre across, is reported in Nature Nanotechnology.

The minuscule motor could have applications in both nanotechnology and in medicine, where tiny amounts of work can be put to efficient use.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This is a major step towards the development of nanomachines and all of the wonders (and horrors) it will bring.

Few people realize the scope of the revolution in medicine, industry, agriculture, warfare, and even computing that nanomachines will herald. It will be analogous to the leap we took at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution from agrarian society. It will be the dawn of a new era for the human race and we have just taken a major step to getting there.

Sadly, just as every other technological and scientific revolution has brought wonder, it has the potential for great horror. Weapons of mass destruction using nanotechnology have the potential to be more destructive than any current WMD. Nanites could be used to record and alter memories, thoughts, and sensory information. It would be the ultimate tool for any terrorist or police state.

The Singularity rapidly approaches. Are you ready?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ok, sh!t's just got real

Why can't we annihilate the elite who are raping us and our planet and ADVANCE as a race? I mean come on, imagine if we really put all our efforts towards advancing as a species instead of devising new ways of slaughtering eachother as efficiently as possible. Where would we be in 20 years? It really saddens me to know that the human race has such an incredibly massive potential to achieve so much, so fast, but we are being held back by scum who are pitting us against each other

Thank you OP, this is indeed very interesting. SnF

Edit: By "elite", I am referring to the power-hungry S.O.B's who manipulate the world from behind the curtain.

IT--
edit on 5-9-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It always come back to those free moleclues.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by edog11

Can you connect this molecule motor with the elite raping us and destroying the planet, etc, with some concrete line of reasoning for me??

'cos when I read your post my only thought was "What on earth is he on about??"

Thanks

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Cool! Now we can start building a fleet of "nano" 18 wheelers to haul our atomic sized ills away!

Good find, and interesting article! Have a star and a flag on me!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by edog11

Can you connect this molecule motor with the elite raping us and destroying the planet, etc, with some concrete line of reasoning for me??

Thanks

Sure... "They" are keeping the vast majority of humanity preoccupied which irrelevance and are keeping us divided and dumbed down.

Something like this "electric-nanotech-motor" is the proof of what we are capable of when we are divided by the elite, unable to fully focus.
Imagine what we would achieve if they f*cked off and we put our combined efforts towards advancing as a species.

IT--

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Open minds would think that this should be investigated.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by edog11

Sorry - that makes no sense to me

You seem to be saying that without an elite we would be more creative, or courd produce more or something like that??

How would "them" f-ing off make any difference to that??
Ie what is it that you see would actually change in, say, research institutions? Would we get larger numbers of clever people being born??

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You seriously have no clue as to who I am referring to, do you? The "Elites" go by many names and have different conspiracy-theories surrounding them.... They are known as The Bavarian Illuminati/New World Order/Bilderberg-group to name a few.

IT--

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

By modifying the molecule slightly, it could be used to generate microwave radiation or to couple into what are known as nano-electromechanical systems, Dr Sykes said.

"The next thing to do is to get the thing to do work that we can measure - to couple it to other molecules, lining them up next to one another so they're like miniature cog-wheels, and then watch the rotation propagation down the chain," he said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

The first sentence in that quote from your link suggests some astounding but equally concerning implications. One thought is that it sounds almost like areas that would include brain (soul?) interfaces, another thought is weaponization as you've mentioned.

What makes that significant is the summation in the second sentence. That's an amazing leap forward. If the research is solid, nanoTech just got a turbo boost.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I'm glad you mentioned the possibility of interfaces.

Most science fiction, especially Cyberpunk, has people interfacing with the Internet or mechanical systems, using clunky box devices and/or cables used to "jack in".

This "jacking in" idea will remain fiction due to nanomachines that can be injected and directly interface with synapses, resulting in the birth of synaptic interface technology.

This concept goes hand in hand with new technology known as Augmented Reality. AR is kind of like VR for the 21st century. Instead a pure virtual "matrix-like environment", imagine a mix of real and virtual, a hyperreality using retinal displays that overlay your vision with various apps.

Forget iPhone 5, we will have "eyePhones" that will allow us to interface with any smart system from vehicles, drones, our homes, prosthetics, the Web, etc.

There are darksides to this though. I have already mentioned the potential for recording and altering memories, thoughts, and perceptions. Nanites could be used to map your entire brain down to the smallest component, possibly allowing your mind to be copied and uploaded. You think identity theft is bad now? Wait till someone can copy and paste your mind. Dopplegangers will no longer be urban legends. The mapping process would not be intrusive and the person would have no idea it was even happening. This lack of intrusiveness is one of the scariest aspects of nanites. They could be delivered in an airborne or liquid manner. You could literally breathe, eat and drink them and not even know it.

We are headed for some very interesting times to say the least.
edit on 5/9/11 by MikeboydUS because: P

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by edog11

I know who the "elites" are commonly thought of as being.

I don't see why you think that removing them is going to free up human creativity or inventiveness or whatever.

Sorry if I've misunderstood you - but that is what I thought your post I initially replied to was saying.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrenchOsage
reply to post by BenReclused

Open minds would think that this should be investigated.

Yep! Mine has been open, and evaporating, for years!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
??? I heard from it back in april or may, so this is not really breaking news for me, but this will boost nanofluidic muscles, too. robbie will pump much more weight with this. (look to the left)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by edog11
"They" are keeping the vast majority of humanity preoccupied which irrelevance and are keeping us divided and dumbed down.

Something like this "electric-nanotech-motor" is the proof of what we are capable of when we are divided by the elite, unable to fully focus.

It would be your responsibility to not become preoccupied with irrelevence and to "wise up". The technology will be developed by those wise enough to do so.

It is easy to join-in with the dumbed-down masses, the simpler and less complicated way to live perhaps. The world will always have their wiseguys too. It ultimately comes down to you to make the elite decision to achieve your future or become irrelevant. The tech will be developed either way.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Never mind "weapons of mass destruction using nanotechnology" - think of the accidents that will happen!

Great catch. S&F&

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

"They" are keeping the vast majority of humanity preoccupied which irrelevance and are keeping us divided and dumbed down.

It would be your responsibility to not become preoccupied with irrelevence and to "wise up". The technology will be developed by those wise enough to do so.

It is easy to join-in with the dumbed-down masses, the simpler and less complicated way to live perhaps. The world will always have their wiseguys too. It ultimately comes down to you to make the elite decision to achieve your future or become irrelevant. The tech will be developed either way.

I think the point they were trying to make is that the elites control which way technology goes, which projects get funded and which don't. Then you have the system in which every invention has to thrive - if there is no commerically viable (i.e. salable) quality then the technology will not be succesful.

Imagine then inventing nanomachines that can cure all diseases instantly. Sure there's a market for it, but unless its dominated by the current Big Pharma companies they won't be fans of it. They will try to actively suppress the technology because they are not interested in cures but rather constant income from people dependant on their drugs. Instead these machines would be purposed to take apart people's bodies and used as a weapon.

Consider nanomachines that could break down rubbish/waste and turn it into reusable items. Again those with vested interest in selling you products would not want these released to the public, because it would free people from having to consume.

Basically, if all of these controls were to vanish along with a system that demands a product be commerically viable then new technology that is beneficial to the human race would be easier to develop.

Likewise, if all of our resources weren't being spent on endless wars and bickering over largely pointless topics then we could instead spend our resources creating things that would make life better for everyone.

But the people in control don't want that, because it would lead to them having less power and control.

Anyway, great link - thanks. Interesting times ahead for sure!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cecilofs
I think the point they were trying to make is that the elites control which way technology goes, which projects get funded and which don't. Then you have the system in which every invention has to thrive - if there is no commerically viable (i.e. salable) quality then the technology will not be succesful.

Basically, if all of these controls were to vanish along with a system that demands a product be commerically viable then new technology that is beneficial to the human race would be easier to develop.

Likewise, if all of our resources weren't being spent on endless wars and bickering over largely pointless topics then we could instead spend our resources creating things that would make life better for everyone.

But the people in control don't want that, because it would lead to them having less power and control.

Sometimes one has to puch the schoolyard bully in the nose, or he can remain the irrelevant sap. Not every corner of the world is hopeless just yet.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by edog11

Thanks

Sure... "They" are keeping the vast majority of humanity preoccupied which irrelevance and are keeping us divided and dumbed down.

Imagine what we would achieve if they f*cked off and we put our combined efforts towards advancing as a species.

IT--

And who funded this development? evil corporations?
Universities funded by govt weapons programs?

The evil elite "bogeyman" hysteria meter went off the scale a bit there.

Mankind distracts himself just fine . Nobody forces idiots to watch "jersey shore" or post b.s. here when there's (I've got) plenty to do outside.
edit on 6-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join