It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you follow religions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
please dont take this the wrong way, i was wondering why you all follow religions?
now, realistically, the stories and legends from each religion are obviouslly fictional. im sure even religious people know these stories are fictional. i want to know why you all decide to have your life run by a fictional thing. i dont want anyone saying stuff like "YOU NEED TO LEARN THE DEFINITION OF RELIGION" or "THE STORIES ARE TRUE! WE ALL BELIEVE THEY ARE TRUE!"... because i know you all know they're not.

i understand that without religion, this world just wouldnt work, but i just want to know why some people are so serious about it.

please no stupid, attempts of a witty insult.

thnx. im looking for intelligent answers to a stupid question.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   
easy!

I dont follow religion, i follow the true path which is a long one and with many paths to cross...........................

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
JC, people ask questions for a reason, and this one is not stupid.

Following religions is like joining a club. Christ said to follow him, not the Catholics, Muslims, Buddists....and others. Pick up your cross and follow me he said (Mattew Ch. 10:8). In other words deal with the issues of life and and march on.

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 04:08 AM
link   
so joining a religion isnt necissairily about believing the stories, just searching for faith?

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Religions are what seperates man from animal. An animal might have a mind, maybe more capable than our own.

But without religion it is still just an animal, never progressing, never thinking.

This isn't because the Religions we are used to today (over-lording control freaks), give "inteligence", in fact the contrary seems more evident.

It's because Religion, in a more universal definition, is reason.

It is sitting down and saying "what is a tree?"

And religion as we've come to know it, now primarily encompasses just, "where did we all come from" and "where are we going". And with those two points, that's pretty much religion.

People follow religions for two reasons. 1) They are forced to (by birth or other means), or 2) They honestly believe that the Religion they follow, best explains those two points.

Now western religions, have a "path" to follow, like Christians must believe in Jesus. This is "Where we are going" and is expanded into "how to get there"...and it generally moves away from "religion" and more into cultism but it doesn't really matter.

For me...Religion is rather several things.

1) A resignation to fate.

2) A truth and that is, "Whatever happens when we die, we don't cease to exist" which is the only fundamental truth, as through reason and science, non-existance is impossible when you exist.

3) Life is interconnected through something imeasureable which is "existance"...we are not rocks.

Basically my religion if you could truly call it that, revolves around more rational thinking of "What can't happen when we die". I came to the conclusion that you can not cease to exist, for if you became "non-existance" than now never happend since non-existance is absolute. You either exist...or you don't.

Much like a dream you don't remember, you fall asleep and then wake up, and the dream never happend...the time however goes on without you.

This is why I feel there has to be a God, it may not be intelligent, or devine, but whatever it is, it is beyond all things that make this universe, and us...indeed it is the "root" of all things. Which if that is a cupcake..then so be it.

So there's an oversite of what I believe.

So why would I follow it? Because it makes sense, and even if someone doesn't believe it, it is arguable and still sensible.

I find many religions to be very corny, but they all revolve around the same thing, they make sense to those who follow it and they can argue that its true. And because it usually involves that which can't be tested, it is hard to impossible to disprove them.

But this is why I think it is important for humans to have religions, even if it is something completely different, because it gives us "thought".

The first spark of life in Humanity (by that I mean, LIFE LIFE, not just walking eating #ting and sleeping but understanding and purpose), was religion.

Humans first sign of intelligence wasn't tools, or fire, it was burying the dead, in shallow close by graves. Laying them in the earth for whatever reasons.

Fire was tamed after death...all things were, and after tools came about, and fire was tamed, and humans expanded their minds, death rituals became far more intricate.

Another thing that is religious, is the stars, it is more than scientific inquiry about them, it was at first a religious inquiry. Because the stars and the sky was a near perfect time peice, and early on life and death became "ritual" and fertility goddesses would be recognized, and the first known writing of a star pattern in the sky is of Orion with as many tick marks as there are days in the gestation period.

So as you can see, not only did religions play an important role, they still do, and while what religions are have changed, the most basic concepts have not.

"Where do we come from?" "Where are we going?" "And how are we going to get there?"

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Nice reply 5POF!

Even though i belong to the Church Of Scotland, i haven't been to church for years!

Haven't lost my faith, just searching for answers!

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
For the most part, members of our species don't like to think for themselves. They simply find it too uncomfortable. Therefore, they simply repeat what they are told, usually without questioning it, and become offended or supersticious if they are exposed to any other view. People follow religions, in my opinion, because they don't want to think for themselves, just repeat what they are told, without asking "how is this possible?", because they are taught that asking such a thing is or could be "against their religion". THAT is an example of perfect conformity. The natural human characteristic is not independence, but conformity, and the characteristic result is religious warfare. People follow religions because, quite simply, we honestly wouldn't know what to do without them. Life would be far too depressing, and there would be no point to it all. There would be no one to judge based on opposing beliefs, there would be no religious war, there would be no real reason to live. We would simply, as previously stated, be nothing more than animals.

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JCDenton
please dont take this the wrong way, i was wondering why you all follow religions?
now, realistically, the stories and legends from each religion are obviouslly fictional. im sure even religious people know these stories are fictional. i want to know why you all decide to have your life run by a fictional thing. i dont want anyone saying stuff like "YOU NEED TO LEARN THE DEFINITION OF RELIGION" or "THE STORIES ARE TRUE! WE ALL BELIEVE THEY ARE TRUE!"... because i know you all know they're not.

i understand that without religion, this world just wouldnt work, but i just want to know why some people are so serious about it.

please no stupid, attempts of a witty insult.

thnx. im looking for intelligent answers to a stupid question.

well my idea of why people stick to religion, is because they are looking for the truth about why they exsist, its nice to think we have meaning and that we are important, but is this correct? i dont think anybody knows,

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Religions are what seperates man from animal. An animal might have a mind, maybe more capable than our own.

I dissagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion I guess ...

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LOBO
For the most part, members of our species don't like to think for themselves. They simply find it too uncomfortable. Therefore, they simply repeat what they are told, usually without questioning it, and become offended or supersticious if they are exposed to any other view. People follow religions, in my opinion, because they don't want to think for themselves, just repeat what they are told, without asking "how is this possible?", because they are taught that asking such a thing is or could be "against their religion". THAT is an example of perfect conformity. The natural human characteristic is not independence, but conformity, and the characteristic result is religious warfare. People follow religions because, quite simply, we honestly wouldn't know what to do without them. Life would be far too depressing, and there would be no point to it all. There would be no one to judge based on opposing beliefs, there would be no religious war, there would be no real reason to live. We would simply, as previously stated, be nothing more than animals.

i dont agree with you ''''''cant think for themselves""

so where did you get your thought of ideas or isues realating todays events ???

I dont see that a beleif in God is wrong or in anyway foolish,in fact it is easier to beleive in nothing and do as you will then it is to allow God in your life.....
Look at the Law of society............you have to follow that! If not you are judged on what is written by Mans law....................

Hitler had his own law...................he commited suicide to escape his delusional man made power hungry self loving ,wicked soul...........................

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Laws are only suggestions. You don't have to follow them. But why? If guy makes you mad, why not kill him? Because if you do his family will call for blood, then they attack you, kill you. Your family calls for blood, and so forth.

Why not steal? If you want it but don't have the money, isn't it the stores fault for pricing it so high? Why not steal? Because then others will not have it if they need it, and the people who made it need money to buy the things they need. And if you steal it, why can't I steal it from you?

Why not go and have lots of sex and sleep around? Well, look at Africa.

You don't need someone to tell you this, common sense tells you this. Just like if someone is all powerful, why do they need you to send them money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they need you to miss the football game just to boost their ego? Why can someone who dates a girl for three years, is two months older, so 18 while they 17, get arrested for statutary rape, and spend 10 years in jail yet a religous person can rape little boys many times for years and not even get fired? To common sense this doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
5POF.... amazing reply.
james the lesser, i only skim read what you wrote... common sense is shaped by society, most of our common sense now doesnt exist to save us from death, but to save us from the law.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
You don't need someone to tell you this, common sense tells you this. Just like if someone is all powerful, why do they need you to send them money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they need you to miss the football game just to boost their ego? Why can someone who dates a girl for three years, is two months older, so 18 while they 17, get arrested for statutary rape, and spend 10 years in jail yet a religous person can rape little boys many times for years and not even get fired? To common sense this doesn't make sense.

The money and sunday worship are not for God (the allpowerful you refer to), they're for the people.
Although SOME people may now take advantage of this (priests AND worshippers) the ideas are all founded from good intentions. Money(in theory) goes to build churches, to spread the word etc. while churches themselves are more than just a place of worship. They are a place of community where one can easily find and interact with likeminded individuals, seek guidance from one another and what not.

Sadly, there are people who think going to church and giving money are all that is Required to know God and be in his good graces, when in reality, going to church or donating to a church is nothing compared to truly living by God's word.
And some priests, who should be helping people to know God have ulterior motives, such as greed etc.
But certainly not ALL worshippers or ALL priests are like this.

As for priests being able to molest children and get away with it - this is all changing as we speak.
Sadly, the church and people in power made a bad decision to sweep this under the carpet.
Nevertheless, from the point of view of the Church, they exist to help the common person understand and know God. They clearly felt that is was in the best interest of everyone to hide this behaviour. For the priests to help people, they themselves need to appear to the people as embodying all the values the people themselves seek to attain. If the people don't trust the priests, the priests can't operate effectively as spiritual guides and the people will be lost as a result.
Obviously the Churchpeople involved made a terrible mistake by hiding it, as the entire Church lost credibility and not the few(or dozens) of offending priests.
Still, that's all hindsight and I think the church is trying to fix it. The church moves slowly.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   
yes i agree .The church is corrupt.(though not all ,but many of all faiths)
That is why so many people wanting to follow in the footsteps of JesusChrist in the early century went into the deserts and mountains (monks,Mt Athos ) ......although now there have been some arguments on world council of churches and whom they worship with(this is another story in itself)

I beleive that if you are willing to know the Lord God with all your heart ,humbling yourself before all that anger in the world that it presents itself,
being a minority and not being ""part of this world"" to accept all new ""modernism""that only belongs in this world by man made doctrines,then the truth will reveal itself to you,although this in itself could be dangerous because of the lack of faith we have toward God as creator of all things.

I guess it's hard accepting ""criticism"" in todays society (be it of any particular subject or matter)and to let someone get away with that is just too tempting.
it is more difficult to let things go then it is ""hate"" and satisfy "revenge""....

[Edited on 7-4-2003 by helen670]

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Hello everyone. I am new to this bulletin board.

Good Question JC. I'll start by first stating that I am glad you are asking it. "Seek and ye shall find" - (Step one)

"There's more than one answer to this question,
pointing me in a crooked line" - Indigo Girls

Anyway....

I cannot speak for others, but I will gladly share with you my beliefs and my reason for believing them.

I believe in God. I believe in a personal God composed of a collective consciousness. Just as you are a collective of cells composed of molecules composed of atoms composed of neutrons, protons and electrons composed of other sub-atomic particles ad nauseum, but yet are still one entity. To come to know God, one must experience God through emotion. Logic will not get you there. Thinking only inspires the question, to invoke the experience, but it is not the experience itself.
I envision God as I do the ocean. I envision our spirits as molecules of that grand ocean. We were created by God from God "made in his image". This is a crude analogy at best, but it helps me make sense of what God has created. One fundamental difference between ourselves (as molecules of the grand spiritual ocean) and real H20 molecules is that we have been given the gift of free will. Love in it's truest form is God's gift to us to choose our own destiny. Without free will of the spirit, meaning in all of this... both physical and nonphysical is lost.
I believe that we separated from God, some of us recently, some of us long ago. I believe that there are many reason for this separation, but fundamentally God allowed this separation from God for the purpose of growth. I mean this in the spiritual sense.
I will use a physical analogy to make my point however. How do you make your muscles grow? You challenge them. You apply force to them in such a way that they must compensate or fail. Prolonged exposure to lack of gravity causes muscles to atrophy and eventually become relatively useless. (Side note - Most aliens tend to be rather frail looking such as the Grey species)
Anyhow, being a spiritual being in this four-dimensional universe we are challenged. If you think about your life and how you've grown as a person, you'll likely see that growth spurts occur when you overcome adversity by how you think or changed your thinking and how you change(d) your relationship with your surroundings (especially people). We are essentially here on this Earth "to learn" for the purpose of spiritual development. When you die, all you will retain are the memories of what you experienced while you were here. Your physical body and all your possessions will stay here. This begs the question, "What is experience and where is it stored?"
I believe that true experience comes primarily through the emotional/spiritual connection. Sure you can remember thoughts and facts and such, and they shouldn't be totally discounted, but most substantial memories and experiences are emotional ones. Particularily when there is an interpersonal connection with another entity being either God, another person or an alien for that matter. So, after you've spent some time on Earth and then depart, hopefully you've grown.

I also believe in reincarnation. I believe that once we separated from God by our own choosing that we were/are karmically bound to the lower planes of existence (lower 5 dimensions) until we ask God to bring us home. I believe that if we do not go back to God, we are reborn to learn what we did not learn in previous lives and that we grow until the point at which we decide to go home (back to God).

How do we get back to God? Through his gift of grace. We are born sinful (with karma). We are imperfect in these lower dimensions and have no way to attain perfection on our own. You cannot earn your way to God because to achieve the union with the perfect, you must become perfect which you cannot do by your works alone. That is why Jesus Christ came. He is the lamb that was slaughtered for our sin (karma). By his sacrifice, all sins are forgiven (karma absolved) in those who believe and put their faith in him. Christ is the ticket home. By the grace of God, this gift of his son for all beings cannot be earned for it is a gift. It is our choice to either accept it or reject it. You cannot earn this gift, for there is nothing you can offer that equals it. We cannot attain perfection on our own even though popular culture and the media is constantly telling us that we can if we eat just the right foods and exercise or freeze our heads cryogenically for future technological advancement, someday we can attain perfection.
Why do people have such a tough time with accepting Christ? Because you must give up your pride. You must lay your imperfections out before God in your heart and admit your faults.

[The original sin in the fall of Lucifer is pride. Lucifer was once the most beautiful of all God's angels. He was known as the "angel of light." But pride made him believe that the light was coming from him within rather than reflecting from God. That is why he fell from heaven (higher dimensions) to these lower dimensions and is bound here until he is reconciled with God. God allowed all this to happen. Why? That is outside my time constraints in this essay. Perhaps another time.]

Coming to know Jesus Christ is a tough thing for most people. Most people (including myself) find or have found reasons not to accept this. (The bible isn't true. Other religions can't co-exist. Etc etc etc.) Thankfully, I kept my heart open and truly searched for God and I believe that if you do the same, you will reach many of the same conclusions. Before you say the Bible is false, why don't you really study it and learn what it says. I used to say that the Bible was a good tool (I still say that) but that you can't necessarily believe it word for word because it is interpretations of men inspired by God and hence (imperfection "man's interpretation) distorts it. This may be true to a small degree but the primary message in the Gospel is remarkably clear and comes through not in one or two books but four personal accounts with Christ.

There are many paths up the mountain to go back to God and no two are the same. Unfortuanely, we don't have the climbing skills to get there on our own. Thankfully, our gondola ride has already been paid in full. All you have to do is stop by the WILL CALL and accept it.

To sum this up JC I will offer this small bit of advice: Seek, LISTEN & HEAR what GOD is saying. You'll know HIM better when you do.

Thanks for reading this. I gotta go to bed.

God Bless you on your journey.

Will (~aka Jammerman)

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 02:37 PM
link   
hey jc i would just like to say that i am a christian and that is not a religion. i am also a baptist which is a religion but some things i dont agree with about it. i just know taht the baptist religion is closest to the bible except for the fact that you cant dance. but being a christian is a just being a follower of christ like that one dude said. it is the best thing

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   
just as with anything else...

1. Some people really fo believe that the stories are all completely true! Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but many really do believe... Blind faith, is an amazing thing.

2. Others just don't want to take responsibility for their lot in life...so they blame it on a deity, and then dupe themselves into believing that if the do good by the deity, then their reward will be a better life.

3. Still others have had an amazing thing happen once, ascribed it to a 'God', and now preach it's praises as a "thank you" as well as the belief that doing so will lead to even more "miracles".... This is where the "die-hard born agains" come from.

4. Others simply need to believe there is something more, and are happy with an answer...any answer, even if it is ambiguous "i.e. God works in mysterious ways".

Personally, I follow my own "religion" so to speak, made up of my own ideals, and spiritual beliefs. It's largely born of collected ideals that are common to most religions (i.e. an afterrealm, reincarnation, soul, etc.) but stops short of following human-established dogmas and rituals. It's simply what I "feel" to be true, and it suits me, and I'm comfortable with it.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I've searched my beliefs extensively on the subject.
Is religion a progression of rituals throughout history which try to give dignity and purpose to our lives or an empty hope in belief of in times of strife that a greater power knows all.
(My God, my God, why have thou forsaken me)

My first question to those of you who care is, why do Christains celebrate Jesus because he had INRI hammered on a piece parchment to the top of his cross.

Secondly proof. I demand proof. If anyone can prove God is there. Apart from faith and hope and calling me doubting Thomas because I dare question.( Such Heresy).

Thirdly an even bigger question of mine (which does my head in at times) is if how come people that are SO religious can hate each other as much as they do.

Do we all pray to a different God?
Be it Buddiusm, Christian, Hinduism or Islam.
Surely your, my religion doesn't encourage bloodshed, animosity and greed.

new topics

top topics

join