It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'$58,000 per second': Member wants debt clock displayed in House chamber

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I did a search but did not see this on the forums.

Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y.) last week introduced a resolution that would place a clock measuring the U.S. debt in the House chamber as a "visual gesture" that reminds members of the need to reduce spending.
"We are currently borrowing $58,000 per second," Reed said last week.
"We borrow at least forty cents of each dollar we spend. That is unsustainable. The debt clock will be a distinct reminder that our national debt must always be our first consideration as we continue to spend money that we do not have." Reed noted that the total U.S. debt reached $1.5 trillion in the U.S.'s first 193 years, but said the country will add that much in red ink in the current fiscal year
thehill.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think this was a great idea and it should have been implemented. It might of saved us from all the drama last month.
They need a debt clock in both houses of congress and in EVERY ROOM of the white house.
Hang one above the PRESIDENTS bed, let it be the last thing they see before going to sleep and the first thing they see when they wake up.reply to post by Quadrivium

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

the people who have the power to do anything would already know there is no hope. this really just puts our demise in our face and people really dont wana know till its to late

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I'd rather have the egg-timer of doom waiting for December 21, 2012 when rebecca black releases her album.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
And how many millions will it cost us taxpayers to have that installed in the House? How much electricity do you think that thing will cost us to run?

To me that sounds like an attempt at government fraud, and a waste of our taxpayer dollars, he should be impeached immediately for even suggesting such a waste of money.

It's something that they can check for free online, why do we have to pony up the cash for them to have it running behind them.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Too bad we didn't have one in place before we started going around starting wars that never should have happened in the first place.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
It's something that they can check for free online, why do we have to pony up the cash for them to have it running behind them.

I took the point to be that perhaps by shoving the counter in front of their faces, the shocking amount of money per second would infiltrate their minds and influence decisions they make, at least more so than it perhaps has in the past. And that this might help with the "Out of sight, out of mind" aspect of the problems we face.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
If we're going for a computer and a big flat screen monitor, let's go all out.

Have one that shows the national debt, unemployment rate, cost of war, number if illegal aliens and whatever else they seem to be unaware of.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So, America as of July,4,2011 is 235 years old. In 193 years they got into a 1.5 Trillion debt. So in 42 YEARS! They managed to spend another 12.5 TRILLION dollars! Any ideas where most of this money could of gone to? I'm guessing mostly wars.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Mod Note: Let us do proper debating and focus on the subject and not each other shall we?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Like an other ATS-member said....it is a great gesture. It will certainly remind the ones responisble for government finance that the US can't allow stupid spending.

But after a while nobody would pay any attention to that counter and will it be business as usual.

Maybe it is a good idea to find ways that these people will not become acustomed to the counter by putting the clock up only at times when significant decisions must be made...or display the counter only when the debt per second increases. To make an impression on the people who responsible for the US national debt at all times, there should be some way to trigger their sense of guild and responsibillity.

I do not remember who said it but most of the people in congress or senate have an education in law. They do not know much about trade or how a shop should be managed in general.

These people are trained to debate their point of view, or interest......which can be deadly for a shop owner. I am convinced that this lack of knowledge is big part of the reason why the economy has been going down the drain.

edit on 3/9/2011 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Term limits would definitely be a way to keep them from getting accustomed to the clock.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
And how many millions will it cost us taxpayers to have that installed in the House? How much electricity do you think that thing will cost us to run?

It would cost anyone (besides the government) around $2000 to do something like this. All thats needed is a large flat screen/monitor and a basic computer.

To me that sounds like an attempt at government fraud, and a waste of our taxpayer dollars, he should be impeached immediately for even suggesting such a waste of money.

So you want him impeached for being concerned about the economy?

The point was to force them to look at it. If not they will continue to ignore the problem just as many others do.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

It would cost anyone (besides the government) around $2000 to do something like this. All thats needed is a large flat screen/monitor and a basic computer.

That is if you or I did it, for the Federal Government to do something like this, multiply that number by at least 1000 and you would get in the ballpark.

So you want him impeached for being concerned about the economy?

I want him impeached for blatantly wasting our taxpayer dollars on this moronic idiotic idea.

The point was to force them to look at it. If not they will continue to ignore the problem just as many others do.

Like if they did this they would actually become concerned about the debt, please. The debt to these guys is a campaign strategy, nothing more, they don't give two squats about the debt.

If they actually cared at all about spending in this country they would cut their pay by at least half. Then I would believe they are serious about the debt problem in this country. Otherwise, it's political smoke and mirrors.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have a better idea...let's vote to put one in EVERY house in America; as a constant reminder of how much is being stolen from YOU. Who's to blame here...."them" or YOU. Afterall, it IS YOUR money; that they are frivolously spending. Tic-Toc, Tic-Toc, Tic-Toc, Ka-ching!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
How about instead of making grand gestures about the debt he does something to stop the debt?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
its a great idea on the surface but the things to consider

the clock will be made in china and cost 10 million dollars or more

take 100 government employees to hang up and plug in another 100 employess to verify and say compliant with epa regulations

etc.

a simple idea it should be with a simple overriding message but alas it will never happen spending doesnt matter only who spends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join