It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jovian Mass Solar Companion In The Oort Cloud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I've posted this thread here in the 2012 forum for the simple fact that the subject at hand is of admitted interest to those following the December 21st, 2012 paradigm.

Here's a paper I found at the Cornell University Library site. It's a 41 page paper submitted on April 26th, 2010 that argues for the existence of a Solar companion with the mass of Jupiter within the Oort Cloud. Just more scientific data to support the Nibiru or Planet X theory.

There are a number of download options for this file including the PDF file format, the PostScriptfile format and others. Worth the read in my opinion.

Abstact:

Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud

John J. Matese, Daniel P. Whitmire
(Submitted on 26 Apr 2010)
We present an updated dynamical and statistical analysis of outer Oort cloud cometary evidence suggesting the sun has a wide-binary Jovian mass companion. The results support a conjecture that there exists a companion of mass ~ 1-4 M_Jup orbiting in the innermost region of the outer Oort cloud. Our most restrictive prediction is that the orientation angles of the orbit normal in galactic coordinates are centered on the galactic longitude of the ascending node Omega = 319 degree and the galactic inclination i = 103 degree (or the opposite direction) with an uncertainty in the normal direction subtending ~ 2% of the sky. A Bayesian statistical analysis suggests that the probability of the companion hypothesis is comparable to or greater than the probability of the null hypothesis of a statistical fluke. Such a companion could also have produced the detached Kuiper Belt object Sedna. The putative companion could be easily detected by the recently launched Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).
Comments: 41 pages, 9 figures, submitted to ICARUS
Subjects: Earth and Planetary Astrophysics (astro-ph.EP)
Cite as: arXiv:1004.4584v1 [astro-ph.EP]
Submission history
[v1] Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:00:59 GMT (570kb)
lanl.arxiv.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

The putative companion could be easily detected by the recently launched Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).

So do they have any plans to see if they can detect it with WISE?

I have been following the Planet X talk since I was a kid, and I tend to agree with their hypothesis. I think there is a decent probability that there is a Jovian size mass in the oort cloud regions.

I can understand why it would be so difficult to detect however. So I will just await future revelations, as usual.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Binary systems are more common than single star systems, Its possible our sun
has a small companion hidden somewhere out beyond the Oort cloud. But even
if it does, it poses no danger to life on earth and would not be the mythical nibiru.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
Binary systems are more common than single star systems, Its possible our sun
has a small companion hidden somewhere out beyond the Oort cloud. But even
if it does, it poses no danger to life on earth and would not be the mythical nibiru.

Actually the paper discusses the persistent evidence for a body with the mass of Jupiter (not small). And within the Oort Cloud.

Originally posted by Atzil321...it poses no danger to life on earth and would not be the mythical nibiru.

Evidence for that statement?
edit on 9/2/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Common sense and a half decent education

I meant small in comparison to our sun...
edit on 2-9-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321

Common sense and a half decent education

Your claim is what is known as a glittering generality. Why don't you put some specifics into your claim.
edit on 9/2/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
How are people still bringing Tyche up in discussions regarding Nibiru? I would have thought with the n umerous threads we had regarding this in February and March people would have learned by now that it would be no threat. But since that doesn't seem to be the case let's go through this song and dance one more time. Tyche is a hypothetical planet 25,000 AU away that is the spiritual successor to the Nemesis hypothesis. Matese and Whitmire (who were founding researchers for Nemesis hypothesis) abandoned Nemesis when it was found that there is no periodicity to mass-extinctions, which was the original reason Nemesis was hypothesized.

Fast forward a few years and we have Tyche. Matese and Whitmire have proposed this body (which would be a planet, not a star) to explain the orbits of long-period comets. In order for this to be true Tyche would have to be 25,000 AU away and never come any closer. In other words it does not match the orbital characteristics attributed to Nibiru at all. There's also the fact that its existence has not been proven yet. If it exists it may be found in the WISE data, however so far nothing has turned up. This brings up the final point that nothing probably will be found. So far Matese and Whitmire seem to be the only ones supporting the Tyche hypothesis. Other astronomers seem to either be keeping their distance or outright refuting the claims of Matese and Whitmire. So in short, we've heard this before and even if it exists it is not Nibiru.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Matese and Whitmire have been talking about this for a long time. They've adjusted their theories quite a bit over the years and their means of coming to their conclusion. They have little evidence to support their theory and indeed, there is little support from the astronomical community for it.

But I don't see what this has to do with 2012. They've refined their theory to an object in an orbit between 10,000 and 30,000 AU from the Sun, which means it has an orbital period of about 2 million years. They do not make any claim that Tyche enters the inner solar system.
www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 9/2/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I thought Nibiru was about jovian size.....maybe not.....is this the baby that kicks the comets out of the oort coud?
I often wobered why we have comets whizzing through the solar system, what causes them to fly out of the oort cloud?
This jovian mass could.....

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

While it is likely there are at least dwarf planets lurking in the Oort Cloud, most astronomers do not support the hypothesis that they are the cause behind long period comets. The more likely cause is that they are disrupted by a passing star. Even one passing several hundred thousand AU away could have enough gravitational force to dislodge these comets and send them on their orbit towards the Sun.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Example: The posts above by Xcalibur254, Phage and Stirling provide data and/or points for discussion. Your post does not.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Its possible that tyche exists and its also likely that a low mass twin to our sun exists.
Here are links to credible sources on both hypothetical objects.

Tyche:blogs.discovermagazine.com...This source also points out that the article in the independent is not 100% acurate in its reporting of the subject.

Nemesis:www.astrobio.net...Very unfortunately named object with all the connotations it holds for the nibiru 'mythology' believers

Ok so there are two solid theory's for objects that may exist in our solar system 'WISE' has yet to find any trace, but they may be out there. Even if results came in tommorow declaring that they had been found, it would not prove the 2012 doomsayer brigade right, it would just expand our present knowledge of the solar system. Anyway, I hope this attones for my earlier sin of not adding anything construtive to your thread.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Matese and Whitmire have been talking about this for a long time. They've adjusted their theories quite a bit over the years and their means of coming to their conclusion. They have little evidence to support their theory and indeed, there is little support from the astronomical community for it.

But I don't see what this has to do with 2012. They've refined their theory to an object in an orbit between 10,000 and 30,000 AU from the Sun, which means it has an orbital period of about 2 million years. They do not make any claim that Tyche enters the inner solar system.
www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 9/2/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I agree and I think it is a reasonable hypothesis based upon the limited data we have.

I also agree that it does not appear to enter the inner system, as it would certainly create lasting chaos if it did. It's pretty big probably.

But this is what I consider the real Planet X, that has been proposed since after the discovery of Neptune. (In western Astronomy at least).

Jupiter and Saturn are really easy to spot with the naked eye, and this thing is at least as big as one of them.

But then again, instead of a planet it could be a cluster of asteroids on a vast scale which may or may not create the gravitational effects that are reported. I don't know gravitational physics so someone would have to crunch that.

We need better telescopes possibly. That could play into the equation of why we don't have solid verification of this thing yet. But we have some strong circumstantial evidence.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That's why Whitmire and Matese got that burst of publicity earlier this year. If their Tyche is there the data from WISE should reveal it.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

This is just a theory dude dont make it rule of thumb.
Has it posed a threat? Your evidence?????
Stop spreading fear.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Here's a paper I found at the Cornell University Library site. It's a 41 page paper submitted on April 26th, 2010 that argues for the existence of a Solar companion with the mass of Jupiter within the Oort Cloud. Just more scientific data to support the Nibiru or Planet X theory.

The paper in no way supports either Nibiru or Planet X.
1) They argue for a mass much larger than Jupiter
2) That object is not based on perturbations of the known planets which caused the search for a planet X
3) The object never comes close to the known planets which is a property of Nibiru
4) The probability of the existence of Tyche is rather slim - see the paper

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The existence of this object would not make our system a binary star system. The object named Tyche is not a star.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Nemesis is not a viable theory. It was shown that an object with a highly eccentric orbit would not have a stable orbit. Nemesis had a proposed 26My orbit. Determining that the orbital period would not be stable finished off that theory.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
here is a picture of a solar system ,that may be a good example of what our own solar system looks like from far away ..notice the bright object located in what would be known as the kuiper belt,,or the oort cloud ..in ours ???

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muSSang

I'd ask you to stop spreading ignorance first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join