It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ned Kelly's remains found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Ned Kelly's remains found

www.theage.com.au

Forensic experts have confirmed that human remains found at the old Pentridge Prison site in Melbourne are those of notorious Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.

After an exhaustive 20-month investigation, scientists and doctors today revealed that an almost complete skeleton found buried in a wooden axe box were those of the famous outlaw, who was executed in 1880.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

A DNA sample taken from Melbourne school teacher Leigh Olver, who is the great-grandson of Kelly's sister Ellen, confirmed the remains were those of the bushranger.

Kelly's remains were mixed among those of 33 others that were exhumed from Pentridge in 2009. His skull was stolen from a glass display case at the Old Melbourne Gaol in 1978 - the mystery surrounding its whereabouts sparking the investigation that led to the discovery.

Attorney-General Robert Clark said it was a remarkable achievement by forensic teams in Australia and around the world.
Ned Kelly.

"To think a group of scientists could identify the body of a man who was executed more than 130 years ago, moved and buried in a haphazard fashion among 33 other prisoners, most of whom are not identified, is amazing," he said.

Fascinating stuff. Although it has been rumoured for several years now that these bones were that of Australia's most famous Bushranger (outlaw), nothing had been confirmed up until now. Through the use of DNA extracted from a descendant, we can can now put one of our most famous icons to rest in his own grave.

www.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/9/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
hi op
thats amazing find

it also amazing that murderers rapists and pedos are still being caught many years later

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Who cares about Ned Kelly; he got what he deserved and the Australians have glorified this cold blooded lying thieving murdering skumbag since.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Does anyone find it a coincidence that just the other day Ned Kelly, the movie with Mick Jagger, was on television and the same station is promoting a bush ranger tv series about that era.Now who owns the media running this story which is old news.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Kryties

Who cares about Ned Kelly;

Plenty of people do, including myself. He is one of Australia's most iconic figures. You, sir, are in the minority.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I'm sorry Kryties...
I'm too distracted by your glorious avatar to compose a relevant and thorough response to your OP.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Cool and all, but where is his SKULL?????

[not in the second line of course]

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey

That's a bloody good question!

en.wikipedia.org...

Kelly's remains were buried in Melbourne Gaol's mass graveyard. Kelly's head was given to phrenologists for study then returned to the police, who used it for a time as a paperweight. In 1929, Melbourne gaol was closed, and the bodies in its graveyard were transferred to Pentridge prison. During the transfer of bodies, workers stole skeletal parts from a grave marked with the initials EK in the belief they belonged to Kelly. The site foreman retrieved the skull and gave it to the Australian Institute of Anatomy in Canberra. The skull in the possession of police was also given, at some unknown date, to the Institute of Anatomy in Canberra who, in 1971, gave it to the National Trust. It was displayed at the Old Melbourne Gaol until it was stolen in December 1978. Tom Baxter, a farmer from West Australia, claims he has the skull stolen in 1978 but has refused to hand it over for identification or burial. Despite attempts, the police have been unable to locate the stolen skull. The skull does not match photographs of the stolen skull, and a facial reconstruction based on a cast made from the skull in Baxter's possession does not resemble Kelly, but does resemble the death mask of Ernest Knox, who was executed in 1894 for murder. If this is indeed the skull stolen in 1978, it means that Kelly's skull was on display originally, but was taken off display at some time and thereafter replaced with Knox's skull.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Kryties

Who cares about Ned Kelly; he got what he deserved and the Australians have glorified this cold blooded lying thieving murdering skumbag since.

Have you read the whole story relating to the Kelly family??

Corruption isn't a new thing in the Victorian Police Force ya know.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I had several Ned Kelly books in my youth which I devoured with enthusiasm. Even visited Glenrowan, where the final battle occurred.

Ned Kelly's history is fascinating, he was not just a murderous thief as the simplified history books would suggest, hence why he remains such an icon of Australian history.
edit on 1/9/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Yes. there's usually two sides to every story..

Some are just blind to the facts..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by buskey

That's a bloody good question!

en.wikipedia.org...

Kelly's remains were buried in Melbourne Gaol's mass graveyard. Kelly's head was given to phrenologists for study then returned to the police, who used it for a time as a paperweight. In 1929

Wow, now I will always wonder, was my entire existence on this plane made possible so that I could serve as a means to keep some guy's papers from blowing away?

edit on 1-9-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey

I'm guessing the cops used it for more than that.

Many cops hate Kelly even today..
I heard the Attorney General talking about it today and even he was cold on Kelly..
They sure know how to hold a grudge.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
There has been mention that his remains will be put on display... like some Egyptian pharaoh. I hope he gets a proper burial for once. I find the whole fascination with his remains, including his skull, to be sickeningly morbid.

I hope it will be not only his relatives that see this as a disgrace if they do anything other than bury him.

One of Ned Kelly's relatives says he is disgusted that the Victorian Government is considering putting the infamous bushranger's skeleton on public display.

Anthony Griffiths, the great grandson of Ned Kelly's sister Grace, says any public exhibition of the bones would be "macabre and disgusting". "The presentation of a corpse on display is something out of medieval times," he said.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gargarean

Knowing our Government, they'd set up a display complete with gallows..

But I think public opinion will see the family have the final say thank god.

ATM I'd say Ned is more respected than the Victorian Police and Government..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I think we get the hint mate...

Speaking of grudges!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
the aussie iron man?

he was a bad ass!! robbing and killing.

went down like king richard the lion hearted with a shot to the eye!

right? that's what i was taught in 3rd grade. way back in the 50's!

edit on 1-9-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Me with a grudge?
You jest.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

No he got shot in the legs, where his armour ended.

He lived and faced trial to be hanged.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join