It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church closes food bank because it attracts poor people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Source

"Winnipeg: A busy church food bank, known for offering warm drinks and snacks to its regulars, has announced it's closing because it is attracting too many poor people.

"It's attracting a lot of street people that make it uncomfortable,' said Charlotte Prossen, Unity Truth Centre minister Thursday, 'It's creating social unrest in the church'

"'A food bank is a social service and that is not who we are'

"Ms. Prossen said the program is being cancelled to focus on more church-specific activities. The church's board of trustees made the decision to cancel the bimonthly food bank after receiving an e-mail from a sister church in Victoria.

Well, more giving and loving stories from churches. I'm happy to have them around because they bring happiness and prosperity to people who need it.

Pfffft, get rid of churches, get rid of religion, there is no downfall to it. At the very least tax these religious organizations because this doesn't sound like a charity action to me.

Is there anything positive about religion other than the people who still believe in their delusions, and still believe in this Santa clause guy?

Any thoughts?

Pred...

edit on 31-8-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
O M G!!!!!

What else is there to say???

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
O M G!!!!!

What else is there to say???

SMH, Earth

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I can see them not wanting to give out food to strangers because that's not what it's for. Still, to go on and imply that they want to stop it because they're tired of feeding the poor who have not taken responsibility for their own lives...um, do these people know about the worldwide economy and the price of things these days? Seriously, so much for Christ-like love.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This was not a social program, this was a benefit for Church Members.

Poor people always have a way of messing up a good thing. Hungry? Get a freaking job. Probably tired of the bums eating and running. Wonder if they ever got an offer to help serve the food or clean up afterwards? Probably not.

Name one social program meant to help the poor that the poor hasn't took advantage of and ruined for everyone else.

Social Security, Unemployment, Welfare? Name one.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Im not sure if its relevant or not, but this was like a decade ago apparently. Found an article which says its an old story:
www.patheos.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Just thought I'd mention something about the Unity church as a family member who was brought up catholic (non practicing for most of their life) attends the one in Victoria.

This church has no designated religion and has members of all faiths attend. This church is for people who are more focused on the overall message of spirituality than a specific god/deity in their offical faith.

It has helped my family member immensely with their well being and overall happiness. I wouldn't call them religious.

The "church" in Victoria has had issues not with the poor, but with the drug addicts who abuse the generosity of the "church" and show no respect for the attending members.

No I am not religious, or attend this "church" but I agree whole hardily with their decision.
edit on 31-8-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What's that about Santa Clause?

Not surprised it closed, church doesn't want to get a bad reputation by helping the wrong people

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

Well I guess that makes sense

edit on 31-8-2011 by contradictory because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Is there anything positive about religion other than the people who still believe in their delusions, and still believe in this Santa clause guy?

Lets be honest, some of the best horror movies have their roots in biblical fantasy...if not for religion, specifically christianity, hollywood wouldn't be as interesting.

I agree they should not have tax exempt status. They should be treated as any other science fiction fanclub organization.

There are of course plenty of religious organizations that do good things for the poor and needy (for a price..that being your soul). But, hell, there are plenty of secular organizations that also do good for the poor and needy, without the price in the end.

Lets just say that this particular church are either a bunch of jerks, or more likely, started something with good intentions but without any logistical foresight...and once they turned their get to know the community lunches into a soup kitchen, the agenda flopped...anyone with a little bit of target audience understanding would have pointed this out to the organizers beforehand.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This story would be exactly why I don't and won't give a thin dime to organized religion. We have a Church (more like a corporate behemoth) located close to me here. They've put on multi-million dollar firework shows every year for their annual recruitment drive (They don't call it that..but c'mon) while our local papers carry headlines about the food banks watching their shelves go bare and having to turn people away. That is one of the most glaring examples in my local area, but of course, it's not at all unique around the nation and world these days.

Perhaps government aid is a place rife with fraud, but it's been my experience in life that people who actually show up to a food bank to accept physical food and not money or other aid, really NEED it. Wasn't there something in there about The Church being the Earth based extension of God and God's will? (Or...substitute whatever name best fits one's own beliefs) I guess God doesn't mind the Church first looking at apparent means and income before offering help to the lowest in our society.

What a truly terrible story to illustrate just how far our Society is falling. S/F for bringing such a thing to everyone's attention.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The best way into forcing religion is hunger, how do you think missionaries converted so many people in Africa?

GM

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Poor people always have a way of messing up a good thing. Hungry? Get a freaking job.

Ahh, I remember when Jesus gave that sermon...it was very inspirational.
I think afterwards, he tossed back a few brews and went gay bashing with some hillbillys

Probably tired of the bums eating and running. Wonder if they ever got an offer to help serve the food or clean up afterwards? Probably not.

Wait, would -you- want some poor homeless person touching your kitchen facilities...eww...you get poor all over it.

Name one social program meant to help the poor that the poor hasn't took advantage of and ruined for everyone else.

Social Security, Unemployment, Welfare? Name one.

Well, you named three...so, lets add onto that list then
public education instead of mass ignorance (as was the norm before public education)
Roadworks (sort of helps everybody though)
food stamps
hmm...actually, just name any social program and I will explain how its a good thing verses a bad thing...unless by "ruined it for everyone", you mean ruined feeling like an elitist piece of trash that can feel better about themselves for being born into a family with money and can therefore look down at the misfortunes of others.

I love your posts. I wish you had your own talk show frankly...I would be a avid listener..and would tell all my friends about it

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Ive looked for any article besides personal blogs and pictures of the newspaper clip for this story, but nothing can I find on date (only the mention of it being 2000) on the ottawa citizen website. The farthest I could go back is 2006 and nothing pulled up under that headline.

If anyone can find something else on this that I might of missed: www.ottawacitizen.com...
edit on 31-8-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Let's build a spaceship.

And leave this God forsaken planet, when I say God forsaken, i mean religiously forsaken. It seems to be man that is the problem, not God.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget
Let's build a spaceship.

And leave this God forsaken planet, when I say God forsaken, i mean religiously forsaken. It seems to be man that is the problem, not God.

due to a lack of any real inhabitable planets closeby, I would suggest we build a spaceship, and then eject "them" out of earths area...

Going to need a big ship though..something that can comfortably fit about 6+ billion (give or take)..

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

There are positives to religion, a sense of community, togetherness and of course the emotions, the so-called "spiritual" experiences. All of those things, of course, can be had without the superstitious belief in a deity and without the baggage of dogma that unfortunately accompanies religion.

Of course one of the positives of religion often cited by believers is the whole charity thing and this church isn't making the case very well.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Okay, I found words now.
Who the hell did they open the food bank for?

Rich people???

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If only the culprit from the book Angels and Demons achieved his goal in real life...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The "church" in Victoria has had issues not with the poor, but with the drug addicts who abuse the generosity of the "church" and show no respect for the attending members.
reply to post by Vardoger

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement...

When the poor and addicted do nothing to try and change the behaviors that caused them to hit poverty and destitution..yet are willing to take out handouts..intended for the struggling in that church..with little or no gratitude...i can totally understand why they would shut down the operation. I know of people who go to food banks..and charities..and take as much as they can..so the money they get from their paycheck can go to gambling ,drinking and drugs.

Anyone who can put this church down for the decision they made..needs to open their own food bank..give out sandwiches everyday.... and see the people who will abuse it..with very little gratitude. I'm not saying all do..but obviously this church was at the point where the comfort and safety of their flock was more important than people who are willing to abuse the system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join