It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do girls need make-up? -_-

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by Replica

No the system built around vanity is not the catalyst for it. This is something we have been doing for longer than there have been corporations and media. A unique style is something we have always strived for since we have lived in societies.

If that is true then why haven't men been pressured to wear makup beyond a photo shoot?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by adraves

reply to post by Replica

No the system built around vanity is not the catalyst for it. This is something we have been doing for longer than there have been corporations and media. A unique style is something we have always strived for since we have lived in societies.

If that is true then why haven't men been pressured to wear makup beyond a photo shoot?

Personally I have a thing for guy liner. I find it sexy and wish more guys would wear it.

Younger girls wear a ton of makeup because its new, and they are inexperienced with it. I am not a fan of makeup personally but as a pale blond, I have to wear mascara or it looks like I don't have eye lashes. I never wear lipstick. I hate the way it looks.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Luckily I was blessed with long, thick, dark eyelashes. A lot of girls have told me they are jealous.

As for makeup, good for you. I have always, and still prefer a girl without makeup, and feel that ALL girls look better without it. It is kind of disgusting to kiss someone coated in oils and nastiness.

PS~When I first started dating my fiancee this was a big issue with us. I ended up talking her into makeup lessons and better products. Of course I wanted no makeup, so we had to come to a middle ground. She looked horrible before that. Now she has toned it down and looks beautiful.

edit on 31-8-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think the problem is not too much make-up but lots of girls don't understand what the heck they're doing when choosing products and applying them. Many girls (including myself) wear a huge amount of make-up but when cleverly done it still looks natural...

I don't agree that using make-up causes spots or any other skin problems - I won't leave the house without a full face of make-up and I only rarely get a spot when my period is due sometimes. The trick is to choose products to suit your skin type and cleanse thoroughly at the end of the day!

Elizabeth Taylor once said that one of the secrets to her fabulous skin was using foundation, because it actually protects the skin from the daily elements which cause premature ageing

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
First of all, this is still the "Britney Spears, Pussycat dolls pop culture generation" so you should not be surprised to see all girls wearing making up until looking like clowns. Young girls don't have to wear that much makeup and contrairely to the knee-jerk reactions of the probably immature sexist, chauvinists on here, more girls are naturally beautiful without.

Second of all: Gender bastardization: Like somebody said earlier, it is a tribal primitive ritual known to the primitive nature of man and the broken world system we STILL live in just find new ways to reinforce it. Throughout history the female have always had to endure body mutilation, modification for the male ego.

And third of all, you'd think that by now the so-called health-conscious people would be more focus on skincare with all the dangers associated to the unknown/known chemicals in these cosmetic products.

All this is telling us is that society, either hasn't changed that much or is downgrading even more.

Oh and O.P. deserves at least one flag for bringing a valide observation

edit on 31-8-2011 by Exv8densez because: Adding a flag

edit on 31-8-2011 by Exv8densez because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Exv8densez

Female bodily mutilation?

When did this happen? Just you say this as if It's some global phenomenon.

If you're talking about modification then that's a different story.
edit on 31-8-2011 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

Because in nature, it is the job of the human female to make her self noticed in order to attract a male. The more a female stood out the better chance she had at attracting her mate.

Men made themselves more attractive though hunting prowess or social standing.

Remember, nobody took genetics into account. If you were fit to survive or you were a sought after female then you mated. You had to make an impression to attract the best.

Men do these things differently in regards to a unique look. Tattoos, peircings, wearing trophies or showing off spoils of war or hunting. Since the women weren't the hunters and leaders their incentives were fertility and looks.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pussycat

Don't be too hard on them, they're just experimenting and probably trying to be 'grown-up' - even if they are going about it the wrong way

If they practice enough now they'll probably look great by the time they get the hang of it.

I don't suppose school is the right place to wear make-up but, at least school is a safe environment. Young girls are very vulnerable and probably don't realise how much negative attention they attract with some of their wilder outfits, but it's not an easy thing to explain it to them.

I'd like to see a world where they could look as daft as they like before before they have to start taking life seriously.

Have a look at make-up and fashions throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s - hippies, punks, new romantics, goths. It would be a shame if kids couldn't still express themselves or demonstrate their attachment to some 'movement' or other through their make-up and dress.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I am pretty sure in nature that males are the ones that need to be on display. Look at birds. Look at gorillas. Males are expected to be the most colorful, strong, and stand out. Females are weaker and blend in more. Females are a commodity (limited resource) and male fight for the females.

I am no trying to knock you, but based on nature one would expect males to wear the makeup to attract females, not the other way around. Men are lured to women with or without makeup. It is what we do.

If anything, blame society. We are all pressured to do crazy thing to get our mates.

Anyways any thoughts on circumcision/genital mutilation.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

We aren't pressured. Its something we do subconsciously
the system just takes advantage of our natures and insecurities.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
how many black eyeliners can a girl have? (or boy!!)

wait... what? there's other makeup out there? really? for what?

seriously, if I do wear makeup (rarely), its dark eyeliner - I can't be bothered with plastering and painting

if people don't like how I look, too bad, don't look at me
I don't like how I look either, so I stay away from mirrors

luckily, everyone has a taste and a type and "my type of guy" likes this type of girl

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

The same things happen to men. We are all expected to be a certain way and be something we are not. I understand that.

I still feel women are more attractive without makeup.

~Peace~

PS~I am sick of hearing about women moments when men are just as oppressed and have the same amount if not more pressure on them to be a certain way. Grrr.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

My wife doesn't believe in makeup which I am glad about. I know many women who are good looking without but insist on wearing tons of it. Years of wearing the stuff will actually ruin your complexion. Also it creates a false beauty, like how some men find their wives unattractive without makeup even though they may not be unattractive woman.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am neither ugly nor insecure, I simply love makeup. I feel our faces are like a blank canvas, every day it is like I create art with my make up application. It is fun, and if people dont like it, they have the option of not looking of course!

Most of us do not NEED it, we want it and like it!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Why do people have piercings or tattoos? Why are so many of you making judgements about Other peoples reasons for doing what they wish with their Own body? Some of ya'll need to get off your high-horses...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
*Mental note*
Stock up on Black eyeliner for the Apocalypse.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pussycat

Why do girls need make-up?

To attract males, and certain types of males. Or to make themselves feel better knowing that they get looks from the male gender. Its a energy transaction/consolation thing.

What's your opinion?

I really don't care.

Its there life let them do whatever. Though some I have seen that really over due it, and it don't look sexy at all. But I am pretty sure the ladies know what there doing and why, when they play with makeup and get all dolled up.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

In human history male fashion was rather flamboyant. Not sure what the white wig fad was all about, but they wore hose & garters and silk breeches and adornments....The wealthy ones at least.

Much like women wear make up now, the men of medieval and colonial times never left home without their wig,,,if they had one. When wigs weren't in vogue it was curls instead of sideburns.

Maybe this is the source of all the gender confusion in the world today. Maybe men are the ones suppose to wear lingerie

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join