It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cables Reveal 2006 Summary Execution of Civilian Family in Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Where are all the people saying we had to remove Gaddaffi because of human rights abuses. I'm assuming they will agree NATO must now bomb the US for these abuses, correct?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It is a sad day to be an American.
When will we become civilized again?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
What's sick about this is even if wikileaks is controlled opposition (I trust them about 50%) these cabals could be 100 percent true. After all, if you want to destroy a nation, what better way to do it then to hijack the military (which happened on 9/11), commit war crimes (which happened during the Iraq war and continues today) and then release the documents when you want the truth out there and the world to hate America. It's just one way to tell the story.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
There are photographs of the alleged "corpses" on the other thread. I pointed out there, and I will point out here, that the children have NO HEAD WOUNDS.

How can you shoot a five year old in the head, and it doesn't leave a gaping hole?

And before anyone accuses me of insinuating this is a lie, I will tell you I am not "insinuating".
I'm stating outright that there are inconsistencies in the story in the way it was reported, and what the photographs themselves portray.

To OP: I don't think it's against T/C to swipe another OP's, OP content. But I will say, it's not very nice.
edit on 9/1/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

As I said on the other thread, I think you will find that is a stock photo. The house was bombed, do you think the corpses would look like that? With all those fluffy blankets? It is a stock photo designed to tug at the heart strings - Oh look at the sweet little kiddies, just like the ones that got BRUTALLY MURDERED.

ETA - My appologies I was wrong. I see that this is presented as the actual children. Interesting.

Now we have that little misunderstanding ironed out....

The article the other OP found was relivent, contained good info, and was a better source, so I really don't care a toss what you think. I appologised to him, and I nicked it!

edit on 1-9-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well I asked it in the other thread before it was locked, and I'll ask it again here:

Has any US soldier been held accountable for their crimes in the last 20 years?
Because I can't think of a single one.

The US thinks so little of international law that they're willing to assassinate someone and have the president waving his little flag for days afterwards.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

so I really don't care a toss what you think. I appologised to him, and I nicked it!

Aren't you charming, though?

Good luck sunshine.

Unsubscribed.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by Shamatt

so I really don't care a toss what you think. I appologised to him, and I nicked it!

Aren't you charming, though?

Good luck sunshine.

Unsubscribed.

Thank you

Well, what do you expect?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Well that thread got locked anyway, so it's porbably good he did stick it in this thread or else it would have sunk without a trace

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxSteiner

Yes, true. I'm glad the photo's are on here for others to examine.

To the OP: Apology accepted.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaxSteiner
Well I asked it in the other thread before it was locked, and I'll ask it again here:

The US thinks so little of international law that they're willing to assassinate someone and have the president waving his little flag for days afterwards.

Yes I actually can say that U.S. soldiers have been held accountable. Is it in the news? NO.... Should it be in the news? NO... U.S. soldiers are locked up all the time for their atrocities, but the news media isn't told about them for good reason, they want to keep these "bad nuts" hidden from the public eye. I have family and friends in the military who know some of those that have been accused....

Just because the news media hasnt showed it happening, that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

Well the thing is, I've seen PLENTY of high profile attrocities carried out by UK and US forces which were covered in the news, and in every event the soldiers were let off... If the ones we hear about go unpunished, what makes you think all the ones we don't hear about are any different?

Secret punishment is fine in appropriate situations, but justice needs to be seen to be done sometimes you know? It's unhealthy otherwise.
Especially when its crimes commited by a country which see's fit to assasinate its enemies and impose illegal reigime change where ever it feels the need.

edit on 1-9-2011 by MaxSteiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Well the thing is, I've seen PLENTY of high profile attrocities carried out by UK and US forces which were covered in the news, and in every event the soldiers were let off... If the ones we hear about go unpunished, what makes you think all the ones we don't hear about are any different?

Secret punishment is fine in appropriate situations, but justice needs to be seen to be done sometimes you know? It's unhealthy otherwise.
Especially when its crimes commited by a country which see's fit to assasinate its enemies and impose illegal reigime change where ever it feels the need.

edit on 1-9-2011 by MaxSteiner because: (no reason given)

I dont totally disagree with you, I think there are times when soldiers that do bad need to be publicly punished. The ones you see where the soldiers are "let off" probably have something to do with media spin, or something else, I couldn't really tell you. I am just stating the fact that soldiers do get in trouble for their actions when they are caught red handed doing something they were not supposed to do.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Yeah I hear you, maybe it's unspoken policy not to punish in the event of leaked information on the grounds that they can't recieve a fair trial once it's in the public eye or something like that.

A bigger issue is the illegal rendition flights really. In the UK we had people admiting they knew about planes stopping off here on their way to Egypt carrying prisoners bound for the torture chambers, and we had observers there, but the ministers had the gaul to claim they didn't know they were being take there to be tortured. Why the hell did they think they were being flown from Cuba to Egypt?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Soldier may not be getting official reprimand for committing atrocities, but the suicide rate amongst both serving and ex military suggests that many are punishing themselves.

Unfortunately it is probably only those with a conscience who feel the guilt that leads them to take their own life. The really sick ones go on to fight another "war".

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Off the top of my head, Michael Behenna (who was probably innocent), Lynndie England, Charles Graner, Terrence Larken (but you might not consider that a crime), and Hasan Akbar. With a few minutes of research, I was able to find nin e others convicted for the Abu Ghraib incidents; Robert Stevens; Joseph Bozicevich; Jeremy Morlock; John Hatley, Michael Leahy, and Charles Quigley; Augustin Aguayo; Timothy Hennis; Emmit Quintal; Adam Winfield; Adam Kelly; Corey Moore; James Baker and Paul Cortez; Steven Ribordy and Belmor Ramos; Cedar Lanmon; Roderick Sanchez; and Evan Vela. Those are just soldiers who pled guilty to or were convicted of at least one charge. If you include ongoing courts martial, or members of the other four services, you can find many more.

Hopefully, at least one of the above will stick. If not, I recommend Google the next time you feel curious. Search for "court martial guilty," "US soldier guilty," or some other variation on that theme.

"Treachery towards robbers and pirates is not indeed blameless, but goes unpunished among nations by reason of hatred of those against whom it is practiced" (Grotius). Or, if you want a more modern opinion, assassination is legal under international law.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I posted this in the other thread that got closed down earlier this morning.

We don't need Wikileaks to tell us that bad things happen in wartime. You say this is good because the proof that is needed to prosecute American Generals of war crimes is now out there. Do you really think that is going to happen? In America? I wish it would, but I'm being realistic here when I say that it won't.

Is it right to kill women and children execution style? Absolutely not. Is anyone going to be held accountable for it? Probably not, and no amount of Wikileaks information is going to change that.

If Wikileaks wants to make a difference in the world, they would "leak out" the names, phone numbers and addresses of the high ranking officials who order things like this, so people like you can form a vigilante style group of people and take matters into your own hands. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that either, all I'm saying is that if you want justice to prevail in situations like this you are going to HAVE to take matters into your own hands because TPTB protect their own. And if you can't see that, I'm sorry.

This protection comes from the top and it's done by way of doing things in such a manner where so many high profile people are involved in so many ways, that's it's impossible to pinpoint one or two people who are directly responsible. They do this by design. It's no accident. They do it in such a way where if you want to go through the regular legal channels to resolve this type of issue to put the blame on one person, you'll have to blame them all. And I'm sorry, but that's never going to happen.

The only way that common men and women like you and me are ever going to see justice served is if we serve it ourselves. And if history is any indicator, that's never going to happen either because the American public, by and large, would rather have things given to them, like information, freedoms, justice,etc...., rather then them going out and getting it themselves. It's as if they feel that they're not capable of being in charge of their own lives. They're content just sitting back and complaining about how the government and military, who they CHOOSE to let control them, are big, bad monsters and something really ought to be done about it.

Something DOES need to be done about it, and it needs to be done by us. Do you really think they're going to clean up their own house?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Who cares, we only pay $2,000 for each innocent Iraqi we kill.

Save the American Buffalo....start offering hunts in Iraq to kill Iraqi's....cheaper than a Buffalo hunt.

We've ONLY killed 1/30th of their population. No big deal.

Look at the Philippines. We went in there and slaughtered those people. Ole US Army General Smith said "kill everyone under 10 years old"....and look now....Philippines LOVES us.

So we just need to kill everyone in Iraq over 10 years old. It's been proven it works!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If it were not for wikileaks it would have never seen the light of day - we still haven't seen all the gitmo footage.
They released the gitmo-lite stuff.

But yes, soldiers have been held accountable. It doesn't make the mainstream news but if you search on it, you'll see it in google news.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Wow there are a couple then
Some of those you've listed were tried for desertion, which seems a bit of a stretch, but I graciously accede the point my good man

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Now we know why there is a high incident of suicides in the military.these guys are being lead to fight a righteous war,and remember most of the guys and gals that were over there were lied to as we were(911),and found out differently.These men and women will have to live with this the rest of their lives,most of them know the truth now.We are talking about young men and women,kids some just out of high school that don't have a clue as to what life is about.Don't blame the military all they do is take orders,right or wrong.
I see the Marines coming out of boot camp every week and I love every one of them they make me proud,but it breaks my heart at the same time because I know what most of them don't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join