It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most unbelievable blast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
A lightning strike nearby sounds incredibly louder and more abrupt than thunder off in the the distance.

The sound itself will vary on how the lightning is oriented relative to you. If it's essentially curved around you (picture it from the side) then the sound will all arrive at once.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by megabogie

I know and that bothered me the most because three villages heard the blast and no coverage

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

But can lightning be just as loud at same time 5 miles across ?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks Antar thats nice

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by Uncinus

You didn't hear what they heard, so you can't say it was exactly the same, or just as loud. And you were awakened by this blast, so they might have also heard earlier thunder.

If the blast woke you, then how do you know how loud it was, or what the full sound was like? You were asleep when the sound started.

Of course it could have been something else, but thunder seems the most likely.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
OK, I know this is probably an unscientific observation but I did notice a major difference in the Lightning in the UK (assuming that the OP is in Europe and close to the UK) versus the Lightning in the US, particularly in the Midwest.

I lived south of London for nearly a year and the one thing I noticed was that there was always rainstorms but never any "thunderstorms"; most know the type, the kind that make you jump out of your skin because they strike so close and so violently. This was back in 1986-87.

I even clearly remember saying to some folks that I could not wait to get back to the US just so I could hear a real storm! I am serious!

Here are my thoughts; if indeed the above has any basis in truth, then it could be that our "climate change" has indeed brought about a newer aspect of what it is like to go through a thunderstorm. If the UK was this way in regards to "real" thunderstorms, then other places across Europe must also be like that, I would imagine, as I am certain that there are many people everywhere that know rain but never quite know the power of the Lightning as we normally have it here in the States. Of course, I could have just caught the UK in "one of those years" when things were extremely quiet.

I think the OP experienced what most American's, especially across the Midwest, experience normally. It was a classic Thunderbolt from the Heavens!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

you arent in Mentor are you?

THat blast came from a huge transformer blowing up.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think it was just a large thunderclap directly over your house, people are often shocked by
how loud thunder is when it when it goes off in close proximity to them. The sudden increase in pressure and temperature from lightning produces rapid expansion of the air surrounding and within a bolt of lightning. In turn, this expansion of air creates a sonic shock wave, under certain conditions they can be powerful and heard very violently for miles around.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Check out my thread on what I heard less then 2 weeks ago, sounds like what you heard! Link here!
edit on (30/8/11) by SLAPurMAMA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by Uncinus

On your map, the blue arrows are at most two miles from the central "blast", so if there was a thunderclap over Woerden, then Kamerik and Linschoten would still hear a very loud noise.

The timing also seems to roughly co-incide with this weather warning nearby.

www.rnw.nl...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAPurMAMA

That has some coincidental feature in it, have to admit that the weather is drastically changing and I have to assume that what I experienced was something between lightning or sonic boom from some aircraft , but it still has a mysterious touch around this ...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

Yeah I know we have indeed a lot of weather warnings lately. So Ill have to keep it by some sort of lightning strike that woke me up ..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join