It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galileo got it wrong: Catholics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
... but for the record, I do NOT think we are near the edge of the universe.

we may be at the edge of something, but it's not the edge of the entire universe. just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Geo-Centric Narcissism, with a touch of blind religious ignorance.

It's the solipsistic, self obsessed nature of the pious, the faith-based mentality; the universe was designed with US in mind. LOL.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget
reply to post by Realtruth

Geo-Centric Narcissism, with a touch of blind religious ignorance.

It's the solipsistic, self obsessed nature of the pious, the faith-based mentality; the universe was designed with US in mind. LOL.

And what of those who oppose it? This thread demonstrates that the piousness is human in nature and not the sole purview of the religious, lol!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanfilters

This is gonna get deleted but I don't care. Domo1, you are a colossal prick.

Well not by my doing. I just gave you a star!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

edit on 29-8-2011 by Swanfilters because: You're not worth it.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

And what of those who oppose it? This thread demonstrates that the piousness is human in nature and not the sole purview of the religious, lol!

Is it human in nature? Is lying human in nature? You only say so because we are the only animal on earth to facilitate the capacity of ideas and deep-reflection on the universe/reality and our part in it.
edit on 29/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

This isn't craigslist, stop propositioning me! Love/hate relationship you and I are developing here!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by 547000

Actually I have, yes, thankyou, please come again.....

I believe it's called Astronomy 101.

Oh cool, I guess you studied the data instead of just listened to the textbook like the skeptical thinker you are.
edit on 29-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

This isn't craigslist, stop propositioning me! Love/hate relationship you and I are developing here!

Our relationship will end the same way all do. In an acrimonious court battle in which I will win half of your dog.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
You never heard of the Flat Earth Society?

This news doesn't really shock me since there are still people claiming the world is flat.

So now you are trying to say the Earth is not flat ???

What are you some kind of illuminati shill, trying to press your own conspiracy agenda ??

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
what a fine collection of idiots! i hope they don't plan on a boat trip,lest they sail off the end of the earth!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget
reply to post by redoubt

Is it human in nature? Is lying human in nature? You only say so because we are the only animal on earth to facilitate the capacity of ideas and deep-reflection on the universe/reality and our part in it.
edit on 29/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

Yes, lying is human nature but, more to the point, lying presumes intent to deceive. People can believe an untruth and speak it without lying. They may be wrong... but they are genuine.

If it someday turned out the earth was the center of the universe, you would not have lied in stating otherise. It was merely a mistake (like my typos lol) and we are not perfect. Not a single one of us.

edit on 29-8-2011 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Our relationship will end the same way all do. In an acrimonious court battle in which I will win half of your dog.

As long as I get to choose which half! If you're a woman I think I love you that post cracked me up! If you're a guy it's bromance time even if you hate me.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

It's really this simple - if the Sun and planets revolved around Earth then how is it that all of our deep space satellites have gone exactly where we tell them too? How have we landed multiple rovers on Mars, sent satellites to orbit the Sun and sent probes into deep space if our orbital dynamics mathematics is wrong?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
After relativity, the Copernican theory doesn't have much significance except ease of mathematical calculation.

Relativistically speaking, positing any point in the solar system or the universe as its "centre" is just as meaningful/meaningless as any other.

Taking certain points/bodies as "centre" helps us to continue to use Newtonian mechanics to compute the paths and predict motion much easier than other points/bodies. It is mathematical convenience and nothing more.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well, Galileo is right to the best of our knowledge. Give me an absolute reference frame, por fabor.

edit on 29-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Yes, lying is human nature but, more to the point, lying presumes intent to deceive. People can believe an untruth and speak it without lying. They may be wrong... but they are genuine.

If it someday turned out the earth was the center of the universe, you would not have lied in stating otherise. It was merely a mistake (like my typos lol) and we are not perfect. Not a single one of us.

High-school level physics will show us that the milky way is NOT the centre of the universe, likewise, we won't later find out that the Earth is infact a cuboid, rather than an oblate spherooid.

Lying may be a human characteristic; but the fact we formed language and a civilisation shows that we are a trustworthy species; if the majority lied it would render language/communication utterly useless.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by Kryties

Well, Galileo is right to the best of our knowledge.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Indeed.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

As long as I get to choose which half! If you're a woman I think I love you that post cracked me up! If you're a guy it's bromance time even if you hate me.

I am words on a screen with no gender. Though I was born with a peepee. *Brolove*

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join