It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG The winds are absolutely ferocious ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
... they've been battering the Orkney Islands (north of Scotland) for hours now. Gale force winds & driving rain.

Ha. I bet you thought I meant that "other storm" didn't you ? But there's a lesson to be learned here.

What have these brave islanders done ? Did they build their homes from wood ? No. Did they build their homes from sheet glass ? Nope. They built their homes to last from materials which dont, um, blow away. Have they created post after post after post on here ? Created one more doomladen thread after another ? Evacuated the islands ? Bought out every shop ? Nope.

They just suffer the weather, much like the inhabitants of every other bleedin nation on earth. They just suffer it & get on with life.

Not for them running around screaming "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god" as a cardboard box rolls down the street. They're far hardier than the frit girls, boys & girlyboys of NE USA, those sad little people who so clutter the internet with their self indulgent inanities.

It's just a storm. It's not even a bad storm. Just a mega hyped one.

Now, I don't want to appear heartless. Perhaps we should organise a telethon for NE USA ? You can pledge money or goods. They need water, bottled (preferably Volvic or a similar quality brand), clothing (you simply can't go wrong with Abercrombie & Fitch) & foodstuffs (a lovely steak diane with a neat little bottle of red, always appreciated) ... and if you happen to have a spare iPad going free too ... please send that on as well.

Eevery little helps, after all *cough*

Don't sympathise with my opinions ? I don't care. It'll be off to the rant section and forgotton soon enough.
edit on 28/8/11 by Niall197 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
What is annoying me is the blanket coverage this non event is receiving. Can't they just pack it in? 15 inches of rain and 60 mph winds are what we have in the UK almost daily in some parts.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Funny that there has only been small snippets on the News about it. But Hurricane Irene is predominantly is on the News. Just a pity there is no one who lives around that area, with a Camera to show us footage live on the Internet. Now that would be coolz.

hurso lifeboat has gone to the assistance of a ship drifting towards the Caithness coast in severe weather.

The cargo vessel Norholm requested assistance after its engines failed at about 04:20 on Sunday.

BBC News
edit on 28-8-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
And before you can even say "this site has become the laughing stock of the conspiracy world" ... the thread gets moved.

Three cheers to moderator 12m8keall2c, whose efficiency can never be faulted.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Sorry man jacking your thread) lurker here)

Massachusetts just had an earthquake i felt it my son felt it and alot of the stuff in the house just got destroyed, I went to look outside and i saw 42 seagulls sitting on a cloud in 40mph winds call your family what ever is happening its happening right now.
edit on 8/28/2011 by dbates because: Caps lock edit

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sakerasu

I would love to see 42 seagulls ridin' a cloud.

"not much, just chillin"

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Sakerasu

Sunday August 28 2011, 12:25:30 UTC 7 minutes ago Northern California 1.1 2.6 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 12:17:53 UTC 15 minutes ago Central California 2.7 7.6 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 12:10:46 UTC 22 minutes ago Nevada 1.3 12.0 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 12:10:01 UTC 23 minutes ago Central Alaska 2.2 0.5 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 12:05:54 UTC 27 minutes ago Alaska Peninsula 2.3 57.5 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 11:40:58 UTC 52 minutes ago Southern California 1.2 3.7 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 11:10:27 UTC 82 minutes ago Central California 1.6 0.8 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 11:01:25 UTC 91 minutes ago Nevada 1.3 8.0 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 10:48:28 UTC 104 minutes ago Kodiak Island region, Alaska 2.0 66.4 Detail
Sunday August 28 2011, 10:42:29 UTC 110 minutes ago Central California 2.2 5.8 Detail

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

Go back to being a lurker please... yes, I understand it's a joke by the way
edit on 8/28/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Ha! I don't see what all the hoopla is about?
Wind ain't that strong!
I just broke it!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

You speak my language! It's a storm, may be bad.. how do other people cope on daily basis with these conditions? They get on with it. We get snow here in the UK, it's catastophic, the Country closes lol! You'd find me cruising around in the car though, looking for the most dangerous places to drive lol

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
What the heck is it with this site that some people seem to insist on turning every national tragedy / disaster / news story into a "My country is harder then yours" competition, we had Americans telling the UK people that "our riots are worse" UK and Americans talking smack about the Australian floods and now UK people telling Americans that they shouldn't be worrying about a hurricane thats already killed several people.

Its truly a sad state of affairs

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

It will be interesting to see if anything happens at all whilst everyone is distracted by all of the coverage of this non event, my BS indicator is tingling, i just wonder what is really going on, does that make me mental i wonder lol, who knows, i feel quite ok though.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kostas

After going through Katrina....this storm is a total wimp. Yes, they should prepare for flooding, or go somewhere till the water recedes, then come home and get to work cleaning up. I have been through some of the worst Hurricanes, so I know the drill. A category 3 or 4 is cause for alarm, but not a category 1 borderline tropical storm. The "rescues" you are hearing about are because idiots do stupid things (like the ones who decide to go kayaking in the storm:lol

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
When did you say Scotland was almost hit by a CAT-4 hurricane ?

I must have missed that.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I'm sure the dead people and their loved ones would disagree with your brilliant assessment of how "silly" this is....

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Oh, don't worry dear....you don't appear heartless. You are the epitome of smug and your better-than-thou attitude is pitiful. You really should be ashamed of yourself. The last I heard, 10 PEOPLE are dead and not all of them died of stupidity. Trees falling on homes is no laughing matter.

Here in Saskatchewan, we get -40 and lower temperatures in winter and blizzards. Yes, people still make mistakes and end up dead because of them, but when the media seems to overplay a huge snowfall in the southern states or lower temps in unexpected places, you don't hear us going tsk, tsk...they should have done this or that, because people freeze to death for many reasons...not just their own stupidity. I would hope that more people here on ATS would be breathing a sigh of relief for those who did not get hit as bad as they could have been and say a prayer for those who LOST CHILDREN from falling trees.

It almost sounds to me as if some people actually wanted a big show cake with lots of death & destruction icing on top. MMMMM...YUM! Sickening!

Have a wee bit of empathy ,K? There are people who have loved ones in these areas who are depending on the news coverage. Get over it. DAMN!

edit on 28-8-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

P,S.- You're right....there IS a lesson to be learned here and hopefully you got the moral of the story.
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I hope I didn't sound heartless....not my intention. I'm saying the media is scaring people to death. You should prepare, or leave....but it's not as bad as they are making it out to be. I guess it's all in perspective. Maybe those of us in hurricane country are too jaded about it? I know if we had a mag 4 earthquake here, we would be freaking out, while people in earthquake country would say we were over reacting. So maybe to the people who haven't been through this, it would be scary.....just hope this is all we see this hurricane season.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

edit on 28/8/11 by Niall197 because: sick of this #in website, time for self imposed exclusion

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian

Oh, don't worry dear....you don't appear heartless. You are the epitome of smug and your better-than-thou attitude is pitiful. You really should be ashamed of yourself. The last I heard, 10 PEOPLE are dead and not all of them died of stupidity. Trees falling on homes is no laughing matter.

Here in Saskatchewan, we get -40 and lower temperatures in winter and blizzards. Yes, people still make mistakes and end up dead because of them, but when the media seems to overplay a huge snowfall in the southern states or lower temps in unexpected places, you don't hear us going tsk, tsk...they should have done this or that, because people freeze to death for many reasons...not just their own stupidity. I would hope that more people here on ATS would be breathing a sigh of relief for those who did not get hit as bad as they could have been and say a prayer for those who LOST CHILDREN from falling trees.

It almost sounds to me as if some people actually wanted a big show cake with lots of death & destruction icing on top. MMMMM...YUM! Sickening!

Have a wee bit of empathy ,K? There are people who have loved ones in these areas who are depending on the news coverage. Get over it. DAMN!

P,S.- You're right....there IS a lesson to be learned here and hopefully you got the moral of the story.

How about no? Why should we in the UK give a toss? It's not happening here, and even if it was happening here, we wouldn't be running around like headless chickens like the New Yorkers. We get on with it. Lord knows how you would have coped had the Germans been blitzing your cities night after night after night.

It's not smugness either, when I turn on my tv to watch the news, I want to see news about my country, my continent and then Libya - in that order. I don't care about some silly little storm in the US, but as ever, the UK just has to brown nose up and pretend to be involved. And it makes me sick to my stomach.

So what? 10 people died. Very sad, but again, why should we care? They're not our people, and they probably wouldn't even be able to point out the UK on a map.

Congratulations on your -40c weather, here's a Medal Of Irrelevance. Again, why exactly should we care?

Nobody I know wanted a

big show cake with lots of death & destruction icing on top

but what we did want was proportional news representation equal to the actual event.

Let me give you an example:

When hurricane Katrina hit, I watched the news with deep sympathy and sadness, an entire city and communities wiped out with many thousands lost. I donated money and sent clothes I didn't need to the red cross who were collecting. In that circumstance, such rolling news was quite appropriate and had it not been that way, it would have been a scandal. This storm is absolutely nothing like it, and simply doesn't deserve as much coverage. It's starting to piss people off now.

edit on 28-8-2011 by Swanfilters because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanfilters

They're not our people?????????

Why should we care??????????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c38d57db18a.gif[/atsimg]

100 points for you dear...you have left me speechless.

Oh, wait...I did have one more thing to say on the matter...

CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
reply to post by Swanfilters

They're not our people?????????

Why should we care??????????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c38d57db18a.gif[/atsimg]

100 points for you dear...you have left me speechless.

So let me ask, did you pause for thought at the 40,000 people who died in the 2003 European heatwave? What about the 45 who died during the Kyrill Storms of 2007?

I can safely say you probably didn't even care, so don't you even think about trying to attain the moral high ground here, because you just highlight yourself as the hypocrite you are. And don't call me "dear". Ever.
edit on 28-8-2011 by Swanfilters because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join