It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 out of 10 brits believe in ALIENS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by digihome92
reply to post by King33

Why have you posted the same thing twice?
Sorry computer froze

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by digihome92
reply to post by King33

Why have you posted the same thing twice?
Sorry computer froze

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The 8 out of 10 seems somewhat believable. If my memory serves my correctly, about 10 years ago a similar question was asked to Americans (although I don't know the exact wording of the question), and 67% said they believed in life elsewhere in the universe.
NOTE: I looked, but can't find a source to back up my memory -- I'm going to have to trust my memory here

I'm actually quite shocked it's that low (67%), although if the question was asked today, it may be a bit higher, considering our new knowledge of the the number of exo-planets out there. I think most educated people (and virtually ALL scientists) believe it is almost certain that life exists elsewhere in the universe. That 8 of 10 seems more like what I expect.

I say almost certain, because until that life is contacted, nobody can be 100% sure about it. Personally, I am more than 99% sure intelligent life exists somewhere out there, as are most scientists that I have heard weigh in on the subject, such as NASA astrobiologist Chris McKay.

However, I think in that same poll, the same people were asked if they believe that aliens are visiting the Earth in spaceships, and the number of people who believed that is far less.

I'm one of those people who tend to believe in life elsewhere, but also tend to think that we have no good evidence yet of alien visitation of Earth.

edit on 8/27/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by digihome92

Well count me as one of the 2 in 10 who don't!

I live in Britain and it is a dumbed down place these days - just like Sean of The Dead! Yes very similar!
You know, the universe is a big place! May be - somewhere! But not anywhere near this earth.

Watch out, in the future they intend to manipulate you on this basis!

love Mike.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9
...You know, the universe is a big place! May be - somewhere! But not anywhere near this earth...

It sounds more like you are in the "8 of 10" group, although it sounds like you're not sure.

Yes, the universe is a big place, and that's why I think life most likely exists somewhere in that big universe (but of course I can't be 100% sure of it until we meet/contact those aliens). I'm not a Brit, but if I were, then I would consider myself to be among those 8 of 10.

I also agree with you that the intelligent life does not seem to be "near" the Earth -- i.e., not visiting the Earth.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Why wouldn't 8/10 Brits believe in aliens? They exist
edit on 27-8-2011 by rabzdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
reply to post by foundthetruth

I read the Daily Mail and the Daily Star. So you think you are better than me because of the newspaper you choose to read?
I hope you get slated for that biggoted comment.

Meanwhile , back in reality .....
I believe

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

No I don't think I am better than you as I do not know you, and do not have a guide/chart perhaps unlike yourself to show how one person is better than the other. But for you to take direct offence to a comment made in general negates your point a enforces mine. Not to mention shows an abundance of immaturity in combination with the fact that you hope I get 'slated' for my bigoted (that's how its spelled, typical from someone who reads the Daily Mail) comment. This again reinforces my point, people like you have a limited understanding of words, witch you should probably not use, partly because of the gibberish you choose to read in sensationalist news papers.

So its simple to see you are heavily influenced by facts that are blown out of proportion by the use of sensationalism in news, an now try to use words you have a poor understanding of. Bigoted means a person is intolerant of anyone's opinion other than their own. You would use such a word in a religious debate or politics. To use it as you have in blowing a comment you don't agree with and is of miner important shows how that type of news paper has effected you.

Shall I expect an intelligent rebuttal....or the illiteracy you have previously shown.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If 8 of 10 Brits believe in aliens then I guess they are not so stupid after all.

With all the evidence that has accumulated over the years, including testimony by our own astronauts, anyone who does not believe we have been visited are in my opinion a few shovels short of a load.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Of course 8 out of 10 Brits believe in Aliens and UFO's, they have seen the historical records of Doctor Who and Torchwood.

( I just spent two days watching a Torchwood marathon cus I hadn't seen any yet and it was my "fix" for Dr Who cus Sept cant get here soon enough - and yes, Martha Jones is still HOT. I miss Tosh Hubba Hubba!)

England did release tons of secret UFO documents not long ago to the public, that has to fuel the mass belief.

Let me ask you a question.. Do Major Governments have years of top secret study and investigation of Elves, Trolls, Wood Nymphs, Hobbits, Leprechauns, Dwarves, Faries, Dragons, The Easter Bunny and Santa Clause? (who did I leave out?) No they do not.. Why? because they arent Real. But Major Governments do do years of study and investigation into UFO's and Aliens- almost All of them have such programs. Why do this if they are as fleeting as a child's fairy tale? It's because UFO's and Aliens Are Real. They HAVE to be. Tons of Major Governments aren't all going to jump on this bandwagon with time and millions of dollars in research if there was nothing to it.

That my friends IS the bottom line.

Bravo to the Brits! Your Women are Smoking, Your Entertainment industry is Fab, Your scientists are brilliant (don't know what happened to that Hawkings guy but I will forgive you for that one)
edit on 27-8-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
If 8 of 10 Brits believe in aliens then I guess they are not so stupid after all.

With all the evidence that has accumulated over the years, including testimony by our own astronauts, anyone who does not believe we have been visited are in my opinion a few shovels short of a load.

I suppose I'm a few shovels short. I'm almost positive aliens exist, but I'm not convinced they have ever come to Earth.

...and our own astronauts have never said aliens are visiting earth. The closest thing to that is the time Apollo 11 said they saw an unidentified object, but it is very possible that the object they saw was one of the jettisoned SLA panels reflecting sunlight, or perhaps an S-IVB booster from a previous mission.

The other thing that may be "close" to astronauts saying they had evidence of alien visitation would be Dr. Edgar Mitchell, who is a former Apollo astronaut who believes aliens exist. HOWEVER, he has said on several occasions that his belief in alien visitation has nothing to do with information he gained while being an astronaut. In fact Edgar Mitchell says his belief in alien visitation started when he was growing up, long before he became an astronaut.

...but no, our astronauts have never testified that the learned of evidence that aliens are visiting the earth.

edit on 8/27/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I do believe in Aliens but statistics mean nothing. Every time i see one I ask my self where was I when these wear being taken

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
If that statement was about Americans I'd have believed it but the British? They're so... normal!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
i dont know why more people dont belive in them. it only makes sense

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Let me ask you a question.. Do Major Governments have years of top secret study and investigation of Elves, Trolls, Wood Nymphs, Hobbits, Leprechauns, Dwarves, Faries, Dragons, The Easter Bunny and Santa Clause? (who did I leave out?) No they do not.. Why? because they arent Real.

But Major Governments do do years of study and investigation into UFO's and Aliens- almost All of them have such programs. Why do this if they are as fleeting as a child's fairy tale? It's because UFO's and Aliens Are Real. They HAVE to be. Tons of Major Governments aren't all going to jump on this bandwagon with time and millions of dollars in research if there was nothing to it.

they dont research santa ect... but for some reason we as a species have spent a lot of time studying god/gods and they aint real either.

also, i think governments investigate them not because they beleive they are ETs but because its something flying in their airspace

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
72.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I agree, just a few people in the UK actually believe in UFO's, aliens etc
, The link didn't work so I am just replying to what you said and even I don't believe in UFO's unless I see one and from what you describe it just might be a real UFO... but people would start asking wouldn't NASA see it? they have all the gadgets right? but if they are aliens they have like cloaking devices (got that from star trek)
, Well if it was a UFO I guess the council would be sorry that they haven't prepared for it!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pussycat
I agree, just a few people in the UK actually believe in UFO's, aliens etc
, The link didn't work so I am just replying to what you said and even I don't believe in UFO's unless I see one and from what you describe it just might be a real UFO...

The link didn't work for me, either, but the OPsaid that 8 of 10 Brits believed in Aliens. That's not the same as saying they think UFOs are piloted by aliens.

The question:
"do you believe intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?"

is a separate question than:
"do you believe aliens are visiting the Earth in spaceships?"

From the limited information in the OP about this poll, I think the Brits polled were asked the first question.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pussycat

Someone else posted a link.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yeah true. I am not saying this poll is true either to those who think im with it 100%, im just repeating what i read and also wanting to fing out if anyone has heard of such a poll

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by King33

Sure it did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join