It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

african advancements

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
OK, recently JM and I have been arguing over whether or not Africa or Europe(this is in bold because he kept changing what he said) was more useful to human development. i say africa, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, right?

Thoughts?
HLW

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
More usefull for human development ... Africa? Europe? I say niether. I would suggest the US. Unless I'm not understanding the question right .... You mean something like technologicly or something different?

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Can you please tell me what the hell your talking about?

If you say its about human development then why can't be both? Or the Seycheles Isles off West coast Africa!

Hope this doesn't confuse you all!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
you on the amazing contributions of Africa....

I'll agree that the Egyptians contributed a lot to human development, but they really fall more under the auspices of Arabic, not African... I'd have to say that the ancient arabs contributed the most....the modern ones have simply lost touch....

Ancient arabs (including Egyptians) gave us math, accurate astronomy, the foundations for many religions, science, etc. Much of which was then built on further by the Greeks and Romans (though someone else might claim stolen) who then added better government, laws, military advances, etc.

However, recently, the Americans have made huge impacts in worldwide culture, by being the first to extensively integrate new technologies into everyday life, such as radio, tv, cars, computers, etc.

[Edited on 3-4-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Just look what we got from Europe, the Mid.East, the Indians, and the Asians.

Europe:

Greece: Democracy, Drama, Comedy, Tragedy, Medicine, Mathematics, Astrology, Rhetoric...

Rome: Architecture, stronger democarcy...

Spain: Guns...

Mid. East

Sumerisa:, Language, Written Language, The Wheel, Metalic Weaopns.

Catholocism, Judeism, and Islam.

Asia: Architecture...

Indianas: Medicine, Astrology.

There are more I will post my findings as time goes by. I belive that White (Europe), Indian (American Indians, and the Mayans, and Aztecs), Asian, and Mid.Eastern cilizations were more advanced and contributed more to humanity than the Africans did.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well said chaps!

Africa gave us:

Ebola
Lassa fever
Hanta virus
Coffee
Ladysmith Black mazabo - good music if your drunk!
Mowtown via the slaves! (No offence intended!)

Mugabe - major pain in the ass - needs kicked badly!
Nelson Mandela - great man - heroic and tempermental!
Wilbur Smith - great books, makes you forget about the rest of the #e in the world!

If i think of anything else then my fingers will fly!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Careful Raven, Ill might call ya racist
. And don't forget AIDS and more druggies. Soem more advances by the European civilizations.

Europe:

England helped create America. Plus most European civilizations can control their own country unlike many African nations.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 04:57 AM
link   
To what i said in my last reply:

I apologise now to everyone on this board if i offended you with what i wrote.
I meant no disrespect and i am in no way a racist or anything like that!
I love everyone on this planet and have no-scruples with peace and fun loving people!

So again...Sorry!

Regards

Raven

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Hee, hee. Dont really want to get into an argument over Africa, but I will sneakily take this oppurtunity to present some of what Scotland, with a current population of 4.8million, gave to the world.

Telephone,Television, Penicillin, Radar, The U.S Navy
, Chilean Navy, Refrigerators, Microwave ovens, Fax machines, Tarmac, Pneumatic Tyres, Anaesthetics, Antisepstics, Economics, Hypodermic syringes, Logaritums, Brownian movement, First cloned Mammal, Adhesive Postage Stamps, Geosciences, Engineering sciences, Steam Engines, Iron Bridges, Kelvin scale, Paraffin, Quinine, Breech loading rifles, Sociology, Golf, Whiskey!....and that'll do. There's lots more.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Africa Gave us Coffee. it wins hands down

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Don't forget West Nile Virus! And of course cannabalism was main here for awhile. Then today how many countries here not third world?

Europe has a few third world(is Bosnia and all that third world?). And Asia has some(Nike exploits this) but Africa is the third world king. Why? Why is it Africa has more third world countries than civilized?

Could be uneducated? Or is it the fact they believe if you are 13 and don't have six kids(gave birth to six kids, if they died oh well) then they are unproductive? Or lack of food? With all the animals and land there, one would think they could feed themselves.

Is it Europes fault for the wars they started there and colonies they formed during early 1900's? Or slave trade to blame?

Sure, a African-American made first golf tee, and without them basketball would be nothing, heck, most sports would be nothing.(Except hockey, have to be Russian or Canuk for that) But that here in America. Why aren't they so productive in Africa? Why they have all this time to have sex and make appearances on t.v. to raise food? If they raised their own food and spent time working, maybe wouldn't have so much time to have ids and spread aids.

And isn't it sad that so many have aids they made a aids puppet for sesame(sp?) street? Maybe if given something to do, like make own food instead of of spending billions of dollars and sending food to them, send the seeds and smeone to teach them how to grow their own food. Three problems solved. We stop wasting kmoney, stop wasting food, and the Africans might have to do something so extremly radical as to become independent from foreign(sp?) aid.

Anyways, Waiting for Il, he will come on and tell all the good things that came from Africa. Some has though, but still, two sides to everything, good and bad. Like America has produced pollution to an extreme, has killed millions of Indians, and let's child molestors and rapists go if they wear a certain collar.(I think preists wear those little collar thingamajigs, right?)

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
"let's child molestors and rapists go if they wear a certain collar.(I think preists wear those little collar thingamajigs, right?)"

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'm surprised Ill is'nt here yet. Anyway Europe has had strong civilizations like the Goths, Romans, and Greeks whereas the Africans had a million little tribes who sacrificed females to the god of the goats, and ate the males when it was the sun was blue.( Those are not true happenings or actual rituals). Europe was the basis for all superpowers like the USA and Russia. Like I think it was JTL who said Europe now has one or two third-world nations whereas Africa has a ton.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If we are talking technological advancement, Asia wins hands down. The Chinese were using black powder rifles while the Western Europeans were still swinging edged iron.

Chinese astronomers had most all naked eye visible solar/orbital phenomena mapped out while the Europeans were still crossing themselves whenever something flashed in the sky.

Interesting note: Chinese Astronomers were wonderful note keepers. Their records indicate at least one naked eye visible supernova and at least one lunar impact of an asteroid. (Both of these were observed in the 11th century) We are just getting around to figuring these things out in the past 100 years.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Greece: Democracy, Drama, Comedy, Tragedy, Medicine, Mathematics, Astrology, Rhetoric...

Yea, you need a history book right now. Egyptians were working on medicine, mathematics, astrology, rhetoric, poetry, and philosophy centuries before Greeks ever dare to. Egyptian intelligence began where Greek intelligence peaked at. Ever heard of Imhotep? I think you haven't, He was only the world's first known poet, sage, physicist, doctor, architect, priest, astrologer, scribe, and God knows what else. The Romans Claudius and Tiberius inscribed their praises of Imhotep in the temples in Egypt. Whoever said the Egyptians were arab need to join Jedi in a history lesson to because before the Arab conquest of North Africa all the North African peoples were black, period. The father of Medicine IS Imhotep, not hippcrates who lived 2,000 years later.

Every single one of you is very hypocritical to talk about all these diseases that came out of Africa when it is a known FACT that the Africans did not know of any disease until the white man showed his face on African soil. How about the Black Plague, how many did that one kill. How about the early Americans and how they spread the small pox infection by giving the Indians blankets for the winter, good deed, only that the blankets were infested with small pox.

Africa was the victim of robbery and theft in the hands of the white man ever since the beginning of time.

If we are talking technological advancement, Asia wins hands down. The Chinese were using black powder rifles while the Western Europeans were still swinging edged iron.

Yea, and making gun powder suddenly makes them the winners, hand down. The powder that is used to kill? Right.

The white man has always hated the black man and Africa because when the white man looks at Africa and her history and the people Africa produces the white man sees guilt. He KNOWS he's smarter than him. He KNOWS he's stronger than him. He knows Africa is the land of infinite knowledge. and He KNOWS Africa was robbed naked.

You all need black history. Let me tell you a little something about black history. The black man is the ORIGINAL MAN. He was writing philosophy and working in science and medicine while the white man were living in caves like barbarians over the hills in Europe. Blacks were cannibals? LOL right. And I'm Jesus Christ. Blacks were sacraficing virgins to gods , RIGHT. That's why every single biblical figure is black. That's why Islam, Judaism, and Christianity all have African roots. If Africa is a # hole, why did Greeks and Romans copy their philosophy and their mythology. Why did people of all color and creed flock over to Africa in the thousands. They took pilgrammages to Africa because they knew it was sacared. Without Africa the white man would be exactly what he is, a white man and nothing else.

The white man has no moral right to say what Africa is and Africa isnt. I hope every single one of you pay for what you have said because it was influenced by pure racism and ignorance.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Yea, and making gun powder suddenly makes them the winners, hand down. The powder that is used to kill? Right. Posted by Illmatic67

You pointedly ignored my mention of the great feats of astronomical advancement that the Chinese performed. Also, you are igoring the even longer history of chemistry and mathmatics that went into producing the gunpowder that you so vehemently discount as insignificant.

The Chinese also were the first in history to explore the properties of geomagnetism, and the first to use a magnetic compass for navigation purposes. This little innocuous discovery was later used to help conquor continents.

I certainly do not take anything away from the accomplishments of the great African dynasties, such as the Kingdom of Kush, Kemet, Borno, Mali, and Songhay. All of these were certainly as great as thier European, North and South American, and Asian counterparts.

All such civilizations have much to offer to posterity and history. Many such offerings however in different directions. Great historical advances can be made in the realms of history, culture, science and technological advances. Being a scientist, I tend to gravitate to the science and technological advances, but I remain fully aware of the cultural and historical importance present in other areas.

I mentioned scientific and technological advancement, and on those terms, my pick is perfectly valid: Asia wins, due to a huge amount of advancement in a relatively short span of time.

I also have yet to see a clear and concise link between any of these posts and racism. Just because a particular advance was made in a geographic region other than Africa, doesnt make it a racist advance, and it makes no posters racist for reporting such. However, it does certainly put forth the appearance of you being racists when you spout such nonsense.

I can almost hear you already labeling me racist.... I would remind you that I challenged you in a previous post to identify my ethnicity, and still wonder what it would do to your thought process if I were black?

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Either way you believe we all come from Africa or very near Africa. If you believe in the bible, the Garden of Eden is thought to be southeast of the Tigrus and Euphrates rivers, which would be the present day Persian Gulf. If you believe in evolution, the most common belief is "Out of Africa" in which man (first Hominids) supposedly originated from river Omo in Ethiopia. Oh, thought I'd share this too: in case you haven't heard, scientists have found by way of tracing mitochondria (Mother's DNA) that Africans and Europeans are the closest related peoples.

So in conclusion I would say "Africa" because it was home to ALL people, not just blacks. I can't stand hearing some of these racial comments. This post tells you that we all come from the same place, so stop the racial comments please("White man has always hated blacks..." and "all that we get from Africa is disease") Those are all ignorant posts. And they are going to turn off newcomers like me who want to hear some TRUTH. They are making me sick, lets all just chill.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh, thought I'd share this too: in case you haven't heard, scientists have found by way of tracing mitochondria (Mother's DNA) that Africans and Europeans are the closest related peoples. Posted by Endisnear

I have to agree 100%.

It is well known that the earliest proto-human/hominid emerged around 5 million years ago, and was later called Australopithicus Afarensis, or "Southern Man", and was found in the Afar region of Tanzania. Genetics links this particular find to all humans in the world.

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Hey, dont fight over Asian and African superiority, both continents were raped by the white man. I mean it seems that Asia and Africa do the inventing and Europe does the stealing. We subjugated Asia, Africa and the Americas with our lack of conscience.

Killing, raping pillaging seems to be the method of bussiness in the caucasian world. It really is horrible. And then we adopt the moral high ground and act like there was nothing wrong with what we did.

I am ashamed to be white because we have so little to be proud of. Look at all of the advancements made by all of these other continents, all of the glory. And what do we have? Subjugating all other continents through lies and trickery. We have done nothing for ourself, relying on other people to invent things for us, then killing them for the invention. Buying an island for a handful of baubles when we knew that we we're cheating them. And we call our selves chivalrous, we call ourselve honorable.

Pitiful.

XAOS

<<   2  3  4 >>

join