It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Back in my day!" thread for us old timers...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I went to Manchester airport when i was 5 years old,I believe it was 1980,to wave my Grandmother off on her flight to Canada.
I remember to this day the radio was on in the airport lounge,"and now here is the latest single from Bob Marley,three little birds..."As we waved my Grandmother onto the plane.

Now there is someone who is sorely missed from back in the day.
But not forgotten is his message.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
"Though it's just a memory some memories last forever" - Rush

Huh.

Back in my day it was 8-tracks in the car. I always disliked the 8-track.

There were pay phones everywhere and they only cost a dime. Phones also had cords back in those days.

Music was actually made by people, not computers. Novel concept nowadays.

A computer wouldn't be thought of as a product for use in the home.

One car, max, to a home. If at all. I even have pics from my childhood showing this.

Thirty years ago at this moment my neighborhood would be crawling with kids playing. Not anymore, see above point. Too dangerous to play out in the streets these days.

I grew up listening to baseball games on the radio. A game of the week on Saturday and occasional Dodgers game on the local channel were all we got and it wasn't much.

A person could actually get a job and have a fighting chance of supporting themselves. Not today, it seems.

Pot was still illegal, though. Plus ce change, plus ce la meme chose and all that jazz.

Life seemed easier. Maybe that's just hindsight. Maybe not.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Oh, and drive-in theaters. I really miss those.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Back in my day, dad's favorite phrase was "go cut me a switch!"

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Back in my day cases of beer were still made of wood, I needed to drink to keep the heat on.

Music didn't suck
There was no ATS so i needed to make up my own stories.
A troll was still a creature of lore.
SMS was called morse
Just saying hello to a stranger was being friendly.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
Back in my day, dad's favorite phrase was "go cut me a switch!"

My fathers tag line was "Cool your jets!" and we would all reply "get him a beer."

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoReaper4
Back in my day video games DIDN'T suck.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

You hit the nail here TheLooney:

A person could actually get a job and have a fighting chance of supporting themselves. Not today, it seems.

People all over the so called civilized west are struggling to feed their families from Europe to USA and beyond.
Many are homeless.
Is this Karma for our complicity in the wars of the last decade by not opposing them TPTB?
No it is not-what has actually happened is the governments and banks have stolen everyone's money for bail outs,and are now moaning that they have still screwed everything up so comprehensively that we all have to pay more money in the form of extra taxes for us all.
They want more money.
They are wringing the sponge of juice-we are the juice.
They are stomping the grapes.
we are the grapes.

they are con artists IMO.
edit on 26/8/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Product of the late seventies. I remember my hand-me-down bell-bottoms getting caught in the chain of my bike, and getting hung up for a few minutes while my friends continued on without ya.

Disappearing for the day and regardless of how far from the house I got, I could always hear my mom's whistle (not the referee style, the old-fashioned fingers in the mouth) that it was time for dinner.

Going tobogganing on the giant mountains with all the neighbor kids. Giant mugs of Hot Cocoa! And huge marshmallows! Those mountains are mole-hills now, and the mugs aren't as huge either, lol.

I remember one time using the N-word. Mom heard, and marched my butt down to the sole minority in our town, and had me repeat the word. No whipping necessary. The man put me into perspective with such eloquence, that I cried so hard, cried worse than when the old man used to put me in line.

Lincoln logs! I built the best houses!

Oh my, there was also this cave that was up in the foothills a few miles where I lived. It had cave-paintings in it, it was simply spectacular.

My favorite line from my mother, was one time I had really screwed up, and knew I was in for a nice behind swatting. When she came with the look of business in her eyes, I told her I was going to call the cops on her. She laughed hysterically and said, "Go ahead! It will take them close to an hour til they get here, so you might as well call the coroner while you're at it!" Mom: 1...Me: 0.

And the principal at school had the biggest attitude adjuster that sat on her wall next to her certificates. She was intimidating enough by herself, and that paddle on the wall was always looking like it needed the tiniest of excuses to jump off the wall and into her hands.

God I miss my daily beatings!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Greenback stamps from Piggly Wiggly!
I helped my mom collect those and would go through the catalog to see what we could get.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My pops always told me "Son back in the day, I had to walk 13 miles to school"

I said, Oh, is that why you didn't graduate?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Got the paddle several times in school for the vice-principle, or otherwise known as the "Enforcer".
They don't paddle now,that's child abuse you know.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Back in the day we used to cruise the neighborhood on these.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
My "Goonies"moment-
when I was I kid I found a book written by a doctor who treated people with the black death.
The book was printed in 1721,and was written by John Quincy M.D.
It was all about how doctors treated the plague at the time.

It was in the attic of an old house I stayed in as a kid,and after I copied down the author and year in my diary,I had to give the book to the house owner.
I have wondered how much that book would have been worth today.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Staying up late to listen to Doctor Demento on am radio sponsored by the something biscuit?
Been too long ago.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Uncanny moment here woodwardjnr-
I was just about to post about my chopper.

But I was struggling with the words.

that was the essence of the early 80's friend,before the BMX came in,it was all about the choppers.

I had mirrors on my chopper.
When wheelies where dangerous...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You told the operator you wanted WE-5475 and she would connect you.

The phones had two of those big 1.5v screw terminal batteries somewhere in the house (ours was in the basement).

Our AC was an attic fan.

Everyone carried around flip boxes of 45rpm records with their music.

Cars had fins and big motors.

You drove on vacations.

Gas stations had two or three guys to pump gas, check everything, wash windows and give you a plate or glass to thank you for stopping by.

If you had a credit card it was a gasoline card.

You could take a gun to school to show it off or if you were going hunting later.

Drug stores had soda fountain.

You could sign drug register at drug store and get Cheracol with Codeine.

You could buy chemicals over the counter to make fuel for model rockets or homemade fire crackers.

You could buy dynamite at the feed store or hardware store.

You had a choice of Huntley-Brinkley, Walter Cronkite and a few others.

The original Mickey Mouse Club.

Gunsmoke, The Roy Rogers Show and many others.

Cigarettes used and advertised on TV.

Mom used an 8mm silent movie camera to record everything.

We got our first color TV in 1967.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Back in MY day....

We ate bologna and cheese sandwich's ALL THE TIME with Doritos and pickles to top it off!

We played outside and made forts.

We played outside until we were MADE to come in at dinner time.

Back in MY day......

We all (20 of us or more) congregated at my Grandmother's (still do) and ate AT the dinner table like Kings and Queens and discussed everything under the Sun.

We were spanked with switch's!!

We drank out of the water hose if we were thirsty.

We played at the barn where we were NOT allowed to go!!

We read dirty joke books, played truth or dare, and watched movies like Faces of Death!

We took eggs, bread, and Milk to the elderly and we often visited the sick at the hospital to help out.

We learned about Jesus by not going to church but by talking about the scriptures and what they meant to us.

Women learned how to cook while the boys learned how to work in the field (as well as the girls sadly).

We rode 4-wheelers to the store to buy cigs for the parents.

We listen to the older group play their instruments in the kitchen (its BIG) and sing songs of the "times". (really cool stuff that was!!)

We learned how to love one another unconditionally!!!!

I loved my growing up days and although there was pain and confusion at times....I loved it and will always appreciate growing up with cousins, Aunts, friends, and the like!

Im 38!!

Peace and love to you all!!!!! xoxoxo

Jenn

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I loved Monty Python!
And also back when Saturday Night Live was good with the original cast.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join