It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irene Live Webcam Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Click this link for a live webcam at a marina in Cape Hatteras, NC- a town right on the point of first contact:

www.hatteraslanding.com...

Looks like things are calm for the moment, but that soon will probably change if Irene goes where they say it's going. Looks like they have some of those boats tied back pretty good....

....some....

For a list of webcams tracking Irene, see this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks goochball!

edit on Fri Aug 26th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
pretty intense so far

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
yea looks so dead calm for noww

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Flags are waving a bit, and the boats are starting to sway some....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
yea looks so dead calm for noww

The classic "calm before the storm?"

The very outer clouds of Irene look like they are just starting to engage near Hatteras in the satellite pics.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Definitely the calm before the storm. When is it supposed to make landfall?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
lol...Nice thread, but you can't just post one cam. That site will get overloaded when tshtf.

Here are a bunch more, should help spread out the traffic.

**This list was compiled by beamin1 on another website. Credit goes to him, i'm just sharing**

Bogue Inlet pier camera
www.bogueinletpier.com...
This one rocks, you can actually control it for 2 minutes! Webcam Southport, North Carolina, USA www.stateportpilot.com...
Kill devil hills
www.twiddy.com...
This is another one you can control for up to 2 minutes@north myrtle in sc www.northmyrtlebeachchamber.com...
Ocean Isle Beach surf camera
www.saltyssurfshopoib.com... Holden Beach Camera www.earthcam.com...
Here's one from the top of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
www.outerbanks.net...
Cape Fear Com Col
www.instacam.com...
Rodanthe NC
www.instacam.com...
Emerald Isle pier camera
www.eilivesurf.com...
Topsail Island Pier
www.surfchex.com...
Kure Beach camera
www.surfchex.com...
Atlantic Beach circle camera
www.sobx.us...
Indian Beach webcam-image updated every 5 mins
www.indianbeach.org...
Ocracoke live camera
www.ocracoke.com...
Outer banks pier
www.obxcams.com...
Oregon inlet
www.obxcams.com...
Hatteras landing marina
www.hatteraslanding.com...
Blockade-runner@Wrightsville beach
blockade-runner.com...
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse ocean view live camera
www.surfline.com...

edit on 8/26/2011 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Or you can just watch it on Wundermap

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

I may have seen that same list- I just didn't want to post it verbatim, but ok...

Irene doom in all its glory. Doomcam city. Right.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
Or you can just watch it on Wundermap

Great link. New one on me.

Y'all check it out if you haven't.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Was just there last week
Hope this one spares Hatteras, which gets beat up quite regularly, a direct hit. Also, that webcam will more than likely go down...all their wires are above ground and connection there is spotty on a sunny day.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Also, that webcam will more than likely go down...all their wires are above ground and connection there is spotty on a sunny day.

Which is why I edited the OP and put a link to goochball's post with a list of cams. As Irene takes them out 1 by 1, go right down the list to the next one.

And Wundermap is great yeah, been using it for over a year...
edit on Fri Aug 26th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Hey, check out this Kill Devil Hills webcam... there's two dumbasses currently setting up camera equipment right on the beach next to the boardwalk/pier right now as I'm typing this.

I don't think these two guys are the sharpest knives in the drawer, if you know what I mean.

Edited to update:
Now it looks like about 4 or 5 guys setting up video equip. I think it's a group of university students or something, they don't look like a professional crew because they're all dressed in surfer shorts and t-shirts. Are they actually planning on standing right on the beachfront to videotape the hurricane ?!

edit on 26-8-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Hey, check out this Kill Devil Hills webcam... there's two dumbasses currently setting up camera equipment right on the beach next to the boardwalk/pier right now as I'm typing this.

I don't think these two guys are the sharpest knives in the drawer, if you know what I mean.

Edited to update:
Now it looks like about 4 or 5 guys setting up video equip. I think it's a group of university students or something, they don't look like a professional crew because they're all dressed in surfer shorts and t-shirts. Are they actually planning on standing right on the beachfront to videotape the hurricane ?!

edit on 26-8-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

Nice! We may get to see Darwinism in real time!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
North Carolina live cams

www.opentopia.com...

sorrry about the link, click the North Carolina tab for more views
edit on 26-8-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Well I don't feel my ability for searching for webcams rising,
Can anyone find or already have any webcam sites
for New Jersey. I have a friend up there and I'm already
trying not to worry but still I can't just sit here and stay silent
till it hits Y.Y

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

I don't know how to embeb a live cam.

But in Maryland there is mandatory evac of the Eastern Shore. The only way to get off the panhandle without driving over the penninsula is the Chesapeake bay bridge, which is now a permenant parking lot.

So if you want to feel better about your day, your not stuck on a 2.5 mile long bridge....

Select the drop down for route 50 at sandy point.

www.baybridge.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I like to read this guys stuff on the side of severe weather at the wuder site
he's quite thorough -
worth checking out for sure.
www.wunderground.com...

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog Posted by: JeffMasters, 3:14 PM GMT on August 26, 2011 +14 Satellite data and measurements from the Hurricane Hunters show that Irene is weakening. A 9:21 am EDT center fix by an Air Force Reserve aircraft found that Irene's eyewall had collapsed, and the central pressure had risen to 946 mb from a low of 942 mb this morning.

The highest winds measured at their flight level of 10,000 feet were 125 mph, which would normally support classifying Irene as a Category 3 hurricane with 115 mph winds. However, these winds were not mixing down to the surface in the way we typically see with hurricanes, and the strongest surface winds seen by the aircraft with their SFMR instrument were just 90 mph in the storm's northeast eyewall. Assuming the aircraft missed sampling the strongest winds of the hurricane, it's a good guess that Irene is a mid-strength Category 2 hurricane with 100 mph winds.

Satellite imagery shows a distinctly lopsided appearance to Irene's cloud pattern, with not much heavy thunderstorm activity on the southwest side. This is due to moderate wind shear of 10 - 20 knots due to upper-level winds out of the southwest. This shear is disrupting Irene's circulation and has cut off upper-level outflow along the south side of the hurricane. No eye is visible in satellite loops, but the storm's size is certainly impressive. Long range radar out of Wlimington, North Carolina, shows that the outermost spiral bands from Irene are now beginning to come ashore along the South Carolina/North Carolina border. Winds at buoy 41004 100 miles offshore from Charleston, SC increased to 36 mph as of 10 am, with significant wave heights of 18 feet.

Figure 1. Distribution of Irene's wind field at 9:30 am EDT Friday August 26, 2011, as observed by the Hurricane Hunters and buoys. The right front quadrant of the hurricane had about 90% of the storm's hurricane-force winds (yellow and warmer colors, bounded by the heavy black line between the "50" and "60" knot thin black lines.) Tropical storm-force winds (heavy black like bounding the light blue area) extended out 290 miles from the center of Irene. Image credit: NOAA/AOML/HRD.

Forecast and storm surge potential for Irene With its eyewall collapsed and just 24 more hours over water before landfall, it is unlikely Irene will have time to build a new eyewall and intensify. The storm is too large to weaken quickly, and the best forecast is that Irene will be a Category 2 hurricane at landfall in North Carolina on Saturday, and a rapidly weakening Category 1 hurricane at its second landfall in New England on Sunday. However, since Irene is such a huge storm--tropical storm force winds extend out up to 290 miles from the center--it has set a massive amount of the ocean's surface in motion, which will cause a much larger storm surge than the winds would suggest.

There is lots more to read at the link.

edit on 26-8-2011 by spinkyboo because: adding and trying to get rid of the extra off iste conent thingy.

edit on 26-8-2011 by spinkyboo because: stuff

edit on 26/8/2011 by ArMaP because: removed "extra offsite content thingy"

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Excellent update, she seems to
be weakening and lets hope
there will be nothing to worry
about as it progresses up the
east coast.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This place is evacuating

Bulletin Number: 8 Date/Time: 8/26/2011 5:19:21 PM Dare County Urges Everyone to Evacuate Immediately The window of opportunity for evacuation is rapidly closing. Dare County Emergency Management strongly warns everyone to take advantage of the remaining hours of daylight and evacuate immediately. Gale force winds will enter our area throughout the evening and by Saturday morning Dare County will experience hurricane force winds with serious potential to cause structural damage, power outages, flooding, and impassable roads throughout all of Dare County. Those who do not evacuate should expect consequences. Be prepared to sustain your household for at least 72 hours. There could also be extreme hazards and a major disruption of all services for a prolonged period of time. During the high winds expected during this storm, emergency personnel will not be able to respond to calls for help. Dare County evacuees are advised to use Highway 64 West through Manns Harbor because roads to the north may be extremely congested due to the evacuation of low-lying areas in Norfolk, Virginia. There are no emergency shelters in Dare County. However, the State of North Carolina has opened 2 shelters for Dare County evacuees –

www.darenc.com...

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 26/8/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join