It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking when the power goes out…Dutch oven recipes for Casseroles, Soups, Stews and Dumplings…

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I'm still hungry!!

After watching these videos, I realized that I definitely need a different dutch oven. I need a cam[ style with legs and the recessed lid If I'm ever going to cook like this.

I also realized how easy it really is. You don't even need an open fire just a charcoal chimney starter and a safe place to set up.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Lucky for me I live near this place www.lehmans.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Another useful PSA from DaddyBare.

If things keep going south you're saving lives.

Thanks for the recipes!

To everyone else; when it comes to bush cooking, practice makes perfect. Now go find some tinder it's fun!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Hey Daddybare,

This might be a silly question, but how do we know a cast iron skillet/oven is really cast iron? I have seen plenty of them around, but I am always skeptical of buying one at a flea market or garage sale, because I don't know if there are other versions that are just as heavy, but might be a lower quality or have harmful stuff mixed into a cheap metal blend.

Are there some markings or identifiers to be sure I am getting a good cast iron?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Hey Daddybare,

This might be a silly question, but how do we know a cast iron skillet/oven is really cast iron? I have seen plenty of them around, but I am always skeptical of buying one at a flea market or garage sale, because I don't know if there are other versions that are just as heavy, but might be a lower quality or have harmful stuff mixed into a cheap metal blend.

Are there some markings or identifiers to be sure I am getting a good cast iron?

Cast Iron has a unique look and feel to it... once you see it compared next to steel... you'll know and understand the difference ay a glance... you are right about having to be careful with some imports and cheap knock-offs... poor casting might lead to cracks and splits... if you can walk into a real cheif's supply store... they will have the good one's.... at a 300% markup... but you can see what the good ones look like... then find a cheaper source elsewhere...

Once upon a time... when I was trying my hand at truck driving I ran down to Old Mexico to pick up a load of rebar and bring it back... as soon as I hit the border all these sirens and flashing lights came on... that rebar was just radioactive enough to trigger all the sensors they have there... they made me abandon trailer and load... only after a call from an angry lawyer would they let me have my truck back... after they did a through decontamination... Ya kever know what esle is mixed in with imported Iron... not until an angry man with a gun is ording you to get the hell out of the truck and put your hands over your head...

Yeah your better off buying form a reputable sporting goods store... makes it easier to return if your not happy with it...
edit on 27-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Not a silly question at all I don't think, it's a good one. DaddyBare is right when he says that you do have to watch out. Aside from cast iron cookware that I have inherited from family members, there is one "go to" company of cast iron cookware that I have always had good luck with called Lodge Cast Iron. It is an American company and they have been around for a very very long time. I've seen their items in Walmart as well as Gander Mountain stores and they have factory outlet stores as well which is where I usually get mine from along with a mail order catalog. They have a line of 'pre-seasoned' ready to use products which is all well and good, but I prefer to get the unseasoned items and season them myself since it is a relatively easy process.

Here is the link to Lodge Cast Iron: Lodge Cast Iron

I hope this was a little helpful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join