It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SuperVPN service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Okay... So I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone here..

I've been searching around for a few VPN's to assist with further tin-foil hat adventures.. And I stumbled across a few good sources.. but my friend recommended SuperVPN (SuperVPN.com) and the definite bonus is it offers a free L2TP tunnel if you review the site on a forum (wink wink)..

SO.. I have yet to test the service provided, but my friend that recommended it said it's worth it (he's got one of the pay monthly SuperVPN plans) Anyways, his connection speed is great, and given the specifications of the FreeVPN option, I'm thinking that this will definitely trump any free alternatives considering there's no bandwidth cap and gives you the 128 bit encryption.

*cue cheesy infomercial soundtrack*

For real though, I know a lot of you guys are like me and a bit paranoid when it comes to browsing the interwebs.. So figured I'd throw this option out there while grabbing myself a free account in the meant time >

Lates

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
somehow i think this is against the T&C rules here on ATS.

if not, kewl!

I wonder if posting here will get you the account??

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Yeah, I think it might infringe upon sub-section 15e.) of the ATS T&C. But hey... no mod, no foul!

Anyways, these kinds of services are great for protecting your traffic from most people. Then again, stop and think: who are you trying to hide from? If you answered, "The Gubmint", then you may as well not slow your connection down with that VPN because that won't protect you much from the big boys. Works great for hiding you from most of the online community though. I think I'd feel a little better with something other than 128bit L2TP... maybe 256bit IPsec. I'm sure that costs extra

Just keep in mind that it isnt a VPN Invisibility Cloak. You can still be seen... by those with the eyes to see.
Heh!

edit on 24-8-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

For extra credit, read up on "dark nets". Pretty cool stuff, but might be a tough read if you aren't technically inclined. They can be used for various things, like threat detection on your enterprise LAN, but they can also be used to hide/annonymize traffic.
edit on 24-8-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
For a free account, it says you need to link to it (assuming you mean SuperVPN.net, not .com)

Thanks for posting this, I thought a few times about posting here to see what people would recommend as a VPN service.

Im actually checking out the $10/month plan which has 2048 bit encryption and can get it discounted to $120 for a 2 year period. This one isn't for mobile devices though

Concurring with DamaSan it's probably not really for avoiding the government, although it claims to provide 'military grade encryption'. It's best used to acces sites that are unavailable in your region and supposedly if you do things with credit cards online etc.
edit on 25/8/2011 by BombDefined because: Damn, just saw it doesn't support MAc OS Lion

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Never did get the free account for lack of the link to their site lol, but good information regardless.

I agree though, not the best if you're seriously trying to hide your ass, but I'd use it in conjunction with Tor:

Me -> VPN (encrypted data) -> Tor (relay, encrypted) -> Tor (exit, decrypted :\) -> interwebz.

The benefit is you're pretty much solid as far as concealing your source, but the information shows up plaintext at the exit node

I'm gonna check out those dark nets tho, thx for the tip!

lates

new topics

top topics

join