It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Year Old Uses Techniques From Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training Camp To Stop Bully

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

How was that side-stepping the question? There is a difference between children at school throwing water bottles, and armed robbers. As well as the punishment for either.I don't know what your logic of thinking is. I'm being bullied right now for contributing to the thread.You gonna come beat me up now?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

In this case, at least, I disagree on two counts. It wasn't actual violence (just controlling the situation), and a proportionate & measured response can be highly effective - as proven here from the article:

The bully sought out Martin at lunch and apologized in front of other kids.

My humble opinion.

PS - I am also a believer in non-violent resistance. Take care.
edit on 8/24/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
hi op
i think all of us at one point or another, have been bullied
from simple backstabbing and name callings to full on kick in the ghoulies
for me i was into guns n roses and nervana (early 90s)
i had slightly long hair with an undercut
this bully would grab me always by the hair put me on the ground and walk off laughing
i got my own back
i shaved my head, and wen the bastardo had a go at me, he had no moves
i know this sounds corny but
i was a karate kid fan then lol and i copied the film and blocked him
then twisted his arm till he cried like a baby in front of many kids
he never botherd me again

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
How did Martin use violence?

He restrained the bully and prevented violence.

The effect on the bully (in regards to the public apology) is just a byproduct of a situation handled correctly.

Why correctly? It corrected the behavior with no harm caused to either parties.

My take on this, is that both of these boys will become better men from this.

link   
reply to post by josh2009s

Speaking from personal experience - this is ineffective, more often than not.

Sad, but true.

link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Originally posted by josh2009s
Did I go to school? Are you serious? If you truly are, then, yes. I don't recall but a few incidences where classmates were being bullied. And, if it did happen, it didn't happen for long because where I grew up, the children have enough common sense to tell a teacher what is going on.

I think you lack the life experience to comment on this thread then. You might have grown up in a private school or whatever but this attitude fails to pass the mustard test in the rest of our country.

I forgot to mention I was the one that was being bullied. That being said, I am also the same kid with common sense.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Death_Kron

Did I go to school? Are you serious? If you truly are, then, yes. I don't recall but a few incidences where classmates were being bullied. And, if it did happen, it didn't happen for long because where I grew up, the children have enough common sense to tell a teacher what is going on.

From your limited personal experiences I'm not convinced your really qualified to reply to this thread, I wish I went to your school when I was younger...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Sadly, the "bully" is more than likely a meaner person as a result of this. As if he didn't have enough issues, he went on the receiving end of the humiliation for once. How would that make him feel? Happy? Sad? Angry? Nine times out of ten: Angry.
edit on 24-8-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

How was that side-stepping the question? There is a difference between children at school throwing water bottles, and armed robbers. As well as the punishment for either.I don't know what your logic of thinking is. I'm being bullied right now for contributing to the thread.You gonna come beat me up now?

That is a terrific display of circular logic. I suppose I can use the same excuse you gave not more than a few posts back. This is in the Social Issues and Civil Unrest forum. You see, YOU took this from being an issue about school bullying to being an issue about how people should or should not respond to violence when you stated that violence cannot be solved by violence. In the same breath equating self-defense to violence. A poster then asked you if that applied to when a home invader confronts you - do you try running to the police or defend yourself? Having been caught in lack of logic you then tried to take the discussion back to the school yard - where again - your logic still does not work. It may have worked for you but as I said it just shows a lack of experience and awareness on your part.
edit on 8/24/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

reply to post by peck420

Sadly, the "bully" is more than likely a meaner person as a result of this. As if he didn't have enough issues, he went on the receiving end of the humiliation? How would that make him feel? Happy? Sad? Angry? Nine times out of ten: Angry.

Thats not the kids fault.
The kid was in the right here
I do not condone violence, but this was not violence, If he brings a gun to school, its on him. But stop derailing the thread please. This is about the situation that has happened.

link   

What's the kid gonna do when the bully brings a gun to schools and slaughters him and many others?

The only solution is to arm all students isn't it?

link   

reply to post by peck420

Sadly, the "bully" is more than likely a meaner person as a result of this. As if he didn't have enough issues, he went on the receiving end of the humiliation? How would that make him feel? Happy? Sad? Angry? Nine times out of ten: Angry.

Meaner because he couldn't intimidate his victim?

Meaner because someone actually stood up to him and disgraced his "honour"?

And you were the one bullied at school?
edit on 24/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Sadly, the "bully" is more than likely a meaner person as a result of this. As if he didn't have enough issues, he went on the receiving end of the humiliation for once. How would that make him feel? Happy? Sad? Angry? Nine times out of ten: Angry.

Are you seriously going to justify bullying because to defeat bullying would injure the self-esteem of the bully? I can't respond to you anymore. You are a walking psychology textbook.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
I have been on the recieving end of bullying, and trust me. The faculty is useless in my eyes. They do nothing. I was bullied relentlessly by so many people, no matter how many times me and my parents went to the faculty. It never ever stopped. I was at the point of ending my own life(i was 13 or 14 at the time), and my parents had no choice but to move, for my well being.

I thank them for it all the time, i dont regret what happened anymore, as i am who i am today because of that. But if i had my time back i wish i had reacted like this kid did, and saved myself the emotional distressed that screwed my mind up for the years that followed.

I am no longer that boy, i am no long tramatized by it. But good on the boy, the faculties are usless in this regard because they have NO control over what happens outside the school walls. Nor in them. Because it usually will keep happening.

If the faculty did their job, we wouldnt be hearing about bullies at all. Kids wouldn't be killing themselves because there would be no bullies.

No one dare bully me now (an adult), and anyone who tries is getting teeth knocked out. I am no longer afraid.
edit on 24/8/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

Bring to second page, as it was probably missed.
As a victim i can say, i have sympathy for bullies, as they themselves are the creations of people who bullied them as children.
And to be honest. I get a rush when i see someone standing up to a bully, because I never did. And i wish i had.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I am trying to find a slight amount of your post that makes sense, and none of it does. You are throwing out words assuming that you are correct when, indeed, there is no correlation. Post something something factual and non make-believe and we continue this debate.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

reply to post by ararisq

I am trying to find a slight amount of your post that makes sense, and none of it does. You are throwing out words assuming that you are correct when, indeed, there is no correlation. Post something something factual and non make-believe and we continue this debate.

Well, from a neutral standpoint watching this thread unfold, I must disagree with you.

Your logic is beyond flawed, your inexperience of social issues and life is beyond glaringly obvious, and the next logical step from your end of the debate is to pull either a strawman or a logical fallacy, which I must say, you did not dissapoint

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I'll try to outline this for you so you can understand:

1) Your premise is that a person young or old should never defend themselves because violence cannot be solved with more violence.

2) You suggest by that statement that self-defense is violence and to be avoided.

3) Multiple people are telling you that this did not work in practice for them and does not work depending on where you live and what school system you go to.

4) You ignore all other evidence and repeatedly state that your textbook based assertion is right and everyone else's real-life experience is wrong.

Do you understand now? You are wrong. Accept it and move on.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Are you seriously going to justify bullying because to defeat bullying would injure the self-esteem of the bully? I can't respond to you anymore. You are a walking psychology textbook.

No, I am not trying to justify bullying. Refer to the main argument. Violence vs. Violence. My stance was that the victim should have told a teacher. That was merely me bringing my views into the thread. As for the name-calling. I can clearly see what your views are as of now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm proud of the young man who defended himself! He has a very understanding principal as well, all in all a very lucky young man.

As for going to the teacher or to the principal when there is an issue in class 9 times out of 10 nothing g is resolved. During the first week of school my 12 yr old 7th grader was "keyed" across the face in class. Bad enough to draw blood and have it drip down and stain the collar of his shirt. My son thought he was doing the right thing to stay out of trouble, went and showed his teacher the 4 and a 1/2 inch bloody gash running the length of his face (below the eye to his mouth) His teacher sent him to the bathroom to clean up, then continue with class for the next hour. When my son came home I took him to the principal and he said he would sort it out and that I didn't need to file a police report for assault. Long story short. NOTHING CAME OF IT. Other than my son has a scar on his face and the other boy was told to keep his keys in his locker. Next time I'm filing a police report and my son now knows that it someone lays their hands on him in a violent manner he has every right to stand up for himself since the school obviously wont.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

No, I am not trying to justify bullying. Refer to the main argument. Violence vs. Violence. My stance was that the victim should have told a teacher. That was merely me bringing my views into the thread. As for the name-calling. I can clearly see what your views are as of now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Should he have told a teacher before he got another crack in the face or after?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join