It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roman port found at Caerleon on banks of River Usk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Roman port found at Caerleon on banks of River Usk

Archaeologists say the discovery of a 2,000-year-old port sheds new light on Wales' role in the Roman Empire.
A team from Cardiff University discovered the harbour outside the Roman fortress at Caerleon (Isca) during ongoing excavation work.

The remains are said to be well preserved and include the main quay wall, landing stages and wharves.
Source

The port from AD74, one of the largest unearthed and the second of Roman origin found in Britain. Constructed for the final conquest of the remaining Celtic tribes. Remains being unearthed from buildings to coins and pottery. To offer even more detail into the history of the area, espcially that of the Celtic people.

Second Source added for images/graphics, more information.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Still so much to learn about past civilizations.

Funny how the more we discover, the more questions arise.

If those computer-generated images are anywhere near accurate, then that was one impressive site. Also, that Governor Julius Frontinus who saw to its construction sounds like he was one serious heavy-hitter in Roman society.

Fascinating!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Cheers for sharing this

I live relatively close to Caerleon and happily, often get the opportunity to visit, as my father-in-law lives there.

It's already a fascinating village, with a visibly rich link to the past. So it's even more exciting when hidden gems like this are revealed.

edit on 24/8/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

I know! and can't get enough of the new insight on lost civilizations. This year, so far there's been so good stuff presented. Celtic tribes must have really put them up for a challenge to advance a port as such, of so is expressed in some research.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

Thanks for sharing that info! If ya get a chance share some pictures/info, sure they;ll have more stuff shown and probably for display soon.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I thought it worth pointing out that "Caerleon" is Welsh for "Fortress of the Legion", a reference to the Roman Occupation.

This is a great discovery. Most known Roman ports in Britain have no visible traces, having been either torn up and rebuilt over the centuries, or buried beneath layer after layer of urban development. They would have to have built this place pretty quickly, too, I'd have thought, which is all the more impressive, given the size of the place.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

LAST TIME WALES HAD CIVILISATION?
- hatchet, Newcastle, Australia, 25/8/2011 02:05

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Ah, comment sections. Is there no greater forum?

top topics

join