It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there is a threat one day we would learn that a meteor is earth bound; wwhat could be done?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
There is a way we could prepare for such that cost would be minimaland that is of accurate mirroring sun rays by as many people as possible and to means of this woulld be perhaps establishing them atop of laptop covers and with a censor that establishes aim and maybe three legs on the bottom affixed toggether with automated ball joint( I'm just throwing that out there) and in terms of if we establish amount of sun reflections needed in melting roch of sortes and the surface and compare those figuers with potentials of reflections. I could not and won't research those aspects but if there exists ever such an imenent threat one day and we are not above it. That would be a shame.
edit on 24-8-2011 by MichelJCardin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MichelJCardin

Whaaaa????

Could you maybe elaborate a bit more?

Your paragraph didn't make much sense...sorry but i think other would agree.

I know there is a REAL threat heading our way in 2026.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I don't expect too many responses on this one, its pretty hard to follow.

If a large enough comet to effect global climate patterns was to be inbound for a headshot on earth then there would be almost nothing to do about it. Your best bet would be finding the date and time most probable for impact, grab some chips and crack a beer (or soda), throw a chair in the lawn, then watch the show. If your lucky enough you'll probably die with impact rather than suffering of starvation, dehydration, lack of clean air, etc. If you are a survivor then this is the time to start handling the situation. Hopefully you'll have stocked up on emergency supplies and non-perishable foods. In this situation be calm yet cautious, it will help in proper decision making. Just find a way to survive. Ideally, the economy wouldn't collapse because people should continue life as usual, huge losses or not. This will probably not be the case though.

Basically, prepare for survival now because there is no way we'll be able to prevent impact, we'll just have to survive it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

Oh really? Well that would give ample time to heat it up and depending on it's composites would determine the reaction and I believe that it is very cold there; right ? That also be factor but we do now have fibreoptics and could use that to align a concentrated ray that should be of no limit of size and I would think that the way to feed each optic would be to reflect sunlight in each with it's own magnifying lens and that in itself is what? Depending on the size of the lens ; many sunlights each.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I do not think that anything could be done because if it was suppose to happen we should not try to modify what should happen in the present because it could cause wreckage in the future. Everything that happens has it's own reason. The more we understand that good and bad are over there as an equilibrium and normal process of life, the more we have a mind free of the many fears it can contain.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Renew your faith in your gods and pray that the rest of them feel generous enough to help after this millennium of oppression.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I would think that in the event of a meteor impact the simplest solution is to send a space craft to the incoming object, land on it,strap the ship down to the rock body and use the thruster rockets to change the course of the incoming asteroid. Might take a couple of ships, but from what I understand of space and movement in space, it really shouldn't take to much effort to change the dirrection of space rocks,unless they are a mile or more wide.

Just how I would approach it.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MichelJCardin

OP, are you discussing the use of as many peoples laptop fibroptics to make a beam once combined to concentrate on one locatioon the incomming? AIM the fiberoptics to use SUN rays as beam? Your trying to help

edit on 8/26/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
It's okay, we will just send five out of work actors up there with Steve Busemi and a drill.

We will lose Ben Affleck in the process, but that's almost a bonus if you've seen Gigli. If only we could have him swap places with Kevin Smith instead.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Like pyramids w/ fiber capstones or crystal/metallic capstones in array, aimed?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If an object was on a collision course with Earth we would never now, that is classified information and will never be released to the public, sadly enough.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Very sad.... such a slave I am to some
in 2011, things never change

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Celestica
If an object was on a collision course with Earth we would never now, that is classified information and will never be released to the public, sadly enough.

maybe not by the USA but I doubt the world at large would be able to keep such a secret.

But then, maybe it is already coming....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

Originally posted by Celestica

maybe not by the USA but I doubt the world at large would be able to keep such a secret.

But then, maybe it is already coming....

That's true, I didn't take the Russians into account, they think the world is ending every other day

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Celestica

I wonder if the russians were to come out and say something was headed our way,
would we believe them?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I think that ultimately the course of action required to deflect an incoming small solar body will be determined by the composition of the body itself. The objects are so varied in size, density, composition and cohesion that to my knowledge we have not yet found one preferred method for handling them all.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Bodies in space rotate and smaller bodies can rotate very fast, in hours, so strapping something on a body in space will do nothing. The mass and inertia even what some call small bodies are beyond our entire nuclear armament to effect, yes the entire world nuclear armament. Abrupt force will yield nothing.

I've seen some episodes on space exploration that have suggested various solar concentrators/reflectors could be used in such a way to change the temperature of the body to over time have the body veer off it's trajectory slightly. They suggested it could be managed in such a way to as to provide a slingshot effect we use to speed up spacecrafts with planet flybys.

I can't go into much detail about the dynamics involved, it was quite sometime ago, on in the background while I was working. But realistically, mankind would have to harness, concentrate, and focus the greatest power source available to us to have any hope, and that power source is the sun.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
If we even saw it, which is very doubtful, there really is nothing we could do about it. We just retired our last spacecraft and they could not escape earth orbit anyway. Ballistic missiles don't escape earth orbit either. If we had years and the threat was undeniable maybe something could be done but probably not. The only real option we would have is to try and insure as many people on earth survived as possible.

top topics

join