It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Military Television Accidentally Reveals Cyber Attack On U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

www.theepochtimes.com< br />

A standard, even boring, piece of Chinese military propaganda screened in mid-July included what must have been an unintended but nevertheless damaging revelation: shots from a computer screen showing a Chinese military university is engaged in cyberwarfare against entities in the United States.

The documentary itself was otherwise meant as praise to the wisdom and judgment of Chinese military strategists, and a typical condemnation of the United States as an implacable aggressor in the cyber-realm. But the fleeting shots of an apparent China-based cyber-attack somehow made their way into t
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
tech.slashdot.org
henrypatrick1736.wordpress.com

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think that this revelation is interesting, considering that Joe Biden has just returned from his 'Good Will' trip to China.

So much for 'Good Will'...

Please read the accompanying links and articles. It is clear that there is not much Good Will coming from China.

I nearly placed this article in the WW3 forum as it is becoming increasingly clear to me that the battlefield on which WW3 will be fought (and is possibly being fought right now) is in cyberspace.

www.theepochtimes.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Big deal.

America and Britain and Europe are doing the same... they operate under the name Anon and Lulzsec.

Same thing different name.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Big deal. America and Britain and Europe are doing the same... they operate under the name Anon and Lulzsec. Same thing different name.

shots from a computer screen showing a Chinese military university is engaged in cyberwarfare against entities in the United States.
www.theepochtimes.com...

I don't think it is the same thing at all. The Chinese situation is a state sponsored military project. Not the same as LulzSec or Anon at all.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
for those of us who dont have time to read the nitty gritty, what exactly is this alleged 'cyber attack' comprised of, for example?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

Big deal. America and Britain and Europe are doing the same... they operate under the name Anon and Lulzsec. Same thing different name.

shots from a computer screen showing a Chinese military university is engaged in cyberwarfare against entities in the United States.
www.theepochtimes.com...

I don't think it is the same thing at all. The Chinese situation is a state sponsored military project. Not the same as LulzSec or Anon at all.

I dont care what excuses they have, they are attacking the people.

That is enough for me to sign on the dotted line to get more control of the interent

You too will sign it, once your bank account has been stolen from like mine was. The only reason so far is, the "it hasnt happened to me" mentality. It will, eventually.

Bite me.

edit on 23-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

www.theepochtimes.com...

No,she is right-anon & lulsec probably are state controlled,whether the dumb kids joining in who think they are anon/lulsec know this is another matter!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

www.theepochtimes.com...

No,she is right-anon & lulsec probably are state controlled,whether the dumb kids joining in who think they are anon/lulsec know this is another matter!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I nearly placed this article in the WW3 forum as it is becoming increasingly clear to me that the battlefield on which WW3 will be fought (and is possibly being fought right now) is in cyberspace.

In my mind it's already begun, but isn't announced to the general public yet.

Only the opening stages are non-physical.

Within the decade, as more people realize that limitations of natural resources are disabling people from rising to middle-class statue the world over, they will start to demand of their governments for action to secure more resources.

The internet brought the American Dream into the minds of the youth all around the world over the last decade. Once they realize it was all just a dream, they're going to be pissed!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Over the years, every now and then, a reporter will report on comments from various Chinese military officials making comments affirming that they are our enemy, without a doubt.

They are not our ally, no matter what a politician says who is getting rich from them.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Hi, Ignant, this is from the article.

The screenshots show the name of the software and the Chinese university that built it, the Electrical Engineering University of China's People's Liberation Army—direct evidence that the PLA is involved in coding cyber-attack software directed against a Chinese dissident group.

The software window says "Choose Attack Target." The computer operator selects an IP address from a list—it happens to be 138.26.72.17—and then selects a target. Encoded in the software are the words "Falun Gong website list," showing that attacking Falun Gong websites was built into the software. A drop-down list of dozens of Falun Gong websites appears. The computer operator chooses Minghui.org, the main website of the Falun Gong spiritual practice.

The IP address 138.26.72.17 belongs to the University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB), according to an online trace. The shots then show a big "Attack" button on the bottom left being pushed, before the camera cuts away.

"The CCP has leaked its top secret here," says Jason Ma, a commentator for New Tang Dynasty Television. "This is the first time we see clearly that one of the top Chinese military universities is doing this research and developing software for cyber-attacks. There's solid proof of it in this video," he said.

I don't think that we will be able to tell exactly what type of 'attack' was being launched here. The important thing to take away from this if one does not have time to dig in is that this is a state sponsored Chinese military operation; not 'just a bunch of hackers' and they are formulating an attack on American targets using the stolen I.P. address from an American university.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Of course I agree with you but we don't have videos like this one out of China that seems to prove it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

nothing accidental about it..

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You too will sign it, once your bank account has been stolen from like mine was. The only reason so far is, the "it hasnt happened to me" mentality. It will, eventually. Bite me.

No I will not. Because I have educated myself. The skills of these so called hackers are available to anyone willing to take the time to learn and secure their personal cyber lives.

I am sorry that your life was upset by this as I have friends and family that have been effected too.

I hope that you will take the time to educate yourself instead of signing on the dotted line.

Isn't this exactly what Ben Franklin was talking about when he mentioned Liberty and Security?

Bite me back.

edit on 23-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

edit on 23-8-2011 by Frater210 because: Sorry, Double Post

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

reply to post by ignant

Hi, Ignant, this is from the article.

The screenshots show the name of the software and the Chinese university that built it, the Electrical Engineering University of China's People's Liberation Army—direct evidence that the PLA is involved in coding cyber-attack software directed against a Chinese dissident group.

The software window says "Choose Attack Target." The computer operator selects an IP address from a list—it happens to be 138.26.72.17—and then selects a target. Encoded in the software are the words "Falun Gong website list," showing that attacking Falun Gong websites was built into the software. A drop-down list of dozens of Falun Gong websites appears. The computer operator chooses Minghui.org, the main website of the Falun Gong spiritual practice.

The IP address 138.26.72.17 belongs to the University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB), according to an online trace. The shots then show a big "Attack" button on the bottom left being pushed, before the camera cuts away.

"The CCP has leaked its top secret here," says Jason Ma, a commentator for New Tang Dynasty Television. "This is the first time we see clearly that one of the top Chinese military universities is doing this research and developing software for cyber-attacks. There's solid proof of it in this video," he said.

I don't think that we will be able to tell exactly what type of 'attack' was being launched here. The important thing to take away from this if one does not have time to dig in is that this is a state sponsored Chinese military operation; not 'just a bunch of hackers' and they are formulating an attack on American targets using the stolen I.P. address from an American university.

thanks! so its Dy nasty TV that caught this Chinese staging of a 'virtual false flag' attack on US?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

nothing accidental about it..

That is my guess.

What do you think that means, then?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think the title of the OP is a bit misleading. The video is supposed to show software attacking Minghui.org the main website of the Falun Gong spiritual practice. Its not good but its not like they are attacking the US military or something, at least not at the moment.

Its difficult to guess exactly what is supposed to happen when they press the 'attack' button on this software. If its a properganda video do we even know if the software is real? It look very simplistic compared to some hacking software ive seen before.

Would be nice to know if the site has been attacked in any way.

edit on 23-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

I agree. I am not signing anything because someone isn't educated enough to secure their assets.

"Bite me" lol... not my type.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm going to call hoax on this one. By the screen shot of the "hacking program" there are no options like hacking programs usually have, with TONS of options.

I don't buy it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join