It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:58 AM
link   
An Oregon anti-terrorism bill would jail street-blocking protesters for at least 25 years in a thinly veiled effort to discourage anti-war demonstrations, critics say.

Dubbed Senate Bill 742, it identifies a terrorist as a person who "plans or participates in an act that is intended, by at least one of its participants, to disrupt" business, transportation, schools, government, or free assembly.

The bill contains automatic sentences of 25 years to life for the crime of terrorism.

Click here for Reuters story

I dont have a problem with peace protesters and I also believe that protesters that block traffic or buildings or break other laws should be arreasted as a misdemeanor offense, but this seems a bit overboard. I think they are going to have trouble passing this law, but who knows.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:06 AM
link   
HAHA NICE 1 !!!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:07 AM
link   
That's BLEEP BLEEP outragious! How could they even BLEEP consider BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPIN MAN! If I see those BLEEPIN BLEEP BLEEPS I'm gunna BLEEP BLEEP thier BLEEP BLEEPS all the way to BLEEP ville! GRRRRR

Ok, had to let that out. Seriously, to arrest anyone who assembles "peacefully" is against the law, as stated in our Bill of Rights. Doubt me if you will, but at least type in and "read" the "Bill of Rights" before you do. Come on now, I'm from Michigan would I sh-t my favorite turds?

p.s. Papa Karlo if you ever cut in front of my posts..I'll I'll ooo you'll see!

[Edited on 3-4-2003 by ADVISOR]

[Edited on 3-4-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
p.s. Papa Karlo if you ever cut in front of my posts..I'll I'll ooo you'll see!

I am sooo sceard a BLEEPED my pants!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Actually ... That bill would be against the law if passed ... It's a friggan protest, obviously thing's are gonna be blocked off. Say 500,000 people protest in front of city hall, they gonna arrest and throw 500,000 people in jail for 25 year's as terrorist's? They can't. It's the right of those 500,000 people to do what they were doing.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Step by step by step we are told to be quiet. "Don't question because it is not your place to to do so." It all ends badly, I fear. I pray I am wrong.

I used to think I was just hanging with you guys and gals too much. But I was speaking to my boss today (a PhD in Philosophy, disertation on Kant. Means nothing just saying he is not a low intelligence creatin) and he even spoke of this, as he said it "slow disintegration of the concepts of Justice and freedom." Hearing this out if his mouth shook me badly as I look up to this man. He has always been the paramount of logical thinking, so if HE thinks we are in trouble I HAVE to think that we, indeed, are.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Thats not good to hear observer. It's almost so gradual that you dont even notice. Here is another ridiculous story of a politician trying to strip freedom:

Yellow ribbon ban riles N.J. town

"Yellow ribbons and all other private displays have been banned from public property in Fieldsboro, New Jersey, a decision that has drawn criticism from residents and business owners who want to show their support for American troops fighting in Iraq."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Step by step by step we are told to be quiet. "Don't question because it is not your place to to do so." It all ends badly, I fear. I pray I am wrong. Posted by Observer

Ever heard of the sausage game?

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I've heard of the sausage game ...

It's sorta like sword fighting, only with huge just cooked peice's of sausage. The winner is determined by whom has the least grease slapped on them.

Ok ... sounded good in my head ... Forget it ...

You know ... I don't claim to be intelligent ...

[Edited on 4-4-2003 by e-nonymous]

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Sausage game: You start out with a whole sausage (your rights). The other guy (the Cabal/NWO/Illuminati, whatever you want to call them) wants to take this away from you. He knows that taking the entire thing is not going to go over too well, and would likely lead to a very ugly uprising.

But thats ok, the other guy knows how to take it away from you without you even getting upset. He just has a lot of patience. (After all, he has been planning his moves for over 200 years).

Instead of taking the entire sausage, he simply takes a little small chunk of it, making sure that its too small to get mad or fight over.

Then he takes another.

And another

And another...

He always keeps these chunks small enough to not be worth fighting over.

Eventually, you have no sausage left, just the string... and thats not worth fighting over either.

yeah, I know, kind of stupid, but effective.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Pffft ... Touch my sausage and your in deep crap!

I'm very protective of my sausage, unless your female, then you can eat the whole thing !!!

Damn I'm a sick fudge.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
May we put this in perspective?

What these criminals and non-productives did in , say, Portland, was not a "peaceable assembly" but caused major shutdowns of the city and damaged innocent people's business, not to mention disrupted innocent people's lives and travel. They went way beyong their bounds and rights.

Put things in a bit more perspective, if my child had been injured and those idiots had stood between us and the emergency room, there'd have been 60 shot-up idiots in the roadway in about 10 seconds. Whether the rest of the jerks got shot would depend on whether they thought they wanted to continue to deny me my right to travel and stood in the way of the hospital.

On court day, my lawyer would have made darned sure there were enough mothers and fathers on the jury to insure my being found innocent.

Continue to glorify the cowardly and spit upon the courageous. See where it lands the country and your freedoms.

While you're at it, continue to create mayhem and destruction under the guise of the constitution and see what kind of laws come down the pike. Don't blame the ones passing the laws, blame the idiots doing stupid things in the name of the constitution. ...peaceably assemble...

Another way of saying it might be to say that your right to swing your fist stops at my nose. Personally, I like the preemptive strike policy. Wind up to throw a punch my way...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
TC,

Just imagine how the Iraqi's feel ... Not that I care or anything though.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
While you're at it, continue to create mayhem and destruction under the guise of the constitution and see what kind of laws come down the pike. Don't blame the ones passing the laws, blame the idiots doing stupid things in the name of the constitution. ...peaceably assemble... Posted by Thomas Crowne

Please understand, I DO NOT agree with the anti-war bunch, and when they operate in large crowds the results are often frightening.

However, the right to peacefully assemble IS guaranteed by the constitution, regardless if you agree with thier reasons or not. The constitution serves a very important purpose, and if you start messing with that, you are only opening the door for others to start messing with many other rights. I would far prefer that the rights be engraved in stone and be held rigid, and not able to change or decrease them in any way.

Your point about the illegal blocking of traffic and the potential hazards it poses to public safety is well taken. This is what the police department is for, to assure that idiots who organize these riots in disguise do not do such things. Does this lead to conflicts? Yes. However, I can deal with conflicts a bit better than an encroaching police state.

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The same country who is asking us to love and praise her colors is stripping away our liberties.

top topics

join