It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Colossal Squid Found Near Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:25 AM
link   
A rare and dangerous squid with eyes the size of dinner plates and scores of razor-sharp hooks to snag its prey has been caught by fishermen off Antarctica, New Zealand scientists said on Thursday.

A trawler caught the 330-pound squid in the sub-Antarctic Ross Sea about 2,200 miles south of Wellington.

Its eight arms and two tentacles have up to 25 teeth-like hooks -- deeply rooted into muscle and able to rotate 360 degrees -- as well as the usual suckers to ensure fish do not escape.

Click here for Reuters story

330 Pounds! Eyes the size of dinner plates! How do you "catch" something this big? And it said in the article that it was only half grown.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I mean I've researched all sorts of squids but these have never turned up. I've heard of giant squids, vampire squids, humbolt squids but never a "collosal" squid. Maybe this is an April fools day joke blown out of proportion? Its intresting none the less.

XAOS

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Just read a repot on CNN.com about this critter. It is indeed real; the colossal is the BIGGER cousin to the giant squid.
The CNN story

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I remember hearing about the first one of these they captured (cryptozoology is another interest of mine)...

If you haven't read Observer's link yet, here are some tidbits...

"The squid was eating Patagonian Toothfish, which grow to two meters in length, when it was caught."

For my fellow americans, that means it was eating 6' long fish!!!

"The body of the colossal squid is much bigger than the giant squid, which can weigh up to 900 kg, 2,000 pounds when fully grown. A giant squid's tentacles can be up to 13 meters long, compared with five meters on the recovered creature."

So, these things can grow to have tentacles almost 40 feet long!!!

Makes you wonder if the old sailors' tales of sea monsters weren't just tales, but accounts, of beasts that were just more plentiful in the past....

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Even if she's dead, I would not like to touch her without gloves ! What a disgusting " beast "....

Good post PA. If you find some other monsters as this one, post them.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
For goodness sake, don't tell the Chinese or all the colossal squids will be hors d'oeuvres within a week!
A fearsome thing.
If anyone wants to search, there's all manner of stuff about legendary sea-monsters being really giant octopuses or squid on the Net. The kraken legend for instance.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
For goodness sake, don't tell the Chinese or all the colossal squids will be hors d'oeuvres within a week!
A fearsome thing.
If anyone wants to search, there's all manner of stuff about legendary sea-monsters being really giant octopuses or squid on the Net. The kraken legend for instance.

The only issue with eating one of these is that it would be terribly chewy and they also have a high concentration of ammonia in their systems. I have heard that they smell like urine.

arc

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
interesting that you should mention the kraken. Aren't they supposed to rise up in end of the world mythology?

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
observer, that would only increase the price!
Yes, arc, there are semi-legends to that effect. Perhaps you might start a thread on "ancient civilisations"? Norse stuff is much neglected.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by observer
The only issue with eating one of these is that it would be terribly chewy

Are these things like eating clams, the bigger the chewier? Has anyone ever eaten squid, the only thing I've ever used squid for is bait!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

The only issue with eating one of these is that it would be terribly chewy

Are these things like eating clams, the bigger the chewier? Has anyone ever eaten squid, the only thing I've ever used squid for is bait!

Are they chewier the bigger they get? I would guess yes. Has anyone eaten squid? I LOVE it. Calamari is wonderful and even squid prepared by my Greek family members is really good (they make squid calamari-ish, but with alot less breading). Dip these in marinara or draw butter... OH MAN I am hungry now..

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   

As our resident in China I wondered if you could answer a question for me. A friend spent some time in China and told me that she was touring some docks one day and saw some fisherman just picking live squid from a bucket and popping them in the mouths. She asked someone and they told her it was the prefered method of eating them. Is this true? Just curious and a little disgusted.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yes, they're delicious: I probably eat a side dish of squid 4-5 times a week, Calamari are heaven as are the Spanish pulpos en su tinto (cooked in their ink).
They are distinctly chewy and are marvellous barbecued.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Observer, it depends where you are and most of China is inland. In terms of quantity the Chinese eat squid dried (as they do most such beasties) most often.
I live on the coast and both squid and prawns (shrimp) are often eaten live. They're very fond of live silkworms too.
But before we all recoil, remember that we eat oysters raw -albeit dead.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   

As our resident in China I wondered if you could answer a question for me. A friend spent some time in China and told me that she was touring some docks one day and saw some fisherman just picking live squid from a bucket and popping them in the mouths. She asked someone and they told her it was the prefered method of eating them. Is this true? Just curious and a little disgusted.

They are good! But remember, these are the wee little cousins, not the stuff you make Italian dishes out of! I like them best charcoal grilled with some Hoisin sauce.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   
personally i never liked any form of squid

on the other hand, i went to this little Chinese place near Atlanta once that was sellin these little tiny fried octopusses, those things were pretty damned good

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I like squid (breaded, sauteed, broiled) I had just never had them ALIVE!! That freaked me out a bit. Raw.. I could do that but ALIVE... I don't think so.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Funny, I've lost my appetite due to this thread, hehe...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is why we need a cryptozoology forum!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
YES! Yes yes yes yes0

top topics

<<   2 >>

join