It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics issue $1 million psychic challenge

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
As far as Randi goes - - - anyone would be insane to sign the terms of the contract he keeps touting.

The contract can be found here...
PDF

Which particular part of the contract would I be insane to sign if I had paranormal powers?

And BTW, if you have to actually read the contract to answer that question, then that will prove to yourself that you actually had no idea when you made the above statement.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

As far as Randi goes - - - anyone would be insane to sign the terms of the contract he keeps touting.

The contract can be found here...
PDF

Which particular part of the contract would I be insane to sign if I had paranormal powers?

And BTW, if you have to actually read the contract to answer that question, then that will prove to yourself that you actually had no idea when you made the above statement.

Just one: Is Randi the sole judge of results?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

James Randi is not the sole judge of results.
As he is semi retired nowdays (and in his 80's) it appears he doesnt even take much part in the setting up of the tests.

The prize money is not his, the JREF organisation has it.
He doesnt do the testing, the JREF organisation does the testing.
He doesnt design the tests, JREF do not design the tests, the APPLICANT designs the tests (although JREF will assist in writing it down in clear terms).
The test must be designed in such a way that the pass/fail is clear and non-ambiguous, so nobody gets to "decide" if the test is a success or not.

See this page for an example of a test for a psychic.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Someone should just will Randi to make them his beneficiary then kill him with magick.
That way he'd never have to admit he was wrong, and someone with strong supernatural powers could get the money.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
IF you , they, are sooooo psychic, then why don't they think of powerball numbers and win all the time?

Because MONEY isn't important.
If anyone you had such a gift, and yes some of us really do.
Then you would know that money isnt a Gift at all.
Money doesn't make you happy , money doesn't solve your problems. Money doesn't bring back the dead, money doesn't give you glimpses of the past or the future.
Money matters not.
So its people that are ignorant like you is the reason that people like me refuse that share our gifts with you.
Why would we when you display such blatent ingorance and disrespect.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Then why not win the prize and donate the money to charity?

And I ask this as someone who believes there may well be genuine psychics.
edit on 25/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

James Randi is not the sole judge of results.
As he is semi retired nowdays (and in his 80's) it appears he doesnt even take much part in the setting up of the tests..

The contract I read was about 10 years ago. I don't know if its the same or not. Or if I was reading the entire contract.

Even so - - if it is only his institute exclusively testing and declaring results - - that's still not OK.

Every thing I've read about this challenge over the years - - - reeks more of a scam - - - then psychic abilities.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The contract I read was about 10 years ago. I don't know if its the same or not. Or if I was reading the entire contract.
Even so - - if it is only his institute exclusively testing and declaring results - - that's still not OK.
Every thing I've read about this challenge over the years - - - reeks more of a scam - - - then psychic abilities.

So what I'm reading here is that although you acknowledge that you were wrong about one thing, and cannot name a single actual thing wrong with the tests... you insist that you're right anyway.

Fine, so any real psychic can win from any number of completely different organisations...

Date Moderator(s) Prize Details Unclaimed
1963 Sri Lanka Abraham Kovoor 100,000 LKR (US$ 901 approx) Kovoor initiated the Abraham Kovoor's challenge starting in 1963. Yes
N/A Alfredo Barrago's Bet € 50,000 (US$ 67,922 approx) "... shown at least a "phenomenon" produced by "medium, seers, sensitive etc." of paranormal nature."[3] Yes
N/A United Kingdom Association for Skeptical Enquiry £ 13,000 (US$ 20,942 approx) Yes
N/A Australia Australian Skeptics AU$ 100,000 (US$ 101,374 approx) For proof the existence of extrasensory perception, telepathy, or telekinesis. Yes
N/A India Basava Premanand 100,000 INR (US$ 2,190 approx) Yes
N/A United States Center for Inquiry West US$ 50,000 For "a demonstration of so-called paranormal ability scientifically tested onstage".[4] Yes
N/A United States Independent Investigations Group US$ 50,000 Yes
N/A United States Fayetteville Freethinkers US$ 1,000 Yes
N/A Finland Finnish Association of Skeptics € 10,000 (US$ 13,584 approx) Money partially from Hannu Karttunen and Iiro Seppänen. Yes
N/A India Indian Skeptic 100,000 Paranormal Challenge 100,000 INR (US$ 2,190 approx) Yes
1968-present United States James Randi Educational Foundation One million US dollars Largest prize money in US dollars. (Also see the Sima Nan prize.) Yes
N/A Kazakhstan Kazakhstan Commission for the Investigation of Anomalous Phenomena US$ 1,000 Yes
N/A Canada Les Sceptiques du Quebec CA$ 10,000 (US$ 10,132 approx) Yes
N/A United States New York Area Skeptics US$ 2,000 Awarded to the successful completion of the James Randi Educational Foundation prize winner. Yes
N/A United States North Texas Skeptics US$ 12,000 Yes
N/A United States Philip J. Klass (deceased) US$ 10,000 For proof of an extraterrestrial visit to the Earth. Yes
N/A India Science and Rationalists' Association of India 2,500,000 INR (US$ 54,758) Prabir Ghosh will pay Rs. 2,000,000 to anyone can demonstrate a supernatural power in his presence.[5] Yes
N/A United States Scientific American US$ 2,500 Two US$ 2,500 offers: (1) for the first authentic spirit photograph made under test conditions, and (2) for the first psychic to produce a "visible psychic manifestation." From 1922. Yes
N/A People's Republic of China Sima Nan 10,000,000 CNY (US$ 1,524,157 approx) Can be won in conjunction with the James Randi Educational Foundation prize.[6] Yes
N/A Belgium SKEPP € 10,500 (US$ 14,263 approx) In association with the Sisyphus project. Yes
N/A New Zealand Stuart Landsborough's Puzzling World NZ$ 100,000 (US$ 76,989 approx) Yes
N/A Sweden Swedish Humanist Association 100,000 SEK (US$ 15,421 approx) Yes
N/A Estonia Eesti Skeptik 10,000 EEK (US$ 1,000 approx) Yes
N/A Kuwait Eng. Sanad Rashed and Dr.Ahmed Khaled US$ 5,000 For proof ouija boards function as claimed. Yes
N/A Russia Bitva Ekstrasensov No money Prize is the chance to participate in the James Randi challenge with full media and academic support.[citation needed] Yes
1987-2002 France Henri Broch, Jacques Theodor, Gérard Majax €200,000 International Zetetic Challenge Yes

link

Throwing ad hominem attacks at James Randi is clearly no excuse for no person with paranormal abilities to have never won a prize from any of those.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

So what I'm reading here is that although you acknowledge that you were wrong about one thing, and cannot name a single actual thing wrong with the tests... you insist that you're right anyway.

Where exactly do I acknowledge I was wrong?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join