It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Offering funds, U.S. agency dreams of sending humans to stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
New York Times, August 8, 2011

By Dennis Overbye

"Alpha Centauri or bust.

The government agency that helped invent the Internet now wants to do the same for travel to the stars.

In what is perhaps the ultimate startup opportunity, Darpa, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, plans to award some lucky, ambitious and starstruck organization roughly $500,000 in seed money to begin studying what it would take- organizationally, technically, sociologically and ethically- to send humans to another star, a challenge of such magnitude that the study alone could take a hundred years.

The awarding of that grant, on Nov.11,- 11/11/11- is planned as the culmination of a yearlong Darpa- NASA effort called the 100-Year Starship Study, which started quietly last winter and will include a three-day public symposium in Orlando, Fla., on Sept. 30, on the whys and wherefores of interstellar travel.

The agenda ranges far beyond rocket technology to include such topics as legal, social and economic considerations of interstellar migration, philosophical and religious concerns, where to go and - perhaps most important - how to inspire the public to support this very expensive vision."

Source:

nytimes.com/science

Science News. Space Shuttle News - Space... New York Times
edit on 19-8-2011 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm sorry, didn't mean to step on anybody's toes. Please put in trash bin.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'll believe this is serious... when I see the "Jupiter 2" ready for launch. And hopefully, without Dr. Smith this time!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c12ba3a2e37.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
same thing

OPd at 2 PM
t.co...
its all over the net
they dare not mention Tesla and they will get paid for not mentioning him.
Figure it out, the Tesla waves move gases and soon enough they can not be moved and the ship moves.
Thats the way to go through space.

top topics

join