It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate Apple, the company, but am in love with and addicted to the OS... someone help me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
i started out on windows 95, then 98, and ended at XP which i thought was awesome.
then i got a macbook with OSX leopard, as a college grad gift, and ive been hooked to it ever since.
i have family members who have Windows Vista.. and ive tried playing around with it, but i HATE IT.

its like the difference between a beautiful insanely fast "supercar" (apple) with lots of neat options and gizmos and ease of use, but without any real customization or raw horsepower... and a muscle car (windows) that you can do anything you can think of too.. as long as you know exactly what youre doing, cuz otherwise it will explode in your face.

my main problem is... i really HATE APPLE..
but i used to HATE Microsoft... so....

any advice?

im an artist, i want to get back into doing graphics and creating websites and maybe even movies..
i need something thats going to be AMAZING that i dont have to spend all day "fiddling" with

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

You can upgrade to OS X Lion for 30 bucks now, Check the app store...

FYI I was the exact same way, Got MacBook Pro for school, and havnt looked back to windows once... I freaking hate Windows, unfortuantely thats what my job uses

edit on 17/8/11 by AdamAnt because: (no reason given)

Try downloading Adobe CS5 or later
edit on 17/8/11 by AdamAnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

thats exactly what brought this up, i wasnt paying attention and missed upgrading to snow leopard, and i have to have it to upgrade to lion. but they dont carry it at the apple store or any of the resellers now that lion has come out.

so i spent the last two days searching for it on the internet even though i dont even really NEED IT.

its #ing ridiculous. if its about the money, why not just have a separate update for leopard users that costs more?

thats why i hate them... they make a great product.. but theyre freaking idiots.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
oh, and the cherry on top was when i called apple to ask them if there was any way i could just download snow leopard since i was having so much trouble finding a store that carried it.. and the guy just slapped me with a big fat "NO" and then "search on google" and then he HUNG UP ON ME.

LOL.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
build a hackintosh
then all you have to do is buy the os!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
You need not spend a penny with Linux OS. It is recommended by artists especially with the amount of tools they offer for DAW, blender, graphics, some nice video apps etc. Its completely reliable and you could be having less time worrying about stability and other issues.

Redhat seems to be the choice for 3d artists who have moved away from commercial OS. They use maya, xsi, houdini etc. Linux multimedia studio distro offers a range of audio production tools. You can always download a custom version heavily modified for your own taste and needs. It is the best bet for anyone who wants hassle free environment. But the tools needs some getting used to.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Dude, just make a Hackintosh computer. That way you won't feel bad about using apple crap. You can put the OS on any computer....and they really HATE that at the apple store.
EDIT: lol, I didn't see the post above mine about Hackintosh.

Edit: I am an artist. There is no real benefits for artists just using Macs, that was pretty much done when Windows XP came out.
edit on 17-8-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by radkrish
You need not spend a penny with Linux OS. It is recommended by artists especially with the amount of tools they offer for DAW, blender, graphics, some nice video apps etc. Its completely reliable and you could be having less time worrying about stability and other issues.

Redhat seems to be the choice for 3d artists who have moved away from commercial OS. They use maya, xsi, houdini etc. Linux multimedia studio distro offers a range of audio production tools. You can always download a custom version heavily modified for your own taste and needs. It is the best bet for anyone who wants hassle free environment. But the tools needs some getting used to.

^ This.
As a Computer Tech, i am familliar with all these OS's, and i must say they all have their goods and bads. But MAC = suck. No offence to your choice of it, thats just my opinion based on my own research.

I can build a PC that is better than a Mac, for 2/3 of the same price. maybe even 1/2 depending.

But you could build a hackintosh, a PC with Mac OSX or whichever OS you want.
, learning linux from mac would be a feat in itself.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
reply to post by AdamAnt

thats exactly what brought this up, i wasnt paying attention and missed upgrading to snow leopard, and i have to have it to upgrade to lion. but they dont carry it at the apple store or any of the resellers now that lion has come out.

so i spent the last two days searching for it on the internet even though i dont even really NEED IT.

its #ing ridiculous. if its about the money, why not just have a separate update for leopard users that costs more?

thats why i hate them... they make a great product.. but theyre freaking idiots.

There is a free upgrade on there that prepare lion to download with leaopard, I just completed this earlier today, thee upgrade about an hour, and the Lion took about an hour and a half to finish, You have to dig through the app store to find the upgrade though.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
thats the thing.. i dont have the app store, it comes with snow leopard.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

Originally posted by radkrish

^ This.
As a Computer Tech, i am familliar with all these OS's, and i must say they all have their goods and bads. But MAC = suck. No offence to your choice of it, thats just my opinion based on my own research.

I can build a PC that is better than a Mac, for 2/3 of the same price. maybe even 1/2 depending.

But you could build a hackintosh, a PC with Mac OSX or whichever OS you want.
, learning linux from mac would be a feat in itself.

yes, YOU may be able to, but im an artist, not a computer tech.
thats why i like apple, i can USE it.

i dont want a computer to play with, i want a computer to run the applications that i want to run without me having to spend hours fiddling around with settings and numbers and system files and all that nonsense.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
oh well.. i really have no idea how to "build" a computer either... lol so i guess im screwed.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

Embrace your inner Apple!

Seriously, if you're looking to concentrate on graphics and design then Apple and Adobe is the solid ticket. The vast majority of design studios, pre-press service bureaus and printers use Macs as the industry standard. Should you need to exchange or prepare files there will be less platform conflicts. Take it from someone who has been around that block many a time.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I really hate apple too...
I'm a PC guy...
But sadly I own an Iphone 3G...
It was only 50 bucks!
and It beats my old piece of crap phone!
I can't complain though really about my Iphone...
wish it were a droid though

But yeah I agree about graphic design...
Apple's OS's are the best for editing of any nature.
I actually wish I had one for my studio

Ohhhh... and check out this cool little tidbit about the Apple Company

Clicks Heres

-Best of Luck
Evol Eric

edit on 8/18/11 by EvolEric because: felt the urge

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
oh well.. i really have no idea how to "build" a computer either... lol so i guess im screwed.

if you're a relatively intelligent human being you can do this quite easily!
instructions are readily available on the internet and the build process is actually quite fun.
done in a day.
ditch that defeatist attitude and build yourself a beast of a machine and load it with os x.
you don't have to do any fiddling and you can scream through graphic intensive applications.

edit on 18-8-2011 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

yeah im not sure where that attitude was coming from honestly, i felt weird writing it at the time.
im just annoyed that things cant be easier cuz im so lazy.. lol.

i dont have any extra money for it right now, but i think i might just buy a good cheap netbook for internet and writing and fooling aorund with.
then wipe my macbook clean and update all the software, and only use it for the art/design crap... and im going to buy an adapter so i can hook it up to my HDTV to use as a second monitor. lol. crazy.

ill look into building my own when the macbook cant be updated anymore and hopefully ill have more money.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I will never buy Apple until they change their pricing policy. Equivelents of their products are usually available at least 50% of the cost, yes Apple tend to be better... the question is, is it that much better that I am willing to pay double? The answer to that will always be NO

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I hate Apple, the company too.... but I LOVEZ real apples!

They make me fart, though....

new topics

top topics

join