It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer Jeremy Henwood's Final Act of Kindness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Officer Jeremy Henwood's Final Act of Kindness

www.msnbc.msn.com

Just moments before he was fatally wounded in an unprovoked attack, a San Diego police officer performed one last act of kindness; he bought a child food while buying his own dinner.

Jeremy Henwood, 36, stopped at the McDonald's in the 3800-block of Fairmount Avenue at 5:24 p.m. on Aug. 6. Surveillance video released Tuesday shows Henwood speaking with the boy and getting their food shortly before leaving the store at 5:27 p.m.

Shortly after 5:30 p.m., Henwood was shot while sitting inside his patrol car at the corner of University Avenue and 45th Street. Henwood had only made it six bl
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nbcsandiego.com
articles.latimes.com
articles.latimes.com

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
A 36 year old police officer. A Marine vet of multiple tours, and a nice guy to boot. Some random kid asked him for $0.10, and instead he bought him a meal. He asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up, and the kid says an NBA star. The cops advice? "You know you'll have to work hard for that."

And then, sitting a few blocks away, he gets assassinated just eating his lunch.

It is a sad, sad day in America when it is safer in Iraq than San Diego.

I know there will be plenty of cop bashing in this thread, but let's not forget that this individual was a good person. He was one of the one's bringing pride to the uniform, and he paid with his life.

He was younger than I am.

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

So how do we go about stopping all teh retoric about "if the police try to take my gun im going to murder them"

It seems alot of teh "dont tread on me people" speak out of one corner of their mouth saying their going to systematically murder our "satan controlled" goverment while on the other side saying we need to respect eachother.

am i the only one that finds this bipolar nature disturbing?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Perhaps the place to start for those folks saying that is to see that MOST cops aren't there to abuse the public for their own personal amusement. They really are human beings, making a living and generally doing one of the crappiest and most dangerous jobs society has to offer.

There is a % of bad ones....but they are a %, not the majority. The media just so rarely covers a sad yet pro-officer story like this and runs for weeks on a brutality one. Oh well.... Hopefully the cop bashers will give this thread a pass. This puts a lump in my throat for the family of the Officer.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I might fall in that crowd. I think it is more of the "Don't Tread On Me" spirit.

I don't know anybody in my crowd that is calling for the murder of police officers. We are just calling for personal liberties and personal responsibility and smaller government. The vast majority of police officers are great people, and they do their jobs with integrity. It is an extremely small number that make the news or youtube and give a bad name to the rest.

That is exactly the reason we should share more of the good stories of good officers.

I happen to have many friends in law enforcement, and I have known two fallen officers in Florida this year alone. It is always a shame when someone dies at work. It is unnecessary and sad.

It is an entirely different topic than talking about defending one's home against an unconstitutional invasion, or defending one's country against a hostile takeover by corporate puppets.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Usually one to be a harsh critic of LE but I will not condone this kind of cowardly crap. If a cop is thugging it up then I hope eventually citizens do respond but not like this. Even the most vile thug is a human and this was by all accounts one of the kind of LEO we need. Sad state of affairs but it is bound to happen on both sides as long as violence is how we relate. Not a fan of where LE has gone but am not a blind hater either and this was as wrong as if it were on the other side. Just plain sad where we have come to these days....
seed

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I have been saying for some time now, all the media focus on bad police and police brutality is for a reason, to get the people stirred up and angry, and willing to kill cops for no reason.

Now I can't honestly say this has anything to do with that media focus on bad police, but this certainly fits in with other similar news around the country of unprovoked attacks on police.

I think the purpose of this is to create a massacre of police over a short period of time so they can put even MORE restrictive laws into place or declare martial law ans just kill or jail whoever they please.

If my theory is correct, there will be more of these killings/attacks and more media focus on it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

Yep. I kind of half expected someone to come in and say this was a deserved retaliation. Not necessarily on this cop, but on cops in general, and apparently this force has had its problems in the past, but it doesn't excuse the action.

If people really want a better police force, then killing one of the good guys is the worst possible thing. By all accounts, this was a guy that would have made the neighborhood safer, and would have served as a beacon of good and an icon for the force.

Everything becomes so much more clear when we look at individuals. There are no us, and them, and Muslims, and Christians, and Cops, and Crooks, there are just people. Even some evil Bilderberger Banker, is just a person when they are at home eating a Big Mac with their wife and kids.

If we can all start to see the individuals instead of the caricatures, then we will be on the path to redemption and peace. I hope it starts happening soon.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Ive read almost everything youve ever written on here.

But if they try to take your guns away youll murder them? Lots of our police are good people.. but if they try to take my guns all blow their heads off and cover my body in their blood.

I have a right to own Knives, swords, bombs, nukes, rockets, fighter jets, and tanks. It sounds quite stupid.

But what can you do... if god says its ok to murder people then i dont know how you can attack that logic.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This wasn't just another cop, this was a police officer who actually seemed to care about people and his community, something that used to be common place and is now seemingly becoming rare.

He will be missed.
edit on 16-8-2011 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I've seen a number of "good cop" threads lately and it's nice to see some balance going on. I'm know there are still horrific acts done by the police but it goes both ways and it seems people often forget that.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I've never said any of that stuff. I have said plenty of violent things, but always in specific context and situation. As a matter of fact, in most of the gun-seizing threads, I have advised that it would be stupid to fight an overwhelming force. Give the guns up, and live to fight another day. I don't want to be a martyr.

The fact is, I don't believe anybody will ever come for the guns. The police are just people, and they won't go along with it on a massive scale. The military are just people, and they won't go along with it on a massive scale.

Unless of course, we allow the rights and liberties of the country to be continually eroded voluntarily.

If you've read a lot of my stuff, then you have read this thread: How Close Are We?
If we give up our freedoms, it will be the boiling frog scenario. It will be a little erosion generation by generation until it is too late. And yes, part of that erosion of liberty is limiting our rights to own guns and knives and jets and tanks. I believe we all have not only the right, but also the responsibility to take care of ourselves and our families. We should not be leaning on the government to take care of us. We need to all be independently responsible for our own actions and safety and security.

Also, if you have read most of my other posts, you will know that I don't subscribe to any particular religion and my view of "God" is one that pervades all religions and cannot be personified. Our biggest mistake in organized religion is trying to pin human thoughts onto a God. There is no "God says its ok" in my belief.

Now, what does any of this have to do with this particular cop? Are you trying to say this was a result of gun control, or lack of gun control, or are you just trolling in generalities?

ETA:
This also isn't my first pro-cop thread, or fallen cop thread. This was an acquaintance earlier this year.
edit on 16-8-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
This wasn't just another cop, this was a police officer who actually seemed to care about people and his community, something that used to be common place and is now seemingly becoming rare.

He will be missed.
edit on 16-8-2011 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

Absolutely.

And even more sadly so. If he hadn't been killed, who would have ever known that such a man existed? How many other cops are doing little things day in and day out and not being recognized for it, but instead demonized because of the rare evils of their counterparts?

This man will be sorely missed, but maybe it is important that we look at the other LEOs that are still around, and still doing nice things without anybody noticing!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The real tragedy in this story is that the media has already moved on and not given this story the attention it deserves. This was pure and simple sensless hate and cowardess! I feel sad for those people around in this officers family who have lost a kind hearted man.

Now before all of you law enforcement bashers take this thread down with your opinions.

Not all cops are bad... They are humans doing a job. I know there are corrupt ones but tell me a profession where there are no corrupt people.
Doctors...
Lawyers...
Politicians...
Preists,,,
Professional Athletes...
Salesmen...
School teachers...

cor·rupt   /kəˈrʌpt/ Show Spelled
[kuh-ruhpt] Show IPA

–adjective
1. guilty of dishonest practices, as bribery; lacking integrity; crooked: a corrupt judge.
2. debased in character; depraved; perverted; wicked; evil: a corrupt society.
3. made inferior by errors or alterations, as a text.
4. infected; tainted.
5. decayed; putrid.

Really folks the list could go on and on and on....

Bottom line.
This was a good man who was tragicly gunned down for no reason! The fact that he was a cop makes no differecnce. Honestly we could use more good hearted individuals like this officer.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Why could it not have been one of those trigger happy dog killing trazer crazy cops? We all could do with one less of them around. But no, it had to be one of the good ones and we have so far of them left.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Wow that was a bittersweet story. It makes me sad and happy at the same time. He was a man's man it would seem.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

So how do we go about stopping all teh retoric about "if the police try to take my gun im going to murder them"

It seems alot of teh "dont tread on me people" speak out of one corner of their mouth saying their going to systematically murder our "satan controlled" goverment while on the other side saying we need to respect eachother.

am i the only one that finds this bipolar nature disturbing?

You're right. We shouldn't group people arbitrarily based on our own warped views. We shouldn't prejudge groups of people whom we have never met, especially those who we don't share similar views with. It's wrong to proclaim that a group of people who are working for a better America are violent and, at worst, murderous and insane.

Oh wait, do you see what I did there?

As far as this officer goes, find me one person who isn't a troll here who believes he deserved to be assassinated?

Oh wait, do you see what I did there?

Of course, this officer is part of the same ilk that is corrupt to the bone and obviously was going to shoot the kid and his dog, but there were too many witnesses.

In all seriousness, this is a tragic loss and is part of the job. We should mourn this officer, but also realize that he died in the line of duty and his family will have a lot to deal with, but at least they will know that he was a good man doing good things until his last breath and God will welcome him openly into his eternal arms.

Rest in peace, Semper Fi and Marines don't die, they just get promoted.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Thanks for this thread man!!!
Its VERY nice to see an alternative to the cop bashing threads.
This man was a good guy by the sounds of things and it is sad to see a good man is gone.

I just finished watching the video now and have to admit...I got a little choked up.

edit on 17-8-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

A 36 year old police officer. A Marine vet of multiple tours, and a nice guy to boot. Some random kid asked him for $0.10, and instead he bought him a meal. He asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up, and the kid says an NBA star. The cops advice? "You know you'll have to work hard for that."

And then, sitting a few blocks away, he gets assassinated just eating his lunch.

It is a sad, sad day in America when it is safer in Iraq than San Diego.

I know there will be plenty of cop bashing in this thread, but let's not forget that this individual was a good person. He was one of the one's bringing pride to the uniform, and he paid with his life.

while sad yes i would hardly say safer in iraq where just days ago 60 people were killed in one day. Sorry but just kinda seemed like an insensitive comparison considering all of the people risking thier lives as we speak in iraq. just my opinion however

while sad yes i would hardly say safer in iraq where just days ago 60 people were killed in one day. Sorry but just kinda seemed like an insensitive comparison considering all of the people risking thier lives as we speak in iraq. just my opinion however

He was younger than I am.

www.msnbc.msn.com

edit on 17-8-2011 by AllUrChips because: messed up quote

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

sorry not sure what happend there this was my response to the op

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join