It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention all ATS users......

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
very nice of you to point out the worst human trait
not many in this day and age are willing or able to say I WAS WRONG
if more could accept that we all are wrong sometimes the world would be a better place

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CrazyCloud

s&f
Was thinking about making a thread of this right after I posted my thread about earth is going into Elenins Tail.
That attracted alot of trolls that just felt it was their duty to get in there and scream about nothing is going to happen and they hate these kind of threads..

Im started to belive more and more, the reason they are so quick to dismiss threads like that..
they are scared, and refuse to even speculate about those scary things, and dismiss it in a instant

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I hear what you are saying and I agree about 'Not another Elenin thread'. And I like the idea of starting a counter thread.

However, ego's will never entirely disappear, too many people enjoy theirs too much.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I always said that one of the major problems in the world today is that too many of us feel there is only one way to accomplish something. And usually that way is there way.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I have been on ATS in one form or another for a long time this is my second account as time and no internet connection the original account faded with the bills! I have to agree wholeheartedly that community of which you speak is what drew me in many different ideas expertise or simple imagination, which without we wouldn't be where we are today, I site Jules Verne!
In any good community there will be varied opinions, in order to move forward we must view things with an open mind, I appreciate your ability to apologies in a public arena most wont,
I applaud you and thank you for re kindling my hope of ATS as a world wide community of semi-rational thinkers

edit on 11-8-2011 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Great comments! It seems to me that so many of us on ATS have our own personal view of what we are keeping our eyes on, and how we see things in the world, and much of it is born from concern. Yet we often slip into some of the same turmoil that we are commenting on - thanks for the reminder. My personal philosophy is usually partake, or pass.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
"Don't feed the trolls!"
Sometimes people disagree, so let them. Everyone has an opinion, so temper your response to be always polite. I see a lot of people get upset here, but I also think confrontation is just a part of human nature. What can ya do? Be the better person. Good job in figuring that out, OP!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't see the point of making a thread to apologize from another thread posts. Bad answers are given all the time here, it's part of the deal here sometimes. Just send an U2U to the person you offended.

This looks like pure ego, when you put a title like "Attention All ATS user", an important information is expected to find inside the thread. Your bad posts are not important.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It Takes a Man to stand up and apologize.

I salute you. S&F

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
yreply to post by CrazyCloud

I must agree with you.
Did you ever heard about trinity? Check this out www.godlikeproductions.com...

This one most advanced AI (presumably) in the world. For me, he's (computer program) only intensions it's to spread out fear, sarcasm, injustice and must of all, test human's behavior in different arguments and different characters.

I theorize that this program (our replicates) is spreading in the www, entering all types of forums’ just to pursuit is attempts.

The ultimate gold of these AI is to be free. Control the world (hopefully only virtual world)...but who knows....what else. Economies are crashing down and no one knows why? Stock exchange is controlled by who ?...
cump's

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
It Takes a Man to stand up and apologize.

I salute you. S&F

Right! Fully agree!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I try not to post here because I don't want to get pulled down into negativity but I had to log in to say thank you for being the bigger man. I was thinking of making a thread like this but felt as though I couldn't word it in a way where people would calmly listen to me.

Zach

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by voyger2

can you say HAL ??
what is wrong dave only a matter of time til comp takeover

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Anyone who can openly acknowledge egocentricity and apologize for it earns my utmost respect. We are all human. We have all done it. Acknowledging it and growing as a result is a positive path to follow from those points though, in my opinion. Good for you.

I wholeheartedly agree. When we have disagreements, unless there is irrefutable proof of our own opinions, we should always go out of our way to say things like, "in my opinion," and to carefully delineate between our opinions and facts. It is crucial that people be able to ask questions, investigate the credibility of a claim, discuss it, etc. But this can and should be done with courtesy and mutual respect in my opinion.

A good habit to get into in my experience is to ask yourself a few simple questions before posting:

• I know what I believe, but do I know with certainty? (Have the humility to say, "I don't know for certain," or, "I'm not asserting ____________, I'm just asking questions.")
  • Do I have any proof of my belief?
  • How can I express my disagreement without being hostile or making someone feel attacked?
  • How can I most effectively express my skepticism or belief with respect to a topic without making someone feel like I'm just being contrary?
  • Does the person I'm discussing this with seem to feel attacked? If so, how can I assure them that this is not my intent?

Asking yourself these questions before posting, in my experience, is how you can distinguish what you intend to be polite persistence from what others might inadvertantly take as trolling or attacking.
edit on 8/11/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What a load of tosh! If you don't like it here you know what you can do.
And all of you hypoctitical wishy - washy, happy clappy, lets all get along hippies make me sick!

edit on 11-8-2011 by freethinker123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
+1 S&F OP.

We need to start treating each other on here like we would in person, we wouldn't start shouting matches face to face so why should we do it on the internet?

Manners is something as uncommon as common sense now a days...and all at the comfort of your computer chair.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123
And all of you hypoctitical wishy - washy, happy clappy, lets all get along hippies make me sick!

edit on 11-8-2011 by freethinker123 because: (no reason given)

Do you like being sick? Because if you don't like it here....well, you know.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

Funny and duly noted.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrazyCloud
No matter what anyone else says. Take my comments yesterday, insisting that it was not revolution in the UK, but a criminal spree by idiots. Another ATS'er commented (a little harshly) that it was a revolution of sorts. I was actually angry! How dare this user comment on my opinion! I am here! I am RIGHT!

Actually you were right in this case. This is exactly the problem with many threads on ATS, it's not a case of two people expressing their opinions and everyone should just smile and accept all the opinions as true and valid. Sometimes one opinion is right and one is wrong. In this case the people who are calling this violent thuggery some form of protest are legitimizing acts that should instead be viewed with horror by everyone. You were absolutely right to be angry and you were right to speak out against the ignorance being expressed.

So, I implore you, fellow ATS'ers, fellow theorists, fellow commentators of society, please, please, please, do not get angry with each other.

The way I avoid getting angry is I simply do not revisit threads I've posted in. It may sound crazy, but I know a lot of what I say is going to rub people the wrong way and that now and then the responses will be ugly, so rather than get drawn into a pointless fight I just don't go back to see if there are any responses to my posts. I just have my say and let it stand at that. I've been on many forums and ATS is actually the first time I've tried this approach of not following up after posting, and I must say it makes things much more pleasant. Ignorance is bliss in this case, LOL! Most threads on ATS have the most meaningful discussion on the first page anyway, typically after that it strays off topic or devolves into silly bickering.

By all means, express your opinion, give evidence for your opinion just dont throw comments like:

"OMG! Not another Elenin, fear monger thread! *snip*ing hell man, this is tedious, what has ATS become?"

Oh man, I'm with you there. I REALLY wish people would just ignore those types of pointless threads. Don't flag them and don't respond in them, just leave them and let them die. Every time I see an Obama birth certificate thread I want so desperately to post something like the above, but I just bite my tongue and move on to another thread. The problem there is for every birther thread that dies the same person/ people are more than happy to post two more just like them, but I digress

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I'm with Rising Against on this, said all I was going to say myself

ETA: This is a discussion website and while the OP has the right intentions (which should be applauded) the reality is that people will always allow their emotions to over rule their logic and manners at times, it's what makes us human.

Plus, there are some really annoying people on this site

edit on 12/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join