It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada Test Site selling excess property to non-profit groups..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   

MARCH 21--While we normally don't post dry government audits, this one by the Department of Enegy's inspector general is a real beaut. Seems that the agency, due to a downsizing at facilities like the Nevada Test Site, has sold off excess property to a Las Vegas-based non-profit group for bargain basement prices--so low, in fact, that the deals were "not in the best interest of the taxpayers," according to the IG's audit (key excerpts of which you'll find below). While TSG does not have a need for a front-end loader, we sure would have paid more than the 17 cents Energy brass scored, on average, for equipment like that. And we would have offered at least five clams for that $9310 copier that went for a shiny nickel. (6 pages)

click here to go to the page for the 6 pages

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I can say that this story is worthy of the Enquirer.

I have worked at NTS many times. The equipment they have was thrashed when they shut down in '92. They are still using this thrashed equipment. The mining gear - which this drill rig is - is third-world thrashed. Leaks all over, unsafe, not worth the expense to maintain, much less repair.

Regarding those trucks - the organization I work for had first pick. We took the cream of the crop in '93. They were thrashed when we got them. We won't take them off base - it's a liability thing. Hit a civilian vehicle with one of these funky clunkers, gauranteed lawsuit. If they get a flat we scrap them because they aren't worth putting used tires on.

Copiers? Computers? 1989 technology. 486es.

There are warehouses full of older TVs, electronic test equipment and machine tools I'd like to get my hands on. But anything that wears as it works is beyond worn out over there.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I don't know where you'd find the time to have a life, because where I come from, any disposal or even any SCRATCH upon government property, requires the filing of much paper work.

I highly doubt that the peices of Government property you were using, were so easily thrown away.

Even the Military (by far the most efficient of the paper handlers) still is burdened with reports for every ding that shows up on their equipment.

new topics

join