It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian meteorite behind 'space DNA' discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
NASA has confirmed that some components of DNA (I am assuming they are talking about amino acids) in a 40 year old meteorite which made landfall in Australia did actually come from outer space.

They have confirmed that the DNA components did not come from Earthly contamination.

I'm surprised it took 40 years to confirm this since DNA analysis has been around for quite a few years now.

www.news.com.au

Very interesting to say the least.
edit on 10/8/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: Kan't do grammar....

edit on 10/8/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: Still Kan't do grammar....

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I wonder if that meteorite was actually the the one that made life on earth.

that would be interesting

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing

It would be.....but it only hit the earth in 1969.

I think that's why they are so confident because they found it so quickly and were able to quarantine it straight away before it became exposed to too much contamination.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
how ignorant must one be if they read this post and still believe life exists only on earth.
this screams a diversly inhabited cosmos

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing

If you read the post it says the meteorite is 40 years old which I assume means it feel to earth 40 years ago.. Because obviously a meteorite would likely be millions of years old..

So I'm guessing, no this is not the what started life on earth.. Also common theory suggests we evolved, there is no evidence or claims outside the alternative community which states life on earth started from a meteorite landing on earth..

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Also common theory suggests we evolved, there is no evidence or claims outside the alternative community which states life on earth started from a meteorite landing on earth..

That's not quite accurate Misterlondon.

There is a theory called Pan-spermia which advocates exactly that, the theory is around 50 years old now and it is well known in the space sciences. I can't remember the scientist's name who came up with it but I will find out.

I remember learning about this in high school in the 80's.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Wow, this Panspermia theory goes all the way back to ancient Greece to the 5th Century B.C.E. with a philosopher named Anaxagoras.

The 20th Century proponenents were Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe.

Wikipedia - Panspermia

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

How small is this lump of creation? Wonders why they didn't take a core sample years earlier.. pretty sure the internals would have not had any contamination. Probably religiously bias scientists who had to wait till disclosure was ok because God can still be factored in there somewhere.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

oh yes. I failed to realise that.

life on earth started a few years earlier.

I am bit tired tonight.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LexiconV
How small is this lump of creation? Wonders why they didn't take a core sample years earlier.. pretty sure the internals would have not had any contamination.

It doesn't say how big the Australian meteorite is but it seems these findings are also based on 8 other samples from the Antarctic where there was an 8 kilogram or 17 pound sample.

An interesting quote from the NASA researchers.....

Thirdly, the team found these nucleobases -- both the biological and non-biological ones -- were produced in a completely non-biological reaction. "In the lab, an identical suite of nucleobases and nucleobase analogs were generated in non-biological chemical reactions containing hydrogen cyanide, ammonia, and water. This provides a plausible mechanism for their synthesis in the asteroid parent bodies, and supports the notion that they are extraterrestrial," says Callahan.

NASA web page
edit on 10/8/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: Korrection

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Also common theory suggests we evolved, there is no evidence or claims outside the alternative community which states life on earth started from a meteorite landing on earth..

That's not quite accurate Misterlondon.

There is a theory called Pan-spermia which advocates exactly that, the theory is around 50 years old now and it is well known in the space sciences. I can't remember the scientist's name who came up with it but I will find out.

I remember learning about this in high school in the 80's.

I stand corrected... I was aware of the panspermia theory although didn't realise it was recognized by science, I always thought it was a theory in the alternative world..

new topics

top topics

join