It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should we be alone in the universe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is the question that needs to be asked. The question, are we alone in the universe, makes no sense. Why should we be alone in the universe? Why should we think that the universe produced life once when there's billions of stars, galaxies and planets in the universe?

It makes no sense and the universe is fined tuned to produce life just like it's fined tuned to produce planets, stars, comets and more.

The only reason why the question is even asked, is because materialist lead you to believe that life is something hard for the universe to achieve. This is because to materialist life is just a byproduct of the material. So they see it as rare and difficult. It's like shaking a box of puzzle pieces and eventually the pieces will randomly form the puzzle.

We know about extremophiles, exoplanets, water on other planets, billions of stars, galaxies and planets and more. So the question shouldn't be are we alone? The question should be why should we be alone? There isn't a compelling reason why the universe would only produce life once.

Whether life is fined tuned by a Designer or the multiverse isn't the question. The fact is, the universe is fined tuned to produce life, planet, stars and more. So it's a no brainer that life exists throughout the universe.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
We don't like to share our toys and we don't play well with others.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
It makes no sense and the universe is fined tuned to produce life just like it's fined tuned to produce planets, stars, comets and more.

A multifacted question, and there have been several answers proposed over the years.
The "anthropic principle" is worth looking at. Because really the only reason you are able to observe a "fined tuned" universe, is because you are alive in it. Only universes that are "fined tuned" are able to be observed by life within it.

And also, how do you know for sure it is "fined tuned"?

Victor Stenger dispute fine-tuning, saying that even though "life as we know it would not exist if any one of several of the constants of physics were just slightly different, [we] cannot prove that some other form of life is feasible with a different set of constants. Anyone who insists that our form of life is the only one conceivable is making a claim based on no evidence and no theory

wiki

P.S. Ah yes, and "are we alone"? Dunno.

edit on 9-8-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Of course we may be alone at this moment in time. Its hard to imagine we would be the only life to exist ever. Its not so hard to imagine we may be the only life existing now (in the miniscule slice of time in which man has existed).

A hundred civilisations could have risen and passed before the first microbe appeared on earth.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think there is a 0% chance we are alone in the universe. But i do think our race should be isolated from the 'galactic neighborhood' until we have calmed and stoped killing our own kind. If we were granted the technology to traverse our galaxy right now, i believe we would only make a mess and bring harm to other life that exists off our planet.

Just imagine how a ET civilisation would look at us. We are so primitive. And its the politicians, murderers, and world leaders that are holding the majority back from evolving to a space faring race.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Not exactly novel.

Pro - In the Abrahamic Religions the one God forbids/ precludes any other sentient creature and man is the pinnacle of creation and is all by himself.

We have never got proof positive that is accepted world wide any other planetary life exists besides ours.

Con - Lots of people say they have witnessed this ET life themselves.
Religion aside, odds are we are not alone.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There is absolutely no way we are alone in the universe. Leave it to the human race to imagine that we are the one and only superior being and that nothing else could exist anywhere else. Some believe the knowledge to traverse to this planet only exists in our understanding of technology. We are still only children of the universe.

Simply put we can be a very ignorant and self centered species. Many can't see past there sense of grandeur. Even when in actuality we are just like lighting bugs in a jar.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

There is life on many other places,it is logical,but we are too busy with killing each other that we got no time nor wish to explore further than Spy satelites to control ourselvs! I am sure we are THE most stupid life form in Universe,that is why nobody who(if) visited us want to stay here for long... "charge batteries....ready go"!!!
Maybe(I hope) some more superrior life form will come to take it over,and I will be GLAD!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Why should we be alone in the universe?
I'm not so sure we're even alone in our own Solar System , who knows what species may exist in the ocean of Europa or in caves on Titan , or Venus or Mars or.......
We could be surrounded by life and just not know it yet .

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
We are definitely not alone. When people ask me this question I draw them a mental model to bring it into perspective the beach theory. Walk the beach pick up one single grain of sand on your fingertip. This is our solar system. Every other grain your standing on is a system.. and look in front of you, and how deep the sand goes.

If you honestly believe that our rock was the only one to produce life in this vastness of beach your not only an arrogant human being but an idiot. (Not the OP, whoever asks me) Not to mention the diversity of life on this planet.

Now the other mind boggler is... who says that we know it all? Who are we to determine was MAKES life in the universe? Who are we to establish what physics are and exist? It really irks me when you see these TV documentaries and they state... the universes building blocks consist of carbon.. THE BASIC Component for LIFE.

WHAT?!?! Who the f*** said this. How do we know that other life forms may not have acid as their basic element. How about energy or light? We dont know jack.. only what we have on our planet. There maybe other life forms composed of elements we dont even know exist and would blow our minds.

We the human race are arrogant and close minded. We think we know it all... and we are gonna get a real eye opener one day.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

It is quite simple, we are not alone. Our only real problem is that we are afraid of any other species that has the intelligence and technology to travel here from very far away. We being the predatory species we are, can on a mass level only think that if they do come here it is to conquer. Odds are they have been here, are here, and observe us like monkeys in a cage.

Until really don't pose a threat to any other species outside of our planet. Once we can, I'll bet good money the non-earth species show up fast and let us know exactly where stand. To think that life will be denied is false. For the uber religious get over it as Jesus said he had other flocks to tend. We as homosapieans do not have a copyright or trademark on life or divinety as much as most would wish we had.

anyways good post and my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by John0Doe

As long as they are not like that out limits episode where we get harvested as a food source! "To Serve Man" great episode, may I offer you a nice chianti! LOL

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks we are alone in this amazingly complex and beautiful universe is
an ignorant fool.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Oh so so true. We dont know it but i bet NASA does.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

I'm not so sure NASA does know , I think they are getting closer to the realization that there is life on Mars and that there is a real possibility that there may be a diverse ecosystem in Europa's Ocean .

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I do not think we are alone.....it just doesn't make sense to have over 200 billion Earth like Planets to be the only one with life. I have no idea....have never met anyone from another planet that I know of.

But I would say.....there has to be other life forms... but thats just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ask the author of life to find out.
Don't make up entities and play God.
ETs from Roswell were make up to cover not telling
the secrets of Tesla's saucer ships and his infinite
power from the environment.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure you are preaching to the choir, OP.

There are not very many people these days who think we are alone in the universe. I think most people feel that it is very likely that ETs exist somewhere in the universe, and probably exist within our galaxy.

However, if you ask whether or not the Earth is being visited by those ETs, well then that's a different story.

edit on 8/10/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: speelling

top topics

join