It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Protests: Over 250,000 join biggest anti-govt rally in Tel Aviv

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Israel Protests: Over 250,000 join biggest anti-govt rally in Tel Aviv

www.youtube.com

On Saturday night, more than a quarter-of-a-million people took to the streets in Israel in the latest show of discontent with the government. That's after three weeks of protests over the soaring cost of living with activists demanding the Prime Minister steps down. Benyamin Netanyahu has responded with a promise of great changes in Israel's economy. A special panel has been set up to deal with the crisis, which has even led to calls for a revolution similar to that in Egypt, with one Tel Aviv street labelled as 'Israeli Tahrir'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.jpost.com

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Not sure if there has been any threads on this yet, did a quick search on 'Tel Aviv' and didn't find anything.

I find it incredible that the Israeli's are comparing themselves and identifying with the Egyptian people through the phrase 'Israeli Tahrir'.

2012 is going to be an interesting year, will we see all of these movements in the Middle East, Europe, escalate? resolve? be suppressed?

I think its quite clear now that there is a general trend of global activism/protests/revolutionary thought, linked together through the internet, popular culture, something in the air, the economy, etc.

We are one humanity, perhaps we are getting in touch with our 'hive mind'.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Here is the video from the headline:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I guess there was a thread about the beginnings of this protest about a week and a half ago, I missed it... haven't been following the news as closely lately:

Israel Erupts in Protest, Tens of Thousands Chant "Revolution"

Approximately 30,000 protesters marched in Tel Aviv last night, with social justice activists blocking central streets and chants of "Mubarak. Assad. Netanyahu" filling the air.

The protests are part of a larger movement that began as opposition to rising housing prices, and indeed is still centered around that issue, but has spread to other social justice and progressive causes.

250,000 is a bit of a jump from 30,000 though. Good to see that the people of Israel are with us. Now if the U.S. would just expand a bit on the protests here...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

It was actually over 300,000 but whats another 50,000.......

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

The more the better, I guess.

I guess its pretty tough to estimate numbers at these types of things, which means its also very easy to manipulate the numbers too...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well with the US economy taking a dive I don't believe this "great change" in their economy is going to be good news, maybe it's the kind of hope and change obama promised?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm just happy that the age of apathy is coming to an end.

They're turning off the TV's, getting off the couch and screaming "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore".

Well, not quite, but it's a start.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Good for them, considering how small of a country they are- the very fact they could bring that many people together is pretty impressive. If only us North Americans could learn to take a day off and block a highway with a party.

Only in my dreams I guess.

On another note, I'm curious about their definition of social justice, and whether any of this protest involves the current palestinian situation.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Benji is gonna fix their economy by asking the US for a trillion dollars and Obama and congress are gonna bow down and empty OUR pockets to fix THEIR economy. I mean really though, Israel don't work for their money. They PIMP for their money.. (speaking of the govt not the people)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
First off, I love your avatar, cowboy bebop is one of the best shows in existence as well as one of the best produced animes of all time.

On topic, protests are becoming all too common, I believe if nothing is done to improve (remove) corruption in governments and improve all economies these will transition quickly from protests to riots.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Thanks. I agree.

And also, as was recently seen in London apparently, the transition from protests to riots is well under way. Especially when you consider there has been, for all intents and purposes, successful revolutions or regime changes in several countries in the middle east already.

These douche bags that think they are special and should run the world are in for a sack of bricks to the face... I mean a wake up call.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Spoiled rotten Israeli's.

They have homes/roofs over their head and they are protesting?

Come on over to America and join the homeless/jobless if you want to see what BAD is really all about.

new topics

top topics

join