It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-million-year-old Ape Skull Unearthed in Uganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Not sure that if this should go here or in crypto... An interesting find either way.

A team of paleontologists have found a 20-million-year-old ape skull in Uganda, they claim it could shed light on the region's evolutionary history.

The fossilised skull belonged to a male Ugandapithecus Major, a remote cousin of today's great apes which roamed the region around 20 million years ago.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9cda348e4d1.jpg[/atsimg]

Preliminary studies of the fossil showed that the tree-climbing herbivore, roughly 10 years old when it died, had a head the size of a chimpanzee's but a brain the size of a baboon's

source

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Here! Is there a pic of said skull? i didn't see one thru the link provided.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

And here....

Lol, really though, I think many christians as well as Non christians don't know this.

The whole first books of the bible? you know where everyone gets all the anti-evolution stuff, young earth and all that, is supposed to be what God told moses, not a direct first person account.

You ever wonder how you would explain life sciences and biology to ancient cultures? wouldn't you have to come up with some analogies to what really happen just so they might get a little bit of what your trying to say? I mean really it seems more that it was more important to get the morals across than the hard science.

AS a christian myself I welcome all scientific endeavor, and do not fear science what so ever.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hey here is a Christian... yeah this story is garbage

Just kidding. Maybe you are not aware of this but some Christians do accept the fact that there are mysteries we do not have the answers for. I do not need to know exactly how old the planet is or if evolution within a species is a real issue for me to have faith in Christ.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is pretty cool. I will have to see if I can find a picture. Evolution is one of the many subjects I am interested in, and I am always fascinated by new discoveries. I don't understand why a Christian would get mad about scientists who claim evolution is how man was created. The reason being, if God did create man, couldn't He/She have used any method they wanted to?

I mean even if God created everything, wouldn't He/She have done so in a coherent manner, that follows physical laws? The same goes with evolution. I think a creator would have created a method, rather than just having everything appear in existence. That is why I think science should strengthen someones faith, not challenge it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Sorry, didn't mean to derail an excellent thread.
Great find.

It is refreshing to see there are some Christians who can maintain their faith
while still being open minded to scientific discoveries that may threaten the popular interpretation
of the King James Bible.

Good for you!

On topic,
does this mean that they have found the missing link or just a different variety of primate?
This may be the primates used to mix with Annunaki DNA in order to bring about the human race for Mining.
That is, if you entertain such notions, which I see no reason not to.
It is just as viable an explination as to how in the hell we got here as any other.
edit on 4-8-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Hi, I think its a cousin of todays great apes not a missing link us...

The fossilised skull belonged to a male Ugandapithecus Major, a remote cousin of today's great apes

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by overseer1136
reply to post by Screwed

Here! Is there a pic of said skull? i didn't see one thru the link provided.

From the BBC:

I know. Disappointing, isn't it?

Nice find, Versa!

Harte

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Actually, that's pretty exciting (in terms of really ancient hominid skulls. Didn't look much like a gorilla, from the pieces I'm seeing -- probably more similar to a baboon.

new topics

top topics

join