It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where did pharaohs live?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this is a very ignorant question but I have searched on teh interwebs and the only answer I have come across is that they lived in brick houses...

Again I'm sorry if this is ignorant but I am a bit confused....

Why would a Pharaoh build tombs like this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/838b2dde8546.jpg[/atsimg]

and Temples like this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b49e0478c2c.jpg[/atsimg]

But live in a brick building? Am I just not seeing the great palaces of Egypt anywhere?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Because (IMO) the pharaohs didn't build the pyramids or the temples. They were there before the first pharaoh took reign in Egypt. Again, thats just my opinion.

And the pyramids weren't tombs. There are zero inscriptions inside the pyramids and no tombs ever found, at least ones with mummies in them.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hope this helps egyptian palaces
edit on 8/4/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

Sorry link works now.
edit on 8/4/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84
reply to post by Versa

Because (IMO) the pharaohs didn't build the pyramids or the temples. They were there before the first pharaoh took reign in Egypt. Again, thats just my opinion.

And the pyramids weren't tombs. There are zero inscriptions inside the pyramids and no tombs ever found, at least ones with mummies in them.

Personally I dont believe the pyramids were tombs either and I also believe the temple at Abydos is earlier than we are told... That is the underlying point.... That being said I would like to know where the Pharaohs were supposed to live....
edit on 4/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Hope this helps www.google.com...=en&xhr=t&q=egyptian+palaces&cp=16&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v4&aql=&oq=egyptian+palaces&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc .r_pw.&fp=4ea61bc7b6b4cebb&biw=1152&bih=626

I thinks something went horribly wrong, but no... so far it hasn't helped, it being just a blank screen

ETA
Your revised version just lead me to some modern hotels etc.... :/

Im looking for grand ruins like those of the temples and pyramids

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well, Amenhotep III lived in a pretty big palace.

www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk...

From what I can tell, the pharaohs did live pretty well, but the palace was not built to last like the temples and monuments to the gods were.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
From what I can tell, the pharaohs did live pretty well, but the palace was not built to last like the temples and monuments to the gods were.

hiya, do you know why that is at all? I have been able to find images of BRICK built palaces but nothing that compares to the stone built monuments or 'tombs'...

Im wondering why? Supposedly these guys were building crazy 'tombs' but were happy to live in a brick house.... there is an inequality there...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Well, the pyramids were not necessarily tombs. The biggest one at Giza had never been opened when it was finally opened up. All that was in there was a granite sarcophagus with no one in it.

This begs the question of what the pyramids were for then? Symbolism. It was a tribute to the gods meant to be a shining picture of Egypt in its golden age.

Also, the pharaohs were known as Nisut, or "one of the people." They were adorned and given responsibilities because the Egyptian people believed him to be channeling the gods, kind of like a Dali lama. As such, they would bury the pharaohs lavishly as well, but the palace is just a temporary place where they live, not a place meant to last after death.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Well, the pyramids were not necessarily tombs. The biggest one at Giza had never been opened when it was finally opened up. All that was in there was a granite sarcophagus with no one in it.

Hiya I am aware of the controversy regarding the purpose of the pyramids, that wasn't actually what I was asking about, what I was asking was if the Egyptians were building these massive constructions then WHY didn't they build palaces the same way?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
I'm sorry if this is a very ignorant question but I have searched on teh interwebs and the only answer I have come across is that they lived in brick houses...

Again I'm sorry if this is ignorant but I am a bit confused....

Why would a Pharaoh build tombs like this
(image of pyramid)
and Temples like this

But live in a brick building? Am I just not seeing the great palaces of Egypt anywhere?

Mud brick is far cooler and far easier to construct and more lightweight -- you can build a lot of elegant structures with them. Stone, while cool, can become stiflingly hot on a hot day and horribly cold on a cold day. Mud brick has tiny air spaces in it that act as an insulator, so the building (on a cold day) stays warmer longer and cool on a hot day longer.

The downside is that they collapse after 500 years or so. Some of the temples are inside palace grounds, which would include living quarters, cooking areas, stables, storehouses, treasure houses, and a lot of other things (such as a house where people wove cloth.)

The pyramid chambers are very small... about the size of your bedroom. They couldn't build a large spacious pyramid shaped structure (with lots of rooms and ventilation inside) from the materials they had and with the technology they had. You can see how extensive they were here:
www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
las vegas

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Mud brick is far cooler and far easier to construct and more lightweight -- you can build a lot of elegant structures with them. Stone, while cool, can become stiflingly hot on a hot day and horribly cold on a cold day. Mud brick has tiny air spaces in it that act as an insulator, so the building (on a cold day) stays warmer longer and cool on a hot day longer.

Thank you, that was the sort of answer I was looking for

are there many remains of Pharaohs abodes left?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Thank you, that was the sort of answer I was looking for

are there many remains of Pharaohs abodes left?

To the best of my knowledge, there are only a few. Here's the problem -- they were built in cities and as a new Pharaoh decided the old palace wasn't worthy (or moved the capital to another city) the old one was left to fall into decay and people came in and plundered remaining bricks and stuff... and then the city gradually began to creep into the space where the palace was. By now there are thousands of years of houses and markets and public buildings (and asphalt roads) lying over them -- and people aren't too keen on archaeologists taking down their houses to see if there's the remains of a palace under them.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Hiya I am aware of the controversy regarding the purpose of the pyramids, that wasn't actually what I was asking about, what I was asking was if the Egyptians were building these massive constructions then WHY didn't they build palaces the same way?

I tried to explain that already. Massive constructions are for religious purposes, meant to last long after death as a symbol of immortality.

A pharaoh's palace is only a temporary living space, not meant to last forever, just like his body (though through the process of mummification, Egyptians perfected a way of preserving the body very well.).

It would be like saying "why build a massive, sturdy warehouse and then choose to live in a brick mansion?" The purposes they serve are entirely different.

top topics

join