It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to use the Alert feature too much?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by Greensage
How many times a day does the Alert get activated? Must be like a never-ending "in" box with a poor Mod sitting there praying for Friday to roll around I would imagine!

Actually, it's a forum that looks like every other forum. Every Alert generates a thread in that forum, which can be read by all staff. Complaint/Suggestion works the same way.

I've heard that your Alerts are counted in your "threads started" count.

That's why some people's profiles will show them having authored numerous threads but, their list of threads may be much shorter.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I have only read the first two posts...
I only use the alert feature to bring disturbing posts
and threads to the staffs' attention.Using the feature
for one-liners' is a waste of time,but,hey...whatever
floats your boat.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm rather stunned that people are policing each other on what would seem like trivial matters. To me, it's like wondering if I should call the city because my neighbor's grass is 1" over the city ordinance's height. Maybe I'm too new here to understand WHY one line comments are more annoying than comments that go on and on and on and on and on.....without saying anything! I'll review the rules. I wasn't aware that they were so important. I do remember something in the rules about misspelling words, but that didn't stop the mod. Who on earth would hit the alert button for THAT? Just saying......chill out.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
will you be reporting the one liners in this thread too..?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
lol

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

yeah, lol...I have never once used the feature. The mods do a good job of monitoring. I would never think it myplace unless illegal posting to nat on another poster...really? 200 some alerts? I will stay away from the op's threads in the future, thanks!

CJ
edit on 3-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
i have used it, lol,

yes, there was a period where i felt i was getting slammed by the mods for basically responding to really nasty posts in the same manner.

hence MY posts were censored and not the other.

i put 2+2 together.

besides not taking the bait anymore i did a couple alerts myself.

but 1 liners should not be alerted, imo, sometimes there is not much more to say.

thanks mods for being fair!

eta; slightly more complicated but that's the jist of it.
edit on 3-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Now and then, a thread or post pops up that is worth alerting. Last year a guy posted a thread that linked to the Faces of Death videos, others try and sell stuff, post their own private details or get drunk and offensive.

In a different situation, a post-banned guy was u2uing me to post hoaxed material in a thread of his. The guy was a fraud looking for people to invest money with his schemes. His plan was to fake a cover-up of a bomb in New York that he predicted and hope members would invest in the markets based on his magic code. Exploiting terrorism and screwing over members for money was OTT so I PMd a mod and left them to it. A couple months later, I saw he'd been banned. He's still got websites

@ Neonitus and Purplemeyer - I've alerted the mods (one each) for the 1-liners and emailed Fox News

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Now and then, a thread or post pops up that is worth alerting. Last year a guy posted a thread that linked to the Faces of Death videos, others try and sell stuff, post their own private details or get drunk and offensive.

In a different situation, a post-banned guy was u2uing me to post hoaxed material in a thread of his. The guy was a fraud looking for people to invest money with his schemes. His plan was to fake a cover-up of a bomb in New York that he predicted and hope members would invest in the markets based on his magic code. Exploiting terrorism and screwing over members for money was OTT so I PMd a mod and left them to it. A couple months later, I saw he'd been banned. He's still got websites

@ Neonitus and Purplemeyer - I've alerted the mods (one each) for the 1-liners and emailed Fox News

Kandinski - funny - you hit upon something I was thinking about starting a thread on - when I was in 7th grade, FACES OF DEATH came out...it showed mostly fake but many real death scenes...now, I can see the same only 100x's worse daily on the internet! Many vids are posted here on ATS that are WAY worse than any FOD production...we have been desensitised. 20 years ago it was illegal. I cannot tell you the horrors that exist on any number of sites...FOD is WAY outdated and does not even register anymore. It is a sick world if one looks momnetarily...

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

In your profile it says you have started 431 threads, but when you look at your threads it only shows 200. Each time you alert, it creates a thread in one of the mod forums.

So you have alerted around 231 times...unless some of those are 404'd threads.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

It's a good thread idea and could potentially get dozens of posts. Are we desensitised or did we use to be *over* sensitised? Good questions.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I don't know - perhaps I am oversensitized...is it me, or is your avatar getting excited over this conversation?

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

In your profile it says you have started 431 threads, but when you look at your threads it only shows 200. Each time you alert, it creates a thread in one of the mod forums.

So you have alerted around 231 times...unless some of those are 404'd threads.

true!

that's what they told me!

he must be on a first name basis with all the mods! lol.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I have only pressed the alert button maybe twice to three times from memory, and that was to address pretty nasty pasty posts.
Personally I believe anyone who is goading someone into a bannable offence, should be banned themselves, as this in my opinion is the height of cowardice and sociopathic tendency.
But hey you grow wise and ignore the baiters in all their disguises.
But anyone who ignores a personal attack is just watering the offenders.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Maybe the alert button would be best used for those paid for comments posted by employees of the government or media. I'm sure we all know which type of comments I am speaking of. (The ones that claim that there is NO radiation in Japan and the the seafood is safe in the Gulf or those that follow the format of paid posts....with insult and degradation at the end for thinking differently.)

Why don't the mods delete those comments?

Maybe a new fancy box that says something on it...like the manners & decorum box.....

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

There seems to be something to it...

I am glad this woman does not use the ATS alert function

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I used to never use the alert feature, but after I received a point deduction and a red flag for using the word "mook"......

I have decided to fight the obvious and blatant "preferential treatment" of some of the members by the mods, by alerting of misconduct by those in the "favored" status. New members I can cut some slack.
But the ad hominum attacks has grown to epidemic proportions lately. Some members get away with it all the time and others have their post flagged almost immediately.

edit on 3-8-2011 by whaaa because: code 8

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Whatever next.

Using the alert button for spelling mistakes. Jeeezz.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

There are over 50,000 posts every week. We do our best to moderate the board evenly and fairly but with the number of new posts and threads every day we can't catch everything. You see a serious breach,(new or old member) help us out and alert it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join