It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to use the Alert feature too much?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I just finished alerting seven posts in a single thread for being one-liners, but now I'm worried the ATS staff might be thinking I'm flooding the alert system. As long as all the alerts are legitimate, is there no limit to the amount of alerts one can do in a single time period?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If your picky. your picky.....I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Short answer - yes.

We usually don't expect alerts for "one line" posts.

Staff appreciates alerts on major T&C violations, such as name calling and other rudeness, etc.

thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

The message under the alert box says:

We encourage members to alert us to posts that might be a potential problem. However, please be aware that this feature is intended for flagrant violations of our Terms & Conditions such as trouble makers, insults, inappropriate content, and potential copyright violations. This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

Sure, one liners may get annoying but, I'm not sure the mods need to be alerted to every one. Maybe just one alert for the thread pointing out that there were multiple one liners would be best?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

The message under the alert box says:

We encourage members to alert us to posts that might be a potential problem. However, please be aware that this feature is intended for flagrant violations of our Terms & Conditions such as trouble makers, insults, inappropriate content, and potential copyright violations. This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

Sure, one liners may get annoying but, I'm not sure the mods need to be alerted to every one. Maybe just one alert for the thread pointing out that there were multiple one liners would be best?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
What you might want to do, is simply Alert the thread and tell staff your concerns. That way they can look through it without being flooded with Alerts.

ETA: should have read the whole thread first.
edit on 1-8-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to posts by FortAnthem and InvisibleAlbatross

Oh, so I should just alert the opening post and explain that the thread contains multiple one-liner posts? I guess that makes more sense than alerting them all individually.
edit on 8/1/2011 by SonicInfinity because: Term fix

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Maybe re-read the TC page . One liners are aloud as long as the post adds to the topic .

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Hmmm..

Are you declaring yourself the 1 liner police?

If so..why?

just stay on topic and don't worry if people post 1 liners..

kinda makes you sound like a tattle-tell...

right????

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

That's what I have done in the past, but it was for multiple posts that were way off-topic and breaking the T&C.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

By my reckoning you've posted over 200 alerts since 2008. It seems quite a lot, but on the other hand, members could probably find something to alert about every day.

I'm guessing I've neg-alerted maybe less than 15 times since joining up and pos-alerted 25+ (applause requests).

Altogether, it's probably best to let the Mods go about their thing without too many distractions and only yell 'Fire!' when there is a fire.

Complaining about 1-liners is like telling the teacher that Joey Smith is chewing gum in class.

In the 'Grand Scheme of All that Matters'....it doesn't, does it?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
I just finished alerting seven posts in a single thread for being one-liners, but now I'm worried the ATS staff might be thinking I'm flooding the alert system. As long as all the alerts are legitimate, is there no limit to the amount of alerts one can do in a single time period?

I was wondering who kept ratting me out. Now I know, and don't think for a minute that the voodoo doll and pins won't be in their shrine tonite.
edit on 2-8-2011 by whaaa because: code 8

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
What is a "one liner" ? Is that like a punch line?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
How many times a day does the Alert get activated? Must be like a never-ending "in" box with a poor Mod sitting there praying for Friday to roll around I would imagine!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I don't see the moderator status in your avatar section. Did you use to be a moderator? If so, how do you know how many alerts I have posted since 2008?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
omg I didn't even know what the alert button was for...

ha ha ha ... when I see a post that is naughty, I go through and find which mod is on and u2u them...

:bnghd: thx for educating me !!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I've alerted posts several times - sometimes posts made by moderators. Usually it is because I feel the post is deceitful (that is, somehow misleading), intended to promote hate, or intentionally divisive. I appreciate attempts to promote dialogue, but (and even for that reason) I have little patience for attempts to create controversy - at least the kind of controversy that is inherently and understandably insolvable.

If there is any truth in the fable of God confusing man's language, it is certainly an apocryphal fable, meant to remind us that those who would stop us from reaching heaven do so by confusing our speech.

Man used to be lost, but now he has lost even his address. We are no longer lost, but homeless - when paradise was our birthright.

Language is the key; it is the map of all ideas, and when we allow the words we use to be dictated by bullies and tyrants, we don't just "change the way we say things"; no, we rip off and throw away a part of the map.

tldr; Alert posts that are dangerous (provoke violence or hate), are gleefully divisive, or intentionally deceitful. Don't alert because you strongly disagree with a poster's ideology - if he presents it in good spirit and with a desire to communicate and teach.

My two cents.

-R
edit on 2-8-2011 by RedBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Oh, so I should just alert the opening post and explain that the thread contains multiple one-liner posts? I guess that makes more sense than alerting them all individually.

1) If there's a problem thread, submit one alert and explain what issues might be there.

2) Please don't alert for 1-line posts specifically. We'd prefer the Alerts be confined to serious T&C infractions like incivility, trolling, pr0n, gore, spam, etc. The fact is, you'll never know whether post has been actioned for being a one-liner, since no graphic appears when a post is actioned for that. It just submits an auto U2U to the offender with, I think, a 20 point ding.

For the benefit of those who don't know, there's nothing wrong with a post consisting of one line. The infraction is when it's one line and doesn't advance the topic. Examples-

Great post
Star and Flag
I agree
You're wrong
Good job, I'll read this later

Etc. Those would all be examples of posts consisting of one line that don't advance the topic.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
How many times a day does the Alert get activated? Must be like a never-ending "in" box with a poor Mod sitting there praying for Friday to roll around I would imagine!

Actually, it's a forum that looks like every other forum. Every Alert generates a thread in that forum, which can be read by all staff. Complaint/Suggestion works the same way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join