It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Toxins From Genetically Modified Plants Found in Women and Fetuses

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Dangerous Toxins From Genetically Modified Plants Found in Women and Fetuses

www.responsibletechnology.org

When U.S. regulators approved Monsanto’s genetically modified “Bt” corn, they knew it would add a deadly poison into our food supply. That’s what it was designed to do. The corn’s DNA is equipped with a gene from soil bacteria called Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) that produces the Bt-toxin. It’s a pesticide; it breaks open the stomach of certain insects and kills them.

But Monsanto and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) swore up and down that it was only insects that would be hurt. The Bt-toxin, they claimed, would be completely destroyed in the human digestive system and n
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This story is just verifying what I have been saying all along. GMO crops are very dangerous and should be stopped! Tampering with mother nature can have some serious consequences. More importantly, there should be labeling on foods containing GMO's so we as consumers know what NOT to buy! It's a sad state of affairs when the very agencies tasked with guarding your health allow this sort of thing to take place!

www.responsibletechnology.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Thanks for this heads-up link to the research paper that is forthcoming on the matter. The fact that the BT Toxin from Monsanto's GMO will be shown as accumulating in people, but especially women, pregnant women, and fetuses should cause red alarms with regulators... at least those who are left to look after public health interests.

It is reasonable to speculate that Monsanto could be on the radar for a large class-action lawsuit related to illnesses from BT Toxins their products have introduced into North America's human food supply.

U.S. and Canadian government departments who are reviewing other pending GMO approval applications should, one would hope, delay these considerations a little longer, while this new science is reviewed.

EDIT: Please see link for first news at www.dailymail.co.uk...

Also, the comments for this article, amusing to see reference to "conspiracy theorists". Finally, the news article reports that the science was discredited by Uk based, Agriculture Biotechnology Council, an industry organization www.abcinformation.org... . It would be interesting to find out the facts behind their assertions. Its Chair works for Bayer, and its Vice-Chair, for Monsanto. Interesting, n'est-ce pas?

Finally, a quick search of Elsevier (publisher of Reproductive Toxicology) does not return a reference to BT-toxin...yet?
edit on 1-8-2011 by surfin4it because: added link and comments from and about UK Daily Mail as original source of this news

edit on 1-8-2011 by surfin4it because: added links to and about, UK Daily News and Agriculture Biotechnology Council

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I am going to talk to my doctor about having blood tests done for evidence of BT-toxin. I would think that if it is in fact in my blood stream, I should have a case for a class action suit! If it's in my blood, then I bet it is in my childs blood, and that would constitute child endangerment charges as well.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

According to the UK Daily Mail, this study, which “appears to blow a hole in” safety claims, “has triggered calls for a ban on imports and a total overhaul of the safety regime for genetically modified (GM) crops and food.” Organizations from England to New Zealand are now calling for investigations and for GM crops to be halted due to the serious implications of this finding
This is big news, and makes me very happy. It puts a big dint in the whole GM scam. An important win for the people.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

why are these alledged toxins not found in men ???????????????

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Maybe the researchers only tested women (pregnant and not)?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

the sad thing is all the people that saw this comming and they still refused to do anything even label the c**p i think all the farmers should have a nice class action lawsuit for losses for their current crops that they should not be able to sell. and any feild that was contaminated that are usually sued by monsanto so food prices rising again ehh
edit on 1-8-2011 by jonco6 because: fun

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Terrible, terrible, terrible....

Why can't we just go back to the good ol' days of DDT...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There are also other side effects of this. Their seeds are resistant to Roundup, called Roundup Ready. One of the issues is that once a farmer starts using it, it renders the land useless for anything but their GMO seeds.

Monsanto Sues PA Farmer

However, the crop is about the only thing that lives in the dead zone the spray down can often create. Additional, GMOs are often monoculture crops which can cause erosion. Contamination with other non-modified crops is another inherit problem. Once crops unintentionally become contaminated there's no turning back.

So now you have a twofold problem. The crop contains deadly bacteria, and once it is planted, nothing else will grow and it forces the farmers to continue to grow it. Failure to do so would result in the farmer losing his land.

If you are concerned about what you eat and want some guidance on avoiding GMO foods, then here is a good site that can help.

Non-GMO Shopping Guide
edit on 1-8-2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Aug 1 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

These are the same guys who made DDT if that's any consolation.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It is good seeing some more peer review pressure building against this monstrosity. The generational studies where mice have been feed GMO for a few generations is devastating to the species resulting in abnormal growths and infertility. It is a crime bigger than 9/11 in what Monsanto have done and continue to do. Their science is for sale and their actions without conscience. It is also good to see some countries waking up and banning this gross perversion of nature all for the dollar.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

There is also the issue of eating meat from animals that have been fed GMO feed. There have been numerous health issues documented from animals consuming this feed stock. So when you eat the meat, you are inadvertently eating the GMO feed as well. Follow that up with cross pollination of crops, and very soon it will be impossible to label anything organic! Ultimately this will be our demise. Not a war, but our food will end up killing us.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

We never used that yet had wonderful food. Think about it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

We never used that yet had wonderful food. Think about it.

In 1962, Silent Spring by American biologist Rachel Carson was published. The book catalogued the environmental impacts of the indiscriminate spraying of DDT in the US and questioned the logic of releasing large amounts of chemicals into the environment without fully understanding their effects on ecology or human health.

The book suggested that DDT and other pesticides may cause cancer and that their agricultural use was a threat to wildlife, particularly birds. Its publication was one of the signature events in the birth of the environmental movement, and resulted in a large public outcry that eventually led to DDT being banned in the US in 1972.[4]

• Farmers used DDT on a variety of food crops in the United States and worldwide. DDT was also used in buildings for pest control.

People are exposed to DDT, DDE, and DDD mainly by eating foods containing small amounts of these compounds. Even though DDT has not been used in this country since 1972, soil has small amounts of DDT and DDE and, under certain conditions, contaminated soil transfers DDT to crops.

Imported foods may have been directly exposed to DDT. The amount of DDT in crops has decreased and is expected to continue to go down. In the United States, people in 1981 ate an average of 0.001 part of DDT and DDE per million parts of food (ppm) with root and leafy vegetables having the highest amount. Meat, fish, and poultry also contain very low levels of these compounds. Infants may be exposed by drinking breast milk.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You are going to find it a lot more difficult to find truly organic foods in the near future due to cross-pollination.

Shipment of organic soybeans tests 20% GMO

So one organic supplier is almost out of business due to this. Some biotech analysts believe that three can be no co-existence between organic seed and GMO seed because of cross-pollination. I for one agree. I saw a video of a soybean farmer who said he could no longer get 100% organic seed. He used to export to China, but can't anymore because of this. His shipments were showing GMO seed in his organic crops. Yes, just because it says organic, it may not be. If we don't stop this soon, we may all be doomed.

Here is a video fo the farmer talking about his soybeans.

edit on 1-8-2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Everytime I read something about mosanto and their poison, it makes me so Angry!!

Those b*****ds need to be stop before it's to late... If it's not already!!
edit on 1/8/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I try my best to avoid these GM foods but living in a big city, it is quite difficult sometimes. i buy organic when i can, but they are so expensive.
Even then i cant guarantee they are really 100% organic. i constantly read the labels before i buy, and its not often i see gmo on the product. Either they dont put it on the label or they are just not as common in the uk, i sincerely hope its the latter.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join