It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrible Development! Ridiculous Compromise yet again!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Yes. Ron Paul has my vote.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This is giving me flashbacks to 1982 when the Reagan budget kept getting bounced back and forth like a volleyball and nothing could get decided. Anyone else remember it?
At the time there were cries raised of having a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution. Fortunately, our forebears were smart enough to not allow a Constitutional convention to convene. Once that happens the entire Constitution can be rewritten, legally.
We came close to disaster before.

This time they are pitching the idea of a "Super Congress" to make decision making easier. Unfortunately, this relegates the remaining members of Congress to puppet status while the real decisions would be make by a "dirty dozen" if you will.
The old Soviet Union had just such a group - the Supreme Soviet, a handful of Politburo hotshots that ran the country.

If this is where we're headed the country will either fall as a Republic or convulse in revolution.
This is a naked power grab and high treason against the people of the United States.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I mean, Obama's ok. He probably won't get my vote next election, though. I'm thinking Huntsman.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I am not really a political person, although even I notice that this is completely out of hand, and that the only way to cut our losses is not to increase anything, it's to stop fighting where we shouldn't be at an astronomical cost per day.

Come home, sit down at the kitchen table and deal with the bills like every other good country instead of putting it off hoping it will go away, or paying it with a different credit card.

For some reason the US government and the average citizen seem to fit into this picture very well:

King

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
So I guess when Obama was shouting "we want change" during the presidential campaign, I guess he was right. Pocket change that is. For this generation and all coming generations.

I don't know what the repercussions of this will be for the rest of the world, but I'm sure this is good only for a very few select people.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Cheney said deficits don't matter and it is the one thing he may have been right about. The kids will be all right. This nonsense too will pass.

What we need right now is for the Government to spend well over $1 Trillion (begged borrowed or stolen) on public works projects to get the long unemployed back to work. Once people are working again and spending money then all the wussy Corps hopefully will get back in the game. When they see a lot of money to be made hopefully they will bail out of the conspiracy to keep the economy in deep recession so as to defeat Mr Obama (which may be the one REAL conspiracy hiding in plain sight and never mentioned on this site).

We also need to destroy the RepublicanTeaparty political party now that it has turned thuggish.

Ron Paul is not the answer. Hell is he is not even the question. And his kid Rand is an absolute brat.

Ok So most everyone at ATS has little use for Barack Obama. Would you rather have Willard Romney or Michele "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann or Rick "The Hair" Perry? If you get Perry you are fracked

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lunatux

Wow.

I definitely don't want Romney, Bachmann, or Perry.

Ron Paul is the Answer!! BUT, I would take Marco Rubio.

The $1Trillion for Public Works was already spent on Corporate Bailouts, while record profits were being made! Obama promised us public works, he pushed through the spending bill, and the works never materialized, just fat cat bonuses. The economy never recovered, the jobs were never created, and nothing ever trickled down.

So, here we are at the precipice yet again, we raised the ceiling another $1T, and we passed another toothless bill, and yet the credit rating is still going down the toilet, the global stocks are still tumbling, and the gold market is still reaching record highs.

Your way didn't work either. Just another $2T for our kids to carry the burden. In fact, over the 10 year term of this bill, it is more like $20T for our kids to burden. The debt ceiling is doubling about every 5 years. My 4 year old can expect $40T in debt when he graduates high school!

The GDP is not doubling every 5 years, so the deficit is growing and the likelihood of recovering is evaporating fast.

Sorry. There is no way to paint this situation more dire than real. It is just about as bad as it can possibly be, and it is getting worse by the moment. It is impossible to exaggerate, because it is already a worst-case scenario.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Reagan raised it 18 times and Bush 3 OMG! But wait, by how much? Oh oh....

Lets see according to the White Houses own records at

www.whitehouse.gov...

Reagan raised it $1.82T over his 2 terms or $0.91T per term.
HW Bush $1.28T in 1 term
Clinton $1.58T in 2 terms or $0.79T per term
GW Bush $4.92T in 2 terms or $2.46T per term
Obama $4.79T in 0.65 terms

Obama almost passing GW Bush's 2 term total, but in just over half of his first term.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibtek
Reagan raised it 18 times and Bush 3 OMG! But wait, by how much? Oh oh....

Lets see according to the White Houses own records at

www.whitehouse.gov...

Reagan raised it $1.82T over his 2 terms or $0.91T per term.
HW Bush $1.28T in 1 term
Clinton $1.58T in 2 terms or $0.79T per term
GW Bush $4.92T in 2 terms or $2.46T per term
Obama $4.79T in 0.65 terms

Obama almost passing GW Bush's 2 term total, but in just over half of his first term.

Yep all a bunch of back and forth BS.

When your kids keep blaming each other about who did what, do you stand there listening or do you tell them to be shut up and get the cleaning done?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

If this is where we're headed the country will either fall as a Republic or convulse in revolution.
This is a naked power grab and high treason against the people of the United States.

Very well put.

It deserves to be repeated again.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

THATS right, put the blame where it belong, the Democrats under Obama, in NY we lost a chance to get the Olympics and a new statium but a DEMOCART, in lower Manhatten said NO, meaning NYers where not good enough, NY State lost 1 Billion dollars in Taxes over 10 years, YET they all will Retire Millionairs, with full Health, THIS is what the Dems in Washington are Doing getting people let yourself, to go without the real facts, its your Furture benefits. In case you did not do your homework, THE Olympics bring JOBS and Housing, thats four years of jobs and benefits lost, to NYers.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by lunatux

Cheney said deficits don't matter and it is the one thing he may have been right about. The kids will be all right. This nonsense too will pass.

No this will not pass! This type of financial insanity is unsustainable! Try balancing your check book this way and see how long you last... You cannot defy mathematics. Simply put we are at the end of the fiat currency/debt expansion based economy cycle and this was the final nail in the coffin....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If the government won't listen to the people regarding the wasteful wars and the impossible debt... perhaps it's time we just stopped sending them our money?

Here is what my senator, Patty Murray, wrote me today:

Over the course of the last month, Washington state families have written me in record numbers to lend their voice to the debt ceiling debate. Many, who had never e-mailed or called their elected official before, wrote to ask for compromise and sanity in this debate. They told me about the tough but reasonable choices they made to rein in their own finances and how they couldn’t understand why it was so difficult for Washington, D.C. to do the same. That’s why I voted this week to raise the debt-ceiling and avoid default. I voted to prevent the United States from defaulting on its obligations for the first time in our nation’s history.

Her reason for voting FOR this debt increase. Her state's constituents have made "tough but reasonable choices" .. "to rein in their own finances".

What did she do?

She voted to spend more money and increase the debt ceiling.

There is only one political parties in Washington DC just one: LIARS.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Does anyone know...is there a way to combine threads?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Especially for seniors: journals.democraticunderground.com...

They don't want us around, and will do what it takes to let us die off, or kill us.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by lunatux

Wow.

I definitely don't want Romney, Bachmann, or Perry.

Ron Paul is the Answer!! BUT, I would take Marco Rubio.

The $1Trillion for Public Works was already spent on Corporate Bailouts, while record profits were being made! Obama promised us public works, he pushed through the spending bill, and the works never materialized, just fat cat bonuses. The economy never recovered, the jobs were never created, and nothing ever trickled down.

So, here we are at the precipice yet again, we raised the ceiling another $1T, and we passed another toothless bill, and yet the credit rating is still going down the toilet, the global stocks are still tumbling, and the gold market is still reaching record highs.

Your way didn't work either. Just another $2T for our kids to carry the burden. In fact, over the 10 year term of this bill, it is more like $20T for our kids to burden. The debt ceiling is doubling about every 5 years. My 4 year old can expect $40T in debt when he graduates high school!

The GDP is not doubling every 5 years, so the deficit is growing and the likelihood of recovering is evaporating fast.

Sorry. There is no way to paint this situation more dire than real. It is just about as bad as it can possibly be, and it is getting worse by the moment. It is impossible to exaggerate, because it is already a worst-case scenario.

How about President Sarah Palin / VP Marco Rubio?

I could see that very easily. Both want the size of the U.S. government reduced.
The entire world is looking to America to get its act together.
Lets get started.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Man that would give me ulcers. I don't really like Palin, but I love Rubio, and I hate the status quo. That combination would definitely shake up the status quo!

Can you see Palin at a UN meeting? Or in a room with Putin and his military advisors? Scary thought, but then again, imagining Obama in that same room is pretty dam scary as well!!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The part that really pisses me off is the cuts from safety net and medical programs
. It's like wow really guys? You're totally fine still funding warfare and greasing your palms with a pretty penny but you're gonna screw the little guys? OUT OF ALL THE PROGRAMS TO CUT THOSE SEEM REASONABLE? How about you lower the salary you get every freaking year huh? Like it would kill you to lose a couple of grand and stop having parties on your yachts for the good of the country. No no can't do that.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil12day
The part that really pisses me off is the cuts from safety net and medical programs
. It's like wow really guys? You're totally fine still funding warfare and greasing your palms with a pretty penny but you're gonna screw the little guys? OUT OF ALL THE PROGRAMS TO CUT THOSE SEEM REASONABLE? How about you lower the salary you get every freaking year huh? Like it would kill you to lose a couple of grand and stop having parties on your yachts for the good of the country. No no can't do that.

I am weary of reading people's comments believing it is government's responsibility to provide a "safety net". Where is personal responsibility? What have you done to prepare for any of life's potholes you may encounter? Getting educated in preparation for a job and saving for your own retirement instead of relying on the government to do it for you is a start. Too many Americans do not plan for their own future. Illegal immigrants do the work Americans will not do while many Americans sit at home watching their TV. Almost 50% do not pay taxes and yet believe the ones who do should pay more for their medical programs, education, food stamps to eat, etc...

Many countries that have played a bigger role in people's lives providing a "safety net", do so with a much higher tax rate. This is what the left wing "progressives" want. "Obama care" is a good example of a "safety net" program shoved through Congress without many of the elected officials even reading the bill or intelligently discussing the cost of funding of the bill.

Americans need to exercise their freedom of choice to manage their own income and use the market to shop for the companies that will support them for different contingencies. Freedom of choice creates more competition for a better system to prevail. The government should be left to assuring commerce for free trade and defense. Name one single efficient well managed government program. There isn't one I am aware of. Does it make any sense to let the government regulate your life by making more decisions for you? I think not!

Our country is broke trying to regulate so many "safety nets" for people who cannot plan for themselves and have strayed from their constitutional rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", by sitting on their ass and whining why the government doesn't take better care of them.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join