It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you prepared lately for SHTF? We just bought $560 worth Grocery's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So I was talking to my Mum today about the US and the possible default.

I live in Australia.
So I let my mum know how dire the US debt default situation is, and that the whole world will be affected if the US does default.
I let her know about the $850 million bet that someone made and that they stood to gain $10 billion if it did.

I let her know that an economy like the US would probably print lots of money and possibly default that way, through Hyper-inflation.
I let her know that there are about 4 million home owners in the US who are currently not paying their mortgages, and soon the US government will force the banks to take that loss.
I told her I was worried about my Super, and her Super, my dads superannuation. Because lots of super trust funds have lots of shares and the sharemarket will go down.
I let her know that if the US does default, the stock markets will likely lose about 3000 points in one day, and about 2000 points the next.
That the price of gold, silver and commodities, including food stuff would go up, and inflation would likely sky-rocket.

I told her about Greece and the bail-out they received is not what they need. They don't need more debt stacked on top of debt that they already cant pay. I let her know that this is exactly what the US is doing.

After all that, I took my dog for a walk. I came back half an hour later and my mum was so worried, she and I went grocery shopping, for essentials, food stuffs, long life stuff, seeds to grow our own food also if need arises, water, etc

The Grocery Bill was $560!!! Ok so a bit overboard maybe, but at least we are prepared better if SHTF, and my mum is less worried.

On the way out to the car my Mum stopped by the alcohol shop, and she chatted away to the checkout lady, and told her what we just did. She had a good laugh and said "Don't worry, My Boyfriend and I read up about 2012, and have made plans for a holiday to Mum and Dads in the country, with horses and lots of seeds"!!! ;-P

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
There needs to be someone doing something like this in Australia but there isn't. The only people I could find who are doing survival rations are a small business in Invercargill NZ. I'm thinking of investing in an industrial grade food dehydrator and setting up shop, but there's going to be a lot of other costs involved. If there's enough interest in it I'll definitely take the plunge though.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Lots of people are worried there on the Gold Coast... here in the states too
But maybe yours is a better explanation of why gun licence applications has surged 36% in the following months
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ahh Australia, a saudade! I miss that place.

I guess I have in a way prepared myself kind of unintentionally for any bad case scenario. I taught myself to hunt and fish and growing small crops of food is no problem for, we always did have a large garden when I was a kid living with my family.

I think the best way to prepare yourself for any kind of global meltdown is not to rely too much on stocking up on not perishable foods because food caches can be raided, also they will be inconvenient to move around in case you have to travel. So survival skills are provlably more important in the long term.

I doubt that any holocaust type scenario will actually happen though. But a depression of economy is more likely. So I guess it's best to stock up on things like flour and yeast to bake your own bread for saving of money, and maybe if you have room, start getting some chickens and maybe breeding them for infinite supply of meat and eggs (and feathers if you want to stuff your pillows and blankets).

Also remember that goldfish are edible.

Start saving some money too. It might not be worth much in case of bad scenario, but it's better to have it than not have it. Maybe stock up some possessions you can easily barter as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Excellent choice bro. better to be safe than sorry, even if nothing happens you can grow a #load of veggies!

but seriously, best of luck in Oz. i feel weird even saying that, as if you should need luck to carry on with your life.

live in peace, and set an example. people respond better to examples than direct confrontation. think of it as sewing "idea seeds", no pun intended.

i live in Pennsylvania and we got lots of farmland in most of this beautiful state. Im no genius, but i would suggest people move to high farmland areas in a SHTF scenario, at least you can trade labor for food, small parcel of land, etc. since i imagine gas, elec. will be hard to come by making huge farming equip almost useless.

Back to good ol' manual labor! id take that life !

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Most of my family have been doing the same. I am more concerned of potential X class solar flares than of defaulting on debt.

Everyone should keep an eye on solar activity for the next few days. www.spaceweather.com... Nothing like a zap to electrical infrastructure to create hell on earth.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
We've had an intuition for years that something was on the way, without any knowledge of what it is, so we ended up moving to a big old stone farm house high in the mountains, with a few natural water sources. We got us some animals and even old farming equipment to be pulled by our horse!

Last week I shut down my grocery store and took home so much food we won't have to buy anything for a year! We're stocking all the canned and bottled stuff and vacuuming packing the packages of flour and such. Our basement is full, we are stocking up on tools and ammo, I'm printing out instructions on preparing meats and foods, skins, medicinal herbs, first aid......

If nothing happens, no big deal, but if it does, I'll feel more prepared than not. We're in Europe and the potential fall of the euro is one possibility for us to think about. The people here are NOT going to be all self disciplined and calm like in Japan- the latin peoples are very reactive and will go nutso quickly.
edit on 29-7-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Im sorry to say but if SHTF your 560 worth of grocerys are only going to last you what, 2-3 months tops. Where are you going to get your water? what happens when you run out of food? do you have seeds to start a garden? do you have live stock to breed and eat later?

you need to think long term. Short term will not get you anywhere but 6 feet under
edit on 29-7-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I sure have increased the level of committement to getting my emergency plans together, I have bought foods, seeds for the grden, ammunition, a water storage tank, I still need more food, gas reserve, and more medical suplies. maybe a little more ammo. I have been buying stuff 2 to 3 times a week lately.
EDIT TO ADD: I recently bought 4 egg layen chicks.
edit on 29-7-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Im sorry to say but if SHTF your 560 worth of grocerys are only going to last you what, 2-3 months tops. Where are you going to get your water? what happens when you run out of food? do you have seeds to start a garden? do you have live stock to breed and eat later?

you need to think long term. Short term will not get you anywhere but 6 feet under

Get over yourself. You're the type of person who will criticize someone no matter how many supplies they buy.

Unless someone is living on a full farm (livestock & dozen acre produce growing) in the country side (300 miles from major population center), near a pure water source (no upstream pollution), with a full hardened bunker, full solar power set up, 100,000 gallon fuel supply and generators, multi-family compound, 10 year food supply, and enough guns & ammo to repel the Mexican army, you are going to chime in and criticize them how under prepared they are.

Fact is, these folks are more prepared than 98% of the people out there, even with just their first $560 purchase. So lighten up and don't be so critical.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Do not go to the outside image link. This is a very dodgy post to say the least. If there's a virus in there I am going to be a not very happy bunny

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Yes, I have been preparing. I started about 2 years ago with buying non perishable food. After I believed I had enough I moved on to buying gold and silver, and applied for my pistol permit.

I do not make very much money, but slow and steady wins the race. Every step I take to prepare is one more step in advance of the sheeple herd that will inevitably come

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Dawn good post

I'm doing what i can but the misses has the plan to sit down and die if the electric goes off so it's not easy.

I've only got to be right once and i think we must be getting close

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

X-class flares are a bit nasty, but I wouldn't be too concerned unless it reaches an X6+ for anything drastic to happen. We had an X1 earlier this year and it messed with the satellite TV a bit, but not much more.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Yes the $560 groceries will last a couple months.
We have two 10,000 gallon rain tanks, and 25 litres of fresh noble purea table water, as well as tap water.
WE bought plenty of seeds yesterday, that we can grow in our vegie garden.
All I wanted to do was be prepared if things happen on august 2nd, that we have beat a possible run on the shops. That we already have a full tank of gas in our cars, Seeds to grow, Water to drink.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ammo, Seed, a case of bic lighters, roll of plastic sheeting, cb radio, generator, iodine, 250 gallon of fuel, salt, 28 cords of wood, hone stones, batteries and charger, hooks line and sinkers, the foxfire series, wire, tools, axe, machete, medical supplies, shelter and a support group of locals 24 strong committed to respect loyalty honor and freedom. Prepare but dont panic.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
For about $15 you can get 50 pounds of rolled oats, $10 you can get 50 pounds of cracked corn. Both from feed supply companies. It would be horrid to have to eat to live, instead of live to eat with this but it's better than what happens to everyone in the book "One Second After".

If the corn or oats go bad mix it into your garden for mulch. During "the event" both can be used as bait to capture protein as well as you can eat it.

Mighty cheap insurance policy to have 500 pounds of oats and corn in 80 GL sealed plastic trash containers. Sprinkle in diatomaceous earth to eliminate any insects that might get in and your all set.
edit on 29-7-2011 by tkwasny because: spelling

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
For about $15 you can get 50 pounds of rolled oats, $10 you can get 50 pounds of cracked corn. Both from feed supply companies. It would be horrid to have to eat to live, instead of live to eat with this but it's better than what happens to everyone in the book "One Second After".

If the corn or oats go bad mix it into your garden for mulch. During "the event" both can be used as bait to capture protein as well as you can eat it.

Mighty cheap insurance policy to have 500 pounds of oats and corn in 80 GL sealed plastic trash containers. Sprinkle in diatomaceous earth to eliminate any insects that might get in and your all set.
edit on 29-7-2011 by tkwasny because: spelling

Another source of CODEX food grade diatomaceous earth if your in the Lancaster, PA area is Bird-in-Hand Farm Supply, 2805 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bird-in-Hand, PA 17505. (That's rte 340 right by the Bird-in-Hand farmers market)
edit on 29-7-2011 by tkwasny because: Typo correction

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Get over yourself. You're the type of person who will criticize someone no matter how many supplies they buy.

Unless someone is living on a full farm (livestock & dozen acre produce growing) in the country side (300 miles from major population center), near a pure water source (no upstream pollution), with a full hardened bunker, full solar power set up, 100,000 gallon fuel supply and generators, multi-family compound, 10 year food supply, and enough guns & ammo to repel the Mexican army, you are going to chime in and criticize them how under prepared they are.

Fact is, these folks are more prepared than 98% of the people out there, even with just their first $560 purchase. So lighten up and don't be so critical.

Im asking questions the OP might not have thought of. slow down on jump the gun and getting a crazy on me. Im not here to bash people, only to make them think long term

new topics

top topics

join